A DIY Turquoise Front Door

$50

Remember back in this post when I lamented over our front door color? I wasn't sure what to choose that was going to go with our red brick exterior and brown screen door. Well, ever since I painted our screen door black, my color options for our front door were wide open. I could go with any of my original contenders (yellow, red, or navy), or could stay true to my aqua-loving self. The result? A turquoise
a diy turquoise front door, curb appeal, doors, paint colors, painting
First step was to tape off the door. I used an "exterior surfaces" painter's tape from ScotchBlue that I hadn't tried before (this is the stuff). The special feature is that with a bit of pressure when you are ripping it off the roll, it tears off in a straight line - no scissors needed or wonky cuts! It only took a few tries of getting used to breaking it off, and it really made things a cinch. Taping off all of these little windows took waaaay less time.
When I was browsing my Martha Stewart paint deck, I saw her teal colour (called "araucana teal") and I was sold. It's a really saturated color, knew it would go well with our red brick and black accents, and it just felt happy to me.
I had it colour-matched at the Home Depot to CIL's exterior paint in a satin finish. [Update: After living with this paint finish for a while, I would recommend going with a semi-gloss or gloss finish. We found that the satin finish marked easily.]
I gave the door a sanding before getting started. I didn't go overboard, as we will replace this door when we do our major addition/reno, but I wanted to get some of the major dings sanded down a bit. Then I washed it down with a soapy cloth, let it dry, and got started on painting. Remember that your paint job is only going to be as good as your prep work, so make sure to put the time in (even though I know how annoying it can be!).
Want to see the rest of the tutorial and the final product? Head over to the full post here.

• Paint  (CIL)
  • Painter's tape  (hardware store)
The Sweetest Digs

• Marcia

I usually paint my storm and screen doors the same color as the main door. (When it is just a screen door, I remove it in the colder weather.)

• Debbie Nelson

Would the teal door look ok on a yellowish brick house?

• Loretta

I painted my front door turquoise with taupe colored siding and I love it!
  • Kathy ortiz

Was the door metal or woodwood?I have a metal door.
    • Denise

It's definitely wood. You don't get the uneven look meaning dings or grooves with a metal door-a very smooth surface.

• Mylinda

I love your teal door! That may be my next color. Right now mine is orange...
  • Nancy

I love how everybody is going bold in colors,teal is not one of my favorites but it is beautifully done you deserve a pat on the back!