DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

DIY Fall Acorns Using Plastic Eggs

I saw this cute acorn idea floating around the internet and I wanted to make a few for my Fall decorating this year. These are so easy to make, you wont believe it!
diy fall acorns using plasinc eggs, crafts, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
If you like the natural look for your Fall decorating then these fun little acorns are just for you!
I used a few of my yard sale bargain eggs in my stash. Any color is fine because you're going to be painting them anyway.
I used Krylon spray paint in the oil rubbed bronze color because its brown and I had it on hand already. I used 3 light coats to cover them all and then I let them dry really good before handling them.
I couldn't snap a picture of this step, but take your two matching halves and hot glue them back together.
Now grab your jute twine and a pine cone. Break off several of the "petals" of the pine cone and have them ready to hot glue them to your egg.
Hot glue your "petals" one at a time until you've gone all the way around your egg.
Now add one or two more rows of "petals" until you get the look you like. See how the rough edges of the "petals" are sticking up above the egg? Use your scissors and trim those down as close as you can get them.
Next, glue a small piece of a stick to the top of your egg for the stem of your acorn. To cover the rough edges up, glue the twine from the edges of the petals to the stem.
I decided to make one that was all twine just to see how I liked it....and I liked it!
This one only got two rows of petals and then I added the twine to finish it off.
I really enjoyed making these little cuties mostly because they were so easy to put together. They add such a fun look to my Fall decorating too!

DeeDee

• Gina

How did you get the petals off in one piece? Mine keep cracking 😞

• DeeDee

Gina, they may be overly dry, but I'm not sure. Maybe try cutting them off with scissors? My Mama has two trees in her yard so we have a never ending supply of fresh cones at all times! LOL!

• Tammy King

I am always wondering how people come up with certain ideas & this is one! How did you ever think to do this! They are so cool & really look like acorns!! How did you ever think to use the pine-cones for that part of the acorn?? It works soooo well! All i can say is WOW!

• DeeDee

LOL! I actually saw a similar idea on the internet and went from there. Thank you!!

• DeeDee

Maybe try adding a bit of hot glue from the inside before you paint? Good luck!

• Cindy

Really tickled to find this, I will be looking for my egg basket!