Asked on Sep 29, 2015

Curb appeal

BrendaBarbCamille
+34

I am renting this house. Would love ideas on ways to improve the curb appeal. Any suggestions?
    Janet Pizaro

First how long are you planning to stay? I am assuming that is the front of the house so there are so many beautiful plants you can put in pots for color. Without spending a lot of money go to HomeDepot for broken bags of mulch or rock and in between the planted pots put that in.Then if you have space add sheppard hooks with hanging plants maybe a bench and some garden decor.

• Eddy Foster Beard
    Eddy Foster Beard

We will be here a long time. It is lovely inside. I am in a wheelchair and it has been made handicapped accessible.

• Eddy Foster Beard
    Eddy Foster Beard

The yard work will be done. I will enjoy the screened porch but want a welcoming exterior.

Janet Pizaro

Sorry to hear that. I wish I could come and help but unfortunately Im in NY. Maybe you can reach out to your local penny saver to see if anyone is willing to help you. I will certainly be glad to guide them with plants along the way. I myself am not well however I ran a garden center for many years and have in the past worked with plants for a long time.Please feel free to send messages or questions.

• Moxie
    Moxie

I would go with potted plants and set them on this or that in some locations to get varied heights for interest and maybe add a bright colored something (maybe even somebody elses trash item) spray painted. Then you can move them around when you want to.

• Lisa Parsons Smith
    Lisa Parsons Smith

Flowering shrubs. Pick a color. Yellow and purple flowers. Pink and white.

• Lisa Parsons Smith
    Lisa Parsons Smith

Are you in south Florida or north where freeze can occur?

• Eddy Foster Beard
      Eddy Foster Beard

I should have included location. We are in Albermarle, NC. It is about an hour east of Charlotte. My husband will help with the projects that I dream up. I do not want to create barriers for the mowers but want to make the front appealing.

• Eddy Foster Beard
    Eddy Foster Beard

My husband will help when the plan is created.

• Eddy Foster Beard
    Eddy Foster Beard

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to give it all some consideration when we are ready to tackle that issue. I may have to start with a fall spray on the screen door.

• Bobbi Marshall
    Bobbi Marshall

white crushed rock to fill in the entire area around the bushes, paint the door and the trim around the windows a nice bright color and you can use some colored concrete stain on the walk way, add a few brightly colored flowers about the bushes, beautiful!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I can't tell from your picture, does that landing connect to the driveway?

• Eddy Foster Beard
    Eddy Foster Beard

Here is a more direct photo. The landing is short and does not go to the driveway.

• Elaine DeLong-fuehrer
    Elaine DeLong-fuehrer

fixing any curb appeal on a rented house is money out the door.or ur pocket. but the lawn could use some weed and feed and water, those bushes could be trimmed into a square or round shape.. and weed out the beds around the house. use an edger around sidewalks and driveways. and u could add some potted plants..something that can go with u when u move elsewhere. unless ur landlord is paying u to do that..then knock urself out. U can make the place look attractive w/o spending a bundle of money on some place not ur own..

• Eddy Foster Beard
      Eddy Foster Beard

The lawn should improve a good deal. The house has been unoccupied for some time. A professional lawn service is being hired to care for the lawn. The landlord is taking care that responsibility. I am trying to focus on what can be done on the steps and screen door.

• Denise Boyce
    Denise Boyce

My suggestion is to flank the door with potted plant arrangements. Then one pot on the right side ground level just to the side of the round bush. Find some cute statuary like a kitten or squirrel with smaller potted blooms or large and smaller solar coach lanterns, whatever suits your taste and put on 2nd brick step down. You can change it for the seasons Get some natural grape vine garland and drape the whole top of the screen porch then interweave whatever you like or leave bare even. I would probably try and grow a clematis or wisteria on it myself. I would also install a pair of shutters to the small gable window and add a window box. If you can dyi it'll only cost a few dollars but will make a huge impact. I would not hang a wreath or anything on the upper part of the screen door. I'd think about a basket with the address on it for mail, even a welcome like my photo. Just make sure and hang it from the middle and hang on the lower section.

