How to Clean Oven Racks (In the Bathtub)!

My oven was DIRTY and I needed a solution for cleaning the large oven racks. I searched online for ways to do this and decided dryer sheets and dish soap were worth a try since I already had them on hand. Lo and behold, it WORKED!
how to clean oven racks in the bathtub, appliances, cleaning tips, how to
You simply need dryer sheets, dish soap, and a bathtub large enough to fit your oven racks.
I lined the bathtub with old towels so the racks didn't scratch the surface. I then placed the racks one on top of the other right in the tub.
I filled the tub with hot water (enough to cover the racks), added 1/2 cup dish soap and 6 dryer sheets. I let this sit for about 8 hours. The racks will still appear dirty after this time, but the gunk has been softened.
I grabbed the dryer sheets that had been soaking and wiped the racks clean. The gunk literally comes right off with barely any effort. You can see the difference between the right and left sides. What a simple and inexpensive solution!
Andrea @ Life Love Larson

• Mary Axon

does it matter what kind of dish soap ya use? forgot ta ask in last comment.

• Mary Axon

How to Clean Oven Racks

• Mary Axon

I had put mine inside garbage bags 'n' kinda 4got about them a few days .... but when I need'd ta use the oven I rem. that they were still in the bags w.ammonia so I grab'd 1 at a time 'n' rinsed it off in warm/hot water, but they didnt come very clean at all :( .... might try usin' the tub,dish soap,dryer sheet idea .... if that dont do the trick then I give up .... · does it matter what kind of dish soap ya use? forgot ta ask in last comment.

• Janise L Kasper

If you go to the dollar store, buy the oven cleaner. Put racks into large garbage bag, spray cleaner in bag, or spray before putting inside, leave overnight, you should end up with racks you simply have to rinse. You might have a couple tough spots, they come off easily with a little rub. I have cleaned them this way for years works great for me

• Cheryl C

I never buy dryer sheets. Can I use fabric softener?

• SooUu

I never buy dryer sheets either because of the plethora of toxic chemicals and the risk of my tumble dryer catching on fire but I think I'll buy a pack and keep it just for things like this

• Lala Rute

How can I get melted plastic off my oven rack? Kid turned on the oven before checking inside..

• Mjw4651702

Take the rack outside and use a hand long handled lighter to melt the plastic. I did the same thing. The heat will soften the plastic making it easier to remove. Take your time and be careful.

• Ani813542

Do you have to use the dryer sheets or can you use liquid softener? (Downey/Snuggle)

• Lynn

@Anitaward333 yes u can. i use liquid b/c i dont use the sheets. u can use it in the water or put it on old towels then place them directly on the racks for awhile, then wash with the dawn.

• Arlene

It was just the opposite for me. I tried liquid softener and it didn't do a thing. I also use really hot water.

• Kathy

I did this and left them in the solution for 24 hours and it took about half of it off. Did I do something wrong?

• Ani813542

I did this to racks that were 11 years old and got the same results. I think it's best to do this a couple times a year. Lol

• Heather McEwen

Maybe the water cooled down too much so the grime hardened?

• Yvonne LoCicero Smith

will this work on cookie sheets?? I don't live in Gouverneur, don't even know where that is. I do live in upstate NY though

• Patty

Yes it works on grill racks. This is the best way to clean the oven racks and grill racks. One thing I do is of course I use nothing but hot water but to speed up the process I boil a huge pot of water and add that to the hot water already in the tub so it loosens up the gunk that much faster. Whether you add the boiling water or not you will be amazed at how well this works. I buy the cheapest dryer sheets I can to use just for this.

• Jo Reynolds

Will this work on grill racks?

• Jan Pearsall

Living in Sydney Australia, have not heard of this product, what is a dryer sheet?

