Large Bathroom Mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet

Everyone hates the 6+ foot mirror that all main bathrooms seem to come with. Soooo we took an idea from a fellow pinterester and made it our own (so to speak). This is NOT a one day project but the results are worth the time :)
You will need
1"x4" MDF (32 ft)
1/2 birch plywd
Trim (40 ft)
Baseboard (3 ft)
All building supplies for the mirror/cabinet project approx. 40.00
Lights - 38.00 each on
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, took mirror off then checked out pinterest for ideas then realized it didnt have to come off
Took mirror off then checked out pinterest for ideas then realized it didnt have to come off :(
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, soooo removed the one 4 light fixture and put in 2 two bulbed light fixtures The advantage to removing the mirror was we could cut the drywall behind the mirror to make new holes for the new lights
Soooo removed the one 4 light fixture and put in 2 two bulbed light fixtures The advantage to removing the mirror was we could cut the drywall behind the mirror to make new holes for the new lights
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, Room primed and painted and the mirror was reattached
Room primed and painted and the mirror was reattached
also painted our cabinets in a trim and door paint
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, middle cabinet in place new light fixtures connected and now onto the framing of the mirrors
Middle cabinet in place new light fixtures connected and now onto the framing of the mirrors
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, bottom of cabinet dressed then realized I needed more height to cover the original light hole grrr
Bottom of cabinet dressed then realized I needed more height to cover the original light "hole" grrr
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, NOTE the cabinet was not from the counter top up it was actually started at the back splash just because the back splash is beveled and it just made it easier to start with something flat and dress and trim the bottom
NOTE: the cabinet was not from the counter top up it was actually started at the "back splash" just because the "back splash" is beveled and it just made it easier to start with something flat and dress and trim the bottom
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, we also spray painted the knobs a brushed nickel
We also spray painted the knobs a brushed nickel
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, and spray painted the hugger lights with the brushed nickel
And spray painted the hugger lights with the brushed nickel
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, the supports for the floating shelves
The supports for the floating shelves
large bathroom mirror redo to double framed mirrors and cabinet, bathroom ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, finished floating shelf project
Finished floating shelf project

• Dale Petrishe

Mountings for large (6') bathroom mirrors. How do you hang & "frame out" a mirror that has the plastic scew mounts?

• Roc3948111

What color did you paint the walls and cabinets?

• Creativity is Great

Love the transformation....I have a smaller mirror about half the size and need a way to spruce it up exception I have a light switch and a receptacle under it between the bottom of the mirror and top of vanity so I don't know how I can cover that eyesore....any ideas?

• Ivory

This is exactly the style I designed for my bathroom. I've been looking for a center cabinet to place between my very large ugly mirror, but the ones I found and liked, coast to much, where did you fine your piece, and did you pay a lot for it? I don't know how to frame my mirror, can you give detail steps, and the type of moulding used? You did a very nice job!

• Sue

I'm trying to find a cabinet also and it's not easy! I live near you in Lemont, so if you find one, please put your source on here! It's begInning to look like we may have to build a cabinet!

• Ivory

Hi Sue, I agree. You and I might have to put our heads together and we girls build our own. In the meantime, I'll keep looking and if I find one or two, ill be sure to let you know.

• Ivory

Hey Sue, there were another homeowner on hometalk framed his large mirror without cutting or removing it. He also build his cabinet that sat between his now two framed mirrors. Looks much easier.

• Doris Pope

The cabinet with the sinks. I have a bottom cabinet with 2 doors under each sink and in the middle an opening with one very shallow drawer, the only drawer in the bathroom. Do you know who made the bottom cabinet? I know we would have to remove what we have and put in a new one but I would consider that.

• Jean Myles

Could you tell me how or what you did in the window to get that nice blue glow?

• Bel4648665

What's the name of paint color on your walls?

• How did you convert the one light fixture to two?

• Renee

She changed out one four light fixture for two two light fixtures.