, change out the plantings per season, a cute grouping for the 2nd step, good example of what I think would look great
  • See More
  • Elaine DeLong-fuehrer
    Elaine DeLong-fuehrer

can u possibility paint the trim around the screen with the promise to landlord that u will paint it back to white before u move out.? when u open the screen door does it open across the porch..like out? the little stoop doesnt have room for much. the house u have moved into is so cute i like the ideas Denise stated. for the stairs. trimming back the foliage around the house..is this the front entrance? does this porch face the road? annual flowers and hanging baskets..what ideas are U wanting to do?

• Sharon
    Sharon

Removing the overgrown shrubs would be a start. Add two hollies in their place ( have to get the right species) and some smaller plants like nandenias and pots of flowers.

• Eddy Foster Beard
      Eddy Foster Beard

@Sharon I like that idea. The shrubs just seem to overpower everything and are out of balance with the rest of the landscaping.

• Renee
    Renee

Cheap idea, but I would add a colorful weather vein on that roof peak. Also, you could make some stepping stones and stain those the same color or matching as weather vein to your driveway. Just a couple of low cost ideas for ya, hope you find them helpful.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I usually design in zone 7b, so some of my selections might be unreliable, but I took the liberty of taking your photo and doing a picture design. Basically the bushes in front are too big for the house and the landscaping beds. I think a walkway would be beneficial for both aesthetics and practical using some material that will match the brick on the wall, I added in some low retaining walls to define the beds. Also an important feature is to add an evergreen corner shrub on both sides, with consistant plant material on both sides. If you want the plant list I used, you can email me. :)

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Here is the revised plants based on 7b. I have included a plant list on the picture.

• You should think about incorporating hardscaping, pavingstones and wallstones by Cambridge with Armortec to this area to give it a new look with a lot of curb appeal. How about making your landscape a focal point with a Cambridge landscape wall. You can also add pavingstone steps and a pavingstone walkway that leads to your driveway for some added style and charm. By linking to Cambridge’s Designscape Visualizer you can upload your photograph and actually re-design using Cambridge Pavingstones and Wallstones. Visit our website at www.cambridgepavers.com

• Dawn Gagnon
    Dawn Gagnon

Depending on your budget, some cute flower boxes on the front where the porch is would be adorable, and also, Im thinking some shutters for the windows could introduce some interest and color. I also love using iron grilles where there are blank areas on the walls. I always like to see what opportunities there are for vertical interest :D

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

I found the above ideas terrific. It's so nice when people offer their talents to help you! I'm not much of a gardener (although I do try), and grow milkweed to attract the butterflies (you have to clean them out each fall or they will take over your yard), have spring flowers that come up every year, a hyacinth that blooms in the backyard, and a hydrangea that is old, but, healthy, in the front. The rest I put in pretty pots so I can move them around. If you like wind chimes they can be very peaceful, and are easy to move around. I light up my yard with solar lights. A simple way to create a little oasis. I'm planning a little zen garden this year with a solar stone lantern I received for Christmas. Pretty colors and soothing elements are my best advice. Enjoy your new home!
  • Kauai Breeze
    Kauai Breeze

I would build planting boxes to mount under the porch windows. Shelf brackets work fine for holding them and they can be taken down when it's time for new plants. The plants would be visible from the inside too. Paint some trim work to accent door and windows. All white is too boring to the eye.
    • Beth Parsons
      Beth Parsons

I agree. That was my first thought, too. Window boxes under the screenEd windows would do a lot to create a pretty, welcoming appearance.
  • Camille
    Camille

Window Shutters would accent the spaces around your windows.
  • Barb
    Barb

Kauai and Camille are right and add 2 urn flower pot at the door and a couple lanterns coming down the stairs. Add lace valances in the porch window with a candle in each porch windows and the other front window, giving it that cottage cozy look. Add a star over the left peak.
  • Barb
    Barb

Firgot to add the photos
  • Brenda
    Brenda

Why has this post been made current? It’s been over two years since she asked for help. I don’t understand why these old posts keep popping up on hometalk.
  • Your comment...