• Loreta

I originally moved here from Melbourne over 30 years ago!! Anyway, dryer sheets are a disposable product that comes as approx. 15cm by 15 cm sheet in boxes of 30 or more that have fabric softeners and anti-static properties that are individually placed in a clothes dryer along with clean wet clothes. As the clothes dry, the sheets release fabric softeners to make whatever you are drying softer and a bit fluffier than they would be normally dried. Almost all add a scent of your choice as well. I know you have them there, but they go by a very different moniker, and I can't remember it right now. Good luck! Loreta

• Loreta

• SooUu

I live in Brisbane Australia and use dryer sheets to clean my showers. Look in the laundry detergent/fabric softener aisle of Coles or Woollies

• Jan Pearsall

Thank you both. Cheers Jan

• Diane Schule

Cleaning oven racks with dish detergent and dryer sheets: haven't you left grease and gunk from the racks in your bathtub with this process? Doesn't that clog your tub drain? Eeuuw!

• Dagna Ray

Put a strainer over the drain then use Dawn dish soap and hot water for any grease in the drain.

• Mary-Beth Janisse

I clean my oven racks in the tub all the time and yes it does leave a residue in the tub, which I clean afterward, my drain does not get clogged with it

• Dana

If your drain gets clogged you could use the vinager and bi carb (baking soda) trick. Works great.

• Julie Magyar

Does that work for grill racks too?

• Donna Mix

It would make too much of a mess in the tub, I think. Instead, slide your barbecue racks into a new, heavy-duty black trash bag and add half a cup to a cup of ammonia. Tie the bag shut tightly and lay it in the sun. After several hours—or overnight if you wish—remove the racks & rinse them thoroughly. Let them air-dry, or wipe them down with a clean rag or paper towels. Re-tie the trash bag and put it in the trash can, with the ammonia and mess still inside. Mess gone, racks clean, really nothing to clean up. ;) Donna Mix, Helena, MT.

• Ani813542

Love it!

• Charlene Santos

Works on oven racks and burners also

• Jackie Byrd

What is the magic ingredient(s) in dryer sheets that make them such good cleaning wipes? There seem to be 1000 uses for them other than soften clothes in the dryer.

• Arlene Cabral

Please tell us what a dryer sheet is,? From South Africa.

• Dix3931477

A dryer sheet is a disposable kind of paper, which has been treated with some kind of fabric softener and dried onto the paper. You put them in the clothes dryer and they soften your clothes. Also seem to soften hardened messes. :)

• Mim13051673

Save your used dryer sheets, they magically clean stove glass tops with a little detergent

• Joa8101653

A dryer sheets main purpose is to be put in the dryer with your damp clothes so that they will come out soft and it also removes the static electricity.

• Linda

Does this work for the burners also?

• Liz Gillham

Hi, if your burners are gas & gone black that's carbon build up. The best way I have found to clean them is tomato ketchup, just put them in a container & cover with ketchup & leave them overnight. wash off next day. Hope that helps

• Mary Miller

A GREAT way to clean the burners is to put them in a large Ziplock bag, add 1/4 cup of ammonia, seal the bag and let sit overnight. They instantly wipe clean.

• Teresa Hall

KETCHUP?!?Really?!? That is amazing. Gotta try it for sure. Thanks!😉

• Sue

Never heard to dryer sheets here in England. What are they?

• Bren Dupree

They are sheets of soft webbed paper that is made to add to your clothes in your dryer to soften and help your clothes small better. A brand here in America is Bounce and suavitel and Downey. They come in a box of 40 or 80 or 120 sheets

• Lisa-Marie Waterreus

No I haven't heard of them either here in NZ

• L3m10757537

They are used in the dryer to soften clothes as they dry. You've probably never heard of them because they have known toxins and your country is smart enough not to use them.

• Tri10419186

They are basically fabric softener in a dry sheet that you throw into the dryer rather than using liquid fabric softener in the washing machine. When the steam from drying clothes combines with the softener in the sheet, it covers the clothes with the stemed softener reducing static and usually adding a fragrant aroma.

• Michele Carey Balme

That's good because dryer sheets are not good for you or your home. They have hormone mimickers and are not good. You dry your clothes with them and those chemicals are now on your clothes, then on your body, seeping into your skin. If you are using these to clean oven racks that shows how powerful they are! Use wool dryer balls!

• Dana

Just use fabric softener instead about 1/2 cup I think this would work. We don't use dryer sheets because we mostly dry our clothes on a line.

