Patricia W
Patricia W
  • Eugene, OR
Asked on Feb 19, 2013

An Old spitoon.

DeniseOhSallySharron Abrams
+6

I found a very old hammered solid brass spitoon today at Humane Society thrift shop. I certainly dont want to turn it into a planter. Its about a two gallon size and very cool. Id love some ideas or thoughts on what I might use it for.
  • 3po3

I have no bright ideas, but your question got me wondering, so I looked up the history of spitoons on Wikipedia. It's pretty interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spittoon

• Amanda E.

vingate umbrellas is my first thought, it that's your style.

• Sweet Inspirations by JP

Hmmm..garden gloves, a trowel and hand rake would make a cute garden vignette! And maybe some jute tied around the rim and attach a seed packet to hang off of it for some garden color.

• Patricia W

Thank you for the cute ideas! Ill post a pic when Im finished!

• Gail Salminen

@Patricia W not sure how your kitchen is set up, but maybe to hold the large utensils in a handy spot. I use a very large plant pot for mine, but it might be a little smaller than 2 gallons. You may also be able to transform it into a bubbling fountain. Or perhaps using it upside down as a stand for something.

• Carroll A

If you post a picture of it, you might get more suggestions, depending on the shape, it could hold kindling next to the fireplace. Hide tp in it next to the toilet. LOL

• Sharron Abrams

OK I GOT IT !!! Take it outside - put sand in the bottom and decorative rock on to then add a solar light with dollar store finds like glass birds etc. put it where you need night light - would look great in the garden or pathway up to the door. Hope it helps - let me know????? please

• OhSally

I have an antique brass train chamber pot. On the side, it has a sign that says not to dump the pot out the train window! I use it in my bathroom to hold small things that tend to clutter up bathroom countertops. It just seems fitting to have a chamber pot in the bathroom. A spitoon...to me...seems more of a family room accessory than a kitchen one. If you have a fireplace, depending on the size of your spittoon you might put fire-starters, long matches or butane lighters in it on your hearth to keep them handy and out of sight.

• Denise

A fountain in the garden, or even a tabletop one?