DIY Sharpie Mugs Using Dollar Store Mugs

Looking for ideas for a Christmas or birthday gift? How about a fun and inexpensive craft project? Here's a tutorial for how to make DIY Sharpie mugs using Dollar Tree mugs, Sharpies, and letter print-outs or stickers.
An easy, inexpensive, and beautiful gift for almost anyone.
Materials:
-Dollar Store mugs (these seem to work best so the paint adheres and doesn't wash off)
-Printed letters, letter stickers, or vinyl letters
-Tape (only if you are using the printed letters)
-OIL-BASED Sharpie markers (the regular Sharpies will not last)
First, wash your mug. Then tape or adhere your letter(s) to the mug.
Dot around the letter. Start with closely packed dots right next to the letter and gradually space your dots out as you get further out on the mug. You can either take your letter stickers off now or at the end of the project.
Continue dotting until you have filled up your desired space, gradually increasing the space between dots as you go. You can go all the way around the mug or stop your dots at a designated spot. If you haven't taken your letter stickers off, take them off. Let your mug dry for 24 hours. Put your mug in a COLD OVEN and preheat the oven (while the mugs are inside) to 250 degrees. Once the oven is preheated, bake the mug for 2 hours and LET IT COOL IN THE OVEN. If you don't let the mug cool, it could shatter from the rapid change in temperature. (Note: Make sure your marker does not go in the place that your recipient would drink from. In my case, I left the opposite side of the mug blank, so my gift recipient could drink from that side).
Want to know how to make these simple mugs? Go to http://www.destinationdecoration.com/sharpie-mug/ for the full tutorial. If you'd like more information what is the best way to make, bake, and care for your Sharpie mug, visit: http://www.destinationdecoration.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-sharpie-mugs/.

Elizabeth Fischer

• Renata

I do ceramics n have a kiln. Am wondering if you have tried firing them n does it come off if u fire like ur firing on a decal.? I hate glazing when I do ceramics. Most never seem to come out like I want them to.

• Carol Cosgrave

Can you use Sharpie on Oven safe Glassware as well, I'm wondering if it would bake clear or translucent for a "stained glass" effect