• Lidia Chelkowska

Most likely ran 2 new wires that connected to the old middle wire. Just twist 2 new pieces with the old wire, whites to white, blacks to black, and bares to bare, and tighten with wire nuts.

• Arsheen Anadil

hi, do u have any link which shows steps about the middle cabinet

• Maybe I'm dense or just missed it but you hang two floating shelves above the toilet. (Which is great love it) but why does it look like you put a moulding right against the toilet in the left wall?? I'm sorry just seriously confused. Please explain to me. Thanks
    E.Martin

• Mil28799364

I believe what appears to be moulding on the left side is the door frame that encloses the toilet area.

• Lynda Delpino

LOVE WHAT YOU DID,,I WISH I HAD A LARGER BATHROOM SO I COULD COPY YOU

• Jean

The shelves are centered over the toilet, which has equal space on either side.

• Carole Mathews

If you purchased the shallow cabinet in the middle of your bathroom counter, what was the source? Thank you!

• Tess

where do you get the cabinet?

• Gsc27291384

Several of us want to know where you got the cabinet between the mirrors.

..

• Laura Bolea

What brand of brushed nickel spray paint did you use for the fixtures and the hardware and where did you get it? We’ve been looking for a product like that for ages, but can’t find anything that doesn’t look like spray paint, if that makes sense. TIA!

• Kal21880830

We have used Rustoleum spray paint in brushed nickel for all of our fixtures. And it looks just like the real thing and holds up very well. It is available at Home Depot, Lowes and Amazon. The key is to clean your fixture and rough it up slightly with steel wool for the best adhesion, then spray two or three light coats, letting it dry between each coat. Hope this helps.

• Cathy Hays

I’ll second that. Rustoleum makes a line of spray paint made to look Like metals. Awesome product

• Lana

YESSS!! RUSTOLEUM makes AMAZING metallic spray paint colors -- even oil-rubbed bronze & copper! For BEST results clean the item & rough it up a bit with steel-wool for adherence, then spray at least 2-3 LIGHT coats... letting dry between each! Makes a huge difference on door-knobs, faucets, hardware, mirror/picture-frames, ANYTHING that needs a beautiful metallic finish! EnJoY!!

• Barbara Sotak

How can I change mr rectangle mirror into an arched mirror without removing it.

• Donna Bailey

Hi, I would hustle around and find a large old picture frame. I don’t have any more details than a rectangle mirror into an arch. That’s what I’d do.

• C Crow

Here's what some Hometalkers did with lovely results. Perhaps you could do something similar with an arch shape: https://www.hometalk.com/4658877/mirror-builders-grade-turned-trumeau

• Lana

IF the arched top doesn't have to be a mirrored addition... you could frame it & add a shaped WOODEN arch over the top of the existing mirror (if there's ROOM), & paint the arch gold/silver/white or any color you like... you could decorate the frame/arch with glue-on 'jewels' or a stenciled design or whatever your imagination tells you! OR go shop for an antique carved architectural piece to add to the top of your mirror! EnJoY!!

• Kelli norris

Is it the same mirror just framed out?

• Sandy Davis Shipe

Yes...with a small shelf unit inbetween.

• Lana

Yes! I've seen that design - with a sm shelf-unit added in the middle to divide the huge mirror into halves - used by designers on HGTV! It's a great way to avoid taking down a huge old mirror or having to buy 2 new ones! Love it!

• Mrs8137178

I love what you did, it’s very nice to say the least. My question is ... what would you suggest in regards to the following pictures?

• Mary Subiran

Where did you find the cabinet? Thank you

• Katherine

Hi,

Great job! How did you remove the mirror in the first pic.? I have round mirrors that I want to put up but I have a use for my huge existing mirror.

thanks, Kat

• Pat

Our huge mirror was supported by special "clips" meant to hold a mirror. Check yours, if there are clips, it's as easy as taking a screw driver to unscrew the clips and lift mirror down, careful! Mirror is HEAVY!

• Cari

Can you give some instruction and measurement on building the cabinet in front of the mirror?