• Mary Bunk

No dryer sheets.... put some fabric softener, about 2 teaspoons full on a washcloth ( any material ). And toss it in the dryer. I agree about 1/2 c. give or take should work. I do it this way because I use liquid softener and hang outside.

• Bic11813587

They are impregnated sheets of fabric like material, goes into the dryer where the heat realeases the fabric softner.

• Kat1844008

Bounce are the uk brand

• Tri11996783

Baking soda and water will do the same for your oven and racks. Dryer sheets, yes a huge convenient major pollution causing piece of corporate cr*p. Use dryer balls in the dryer.

• Teresa Hall

It is liquid fabric softener incorporated into.special sheets of paper. You can do same thing by putting liquid fabric softener on wash cloth or the like and putting in dryer with clothes as they dry.

• Bon13108899

Once again, clarifying the size of a dryer sheet - most are approx. 6" x 9" - or as mentioned, about the size of a washcloth - not a bed sheet!

• Jean Brazeau

Does it clean the oven too?

• Lynda Kotis

I doubt the oven would fit in the bathtub.

• Carla

ha ha that is funny!!!1

• Teresa Hall

Hmmmm.Wonder if heating oven with oven ware pot of water and dish soap and the dryer sheets in the water mixture. Then after getting water got turn oven off. Let everything sit for awhile and try using sheets to wipe off inside of oven. I have not tried,but the method loosens stuff in microwave abd it wipes clean with little effort at all. What to you gals think?Could it work?

• Jona Vos

But would the nice smell not do something with your next dish??? Soapy cake or meat!

• Gina Gray

Cleaning the inside of the microwave is very simple and easy to do. Use a few wet paper towels and place inside of the microwave. Heat the microwave for one minute. Remove and wipe the oven down all the dried food will disappear.

• Gina Gray

• Mlj6385027

What is good for cleaning the glass in the oven door

• Andy p

This might work well kn my BBQ Groll racks also. Will try it now that the season is over.

• Karen

I would be interested if this works on your grill! KarenH Holloway, Ohio

• Che12415452

What will work to clean the top of the stove and grills? Any suggestions?

• Juanita Garcia Cortez

Baking Soda and vinegar soak. After, use a cleaning cream that Sears sells for top of stoves. I use this for stoves and to clean the bottom of my pans to keep gunk off bottom of pans an therefore keep top of stove clean. I clean stove after every use with this cream.

• Ang12978500

Glass cleaner

• Teri Cast

I use the tried and true BAKING SODA! You can buy it in a reclosable bag, cost is around $6-8 but it lasts forever!!! You make a paste of the baking soda and water and just put in on whatever you are cleaning, let it sit a bit (time by how dirty what you are cleaning is) and then simple wipe it off with a wet cloth or paper towel or whatever. I use the baking soda for all my cleaning. Once a week, I put it in the drains and make a paste in my sinks, etc. Little effort, small price.

• Rachael McIntosh

I have always used a garbage bag and some ammonia. Just throw them in, add a few cups of ammonia, tie off then go and let it sit. I usually will do it in the evening and let it sit overnight and clean them in the morning. It stinks but it gets all the gunk off.

• Che12415452

Thank you for all your tips, I will try them

• Tina Wood

What are "Dryer Sheets " please ?

• Alaina Bullock

They are scented sheets you can put in the dryer with a load of clothes that will help reduce the static and scent the clothes.

• MB

Bounce, Snuggle, etc. the sheets you put in the clothes dryer to add softness to your laundry.

• Ldc11966706

Dryer sheets are what are used when you put your clothing into the dryer. Like Bounce.

• Elise Kovac

Bounce sheets, they take out the static in clothes when you tumble dry, they usually come in different scents :)

• Stj7783470

Fabric softener sheets

• Elizabeth Perkins

Fabric softener sheets that you put in the dryer with your clothes.

• Baker-Halterman Linda

Dryer sheets can be bought in any grocery store, Dollar General, etc. They can be found in the laubdry isle. For laundry you just take one sheet and throw it in the dryer with your wet clothrs.. They soften your clothes.

• Bon13108899

I notice no one pointed out the size of the "sheet". Someone not familiar with the term "dryer sheet" may assume they are referring to a bed sheet!

• Pat Curry Davidson

How doi clean glass on oven door

• Diane

Can this cleaning solution be used on grill racks?

• Karen Garner

Do you have a self cleaning oven? I always just leave my racks in the oven when I run it. I have trouble with the edges of the oven door where it is not in the area to get cleaned.

• Pamelia

My oven racks have "Shrunk" -because I cleaned them inside! Don't self clean with them in. My racks fall down now and I have to buy new ones

• Dmotan

If you leave the racks in the oven for cleaning, it changes the finish on the racks and they absorb the grease and gunk easier.

• Nora

It was my understanding that leaving the racks in a self-cleaning oven is not recommended because the racks can or will warp!

• Peggyj330

Self-cleaning instructions say to remove the racks before starting self-clean cycle.

• Arlene

Cleaning ovens with the racks in them can cause the racks to change color, which is irreversible. Using the dryer sheet method has kept both of my ovens looking brand new.

• Marsha Haase Gray

What purpose do the dryer sheets provide? I think this is great but I'm curious as to just what they do in the process.....

• Vic7127185

They soften the build up on the racks.

• JBof4

There's something in dryer sheets that helps deteriorate yuck. I use them when soaking casserole dishes that I can't get the cooked on food, works well

• IFortuna

Wow! What a great solution. Although I use a cookie sheet to set my casseroles, etc. on, the racks still get a build up of grease on them. I appreciate your advice on cleaning them. Even though I don't use my oven that often and it is new, I will need to clean them eventually LOL : )

• Jasmine

or you van pour into the mixture liquid laundry softener instead of the dryer sheets

• CAROL DENZIK

how can i clean the inside glass on oven door

• Sophie

I used baking soda and lemon juice with paper towels lite scrub and the window was clean I was cleaning residue from a well known oven cleaner that just wouldnt come off.

• Joyce Gordon

Use glass top stove cleaner

• Joy martin

Did you have to let it set first Sophie? Or did it come right off?

• Virginia

I dampen a paper towel then dip in baking soda and scrub ...then as a swipe with some vinegar on a paper towel to be sure all the baking soda is gone then a final paper dampened with just water !!! Hope this helps you ,,my oven is 15 + years old and still looks good using this routine !!

• Jackie Dorn

I use the glass top stove liquid (Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner & Polish) on mine. If it works on a glass top stove, stands to reason it will work on the glass window in the door.

• Christine Dwyer

I think you meant cleaning INBETWEEN the 2 sheets of glass. I would like that answer, too

• Jasmine

for baked on grease on the frass door, use baking soda & high strengh white vinegar. use a rough dish scrubing pad such as the green scotch brand.

• Jody

To get between the glass, you need to access the space between the glass sheets that is located under the door. Pull the range drawer below the oven and lay on the floor to see where you can access the recess between panes. Or just feel for it. You can get a tool to clean between or repurpose a coat hanger attaching a soft large rag with glass cleaner on it. Works beautifully! Second time goes faster than first, but it's not difficult once you know how.

• Thora Hausler.

Trust tried the glass top cleaner for stoves and wow!!

• Rosemary Wilkinson

The owner’s manual of my stove said to use soft scrub. This worked fairly well, but I needed lots of elbow grease. I will NEVER let mine get so dirty again! I will try Weiman's next time. It is the best for cleaning my stove top.

• Cpa5474488

Why did u dryer sheets?

• Jasmine

to soften the gunk

• Barbara Cornell

I also use the glass top stove liquid (Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner & Polish) and found that it also works great for the inside of the microwave.

• Penny Hoprich

The fabric softener in dryer softens that gook.

• Dar

Weimar cook top cleaner is amazing for cleaning clear shower doors. I have found nothing better or easier.

• Teresa

would this work on cookie sheets as well?

• Starqueen

Would this work on metal sink racks too?

• Joanp1226

No bathtub, only shower. Is there any other way?

• Pat

Put the racks in a plastic trash bag!

• Donna

What about a large plastic tub?

• Patti

Try placing a plastic lid over your drain and fill the shower base enough to cover the rack. Most showers would hold enough water to cover one rack deep.

• Cheryl

Kiddie pool

• Lois Garnett

Outdoors on the Driveway: -Newspaper on bottom -Oven racks with cleaner(I used over cleaner but Dawn/dryer sheets would work) -Newspapers on top ##Put all in black trash bag & spray inside with hose to wet newspaper & racks Seal bag & sit in hot sun for a day. The clean racks off Keeps the Mess Out of the tub!

• Kristie Smith

Would this work for the grates on a new gas stove? Thanks!

• Joe-Kate LaMountain

This does work for the grates on the stove....I told my sister to do it with hers and she said they looked brand new.

• Uk111633786

Hi, love your idea. I live in the UK and wondered what are dry sheets? Kind Regards

• Anna Christie

They're little sheets of tissue made to put in your dryer to soften clothes. Downy, Bounce.

• Itsmeileen

We have small sheets about the size of a wash cloth, that we put in our clothes dryer to prevent static electricity and soften the clothes a little. there are generally scented.

• Shevawn Martin

Dryer sheets are mostly used instead of softener in the last rinse. You simply put a sheet in the dryer with your laundry. They soften your clothes as they dry and make them smell good also.

• Moc6032243

Dryer sheets. Found in the laundry isle of your store. They are thrown in the dryer with a wet load of laundry to provide softness and remove static.

• Georgia Abraham

She meant 'dryer sheets', eg. Tesco Spring Fresh Tumble Dryer Sheets 40S

• Lisa Hall

The small sheets that you add to the dryer when doing laundry to eliminate static. Hope this helps.

• Che12354360

They are fabric softener sheets you put in the dryer with wet clothes. They prevent static cling and soften the clothes while the clothes dry. Amazon .UK carries them

• Pam

Fabric Softener Sheets come in what looks like a Kleenex Tissue Box. They are what you put in dryer with clothes instead of using liquid fabric softener in the washing machine.

• Talina

Dryer sheets are basically fabric softener on a small piece of cloth. Instead of putting the fabric softener in you wash, you use dryer sheets. They make the cloths soft, and reduce static electricity caused in a dryer.

• Hso12573252

Dryer sheets are added to the dryer to soften and make clothes smell nice You can buy them in Asda. 1.00 pound for 40

• Julia Shaffner Hardy

They are the clothes softening dryer sheets you toss in the dryer like Bounce, Downey, etc.

• Jackie

It's fabric softener in square sheets of soft paper.

• Ruth Gibbons

Do you think that putting some fabric conditioner in the soaking water would work too?

• Laura Krall

I'm wondering if it might work just as well without the dryer sheets - - have you tried it?

• Karen

I've done this with burnt pots. The dryer sheets are what soften the gunk!

• Lau12612495

Dish soap alone does not loosen the gunk...benn cleaning ovens 40 years and this drier sheet works, is less toxic than the old spray on chemicals.

• Pat

I have used powdered dishwasher soap without the dryer sheets and it works also.

• Teri

Would this work on the barbeque grill.

• Pat8826299

Try it.

• Della gordon Baldwin

I believe they will.... they did for me once we had a long winter in Colorado.... I had the gas piped to my Back porch where the grill was.....come Springtime ( try June, SERIOUSLY) I had been grilling. Most of the winter.....and when I came out for a breath of Spring air, there was the GRILL, ugly, greasy and black. Took me most of the morning, Tim came home for lunch around oneO'clock and starving... Whipped up some beef hot dogs on my sparkling Grill.. Go for it, The Family GrillMaster

• Della gordon Baldwin

Yes, I left that cold place....That was a winter not fit for a Louisiana Lady!!

• Maggi Banick

What about fabric softener along with the dish soap?

• Dml13156062

It should work ....the purpose is to soften the grease

• Tracey Lyons

The liquid fabric softener will make the suds go away. If you put too much detergent in your machine, add a half cup of softener and the suds die.

• Sue

After removing cleaned racks, was there much needed cleaning of tub & used towels?

• Mary Hofstra

That's exactly what I was thinking! What do you do with all the gunk that came off? Not sure I want it in my tub or even down the drain!?!? I put mine in a large garbage bag. Put about 1/4-1/2 cup of ammonia in with it. Close the bag up TIGHT! The fumes from the ammonia cleans the gunk off, just wipe them down with rags or paper towels. Easy!

• Denise

I would think that you would just put the towels in the washer. Maybe on spin 1st and them wash them. Clean bathtub as you would normally do.

• Linda Wilson-Smith

Of course you put the towels in the laundry and wipe out your tub.

• Jkb4485624

JSMH.

• Rog

I have stainless steel grates on my gas grill and this is by far the easiest way to clean them and will no doubt work for oven rackes and broiler pans. First get them very hot, then pick up a coarse pad of stainless steel wool with a pair of tongs; with a spray bottle, spritz the steel wool pad to run off with tap water and scrub your hot rack or whatever. The water in the pad flashes to steam effectively steam blasting the gunk while you wipe it away with the steel wool. This method will strip away even the carbonized coating. It works for cast iron (although re-seasoning is required) and every kind of steel there is. Probably not a great idea for porcelain coated steel though. To clean the steel wool pads for reuse, simply run hot tap water through them and whack them on the side of your sink protected with some folded up paper towels until the gunk stops transferring out of the steel wool pad to the paper towels. There are commercially available grill scrubs for just this purpose else a pair of tongs and stainless steel coarse steel wool pads should work just fine.

• Carol Daw

Hi, I'm in New Zealand . I'm not fimiliar with dryer sheets? Could you please explain what they are. Many thanks Carol

• Cat

Dryer sheets are fabric softener sheets you use in the clothes drier

• Denise King Hunt

They are what you put in the dryer to soften clothes. Not sure if it is only a US thing or not. :)

• Dorothy Roush

They are specially treated small sheets of fabric-like paper that are infused with fabric softener. You place one in your dryer with your clean wet clothes and it softens your clothes and takes the static cling out as well.

• Cur5181835

Dryer sheets are squares of a non-woven 'fabric' that are impregnated with a clothes softening agent. You toss one into the clothes drier, along with the clothes, and they are supposed to 'soften' and 'unwrinkle' the clothes similar to the way that a liquid fabric softener does, when added to the last rinse cycle of the washing machine. Personally, I think the liquid softener is better. Dryer sheets come in small boxes, and you pull one out at a time, like Kleenex (tissues).

• Mary Hofstra

They are small almost gauze like sheets, about 50 come in a box at the grocery store. They have been treated with chemicals to make your clothes smell nice as well as reduce static cling. However, like I said, they are treated with chemicals! I use clean tennis balls! They do the same thing for static, just don't have any scent to them! If the tennis balls get dirty, throw them in the wash with a load of towels! They wash up nice!

• Dottie

They are disposable gauze like tissue sheets that you place in the dryer to help soften clothes and help with static cling. You can purchase a box of them in a variety of scents.

• Cur5181835

Also - they have a myriad of other uses. I've heard of them used as a good 'cleaner' for spills and stains on carpet, etc. Quilters often use them as a way to stitch perfect circles or other appliques (stitched with right side against dryer sheet, then a small slit is cut in the dryer sheet and the circle turned inside-out. After pressing, the dryer sheet is cut away from the circle - leaving about 1/2-inch to hold the seam. The circle is then sewn to a background.

• Caroline Reznicek

Dryer sheets usually come in 3" x 6" boxes and are found in the laundry detergent isle near the liquid fabric softeners. (They kind of look like tissues and will also cut out the static on your clothes in the dryer.

• Kathleen

Found this on Amazon, hope it helps!

• Shontae petero

I also live in new zealand and thank you 4 asking that question carol I was just thinkng wat the heck r they lol until I saw ur post☺

• Karalee Krueger

As a final step in their lives, a used dryer sheet is perfect for cleaning the lint filter in your dryer.

• Uk111633786

Hi thanks for your reply. And to all the other people who kindly took the time to reply. Many thanks! Bx

• Caroline Reznicek

If dryer fabric sheets work, I wonder if liquid fabric softener would also work. Has anyone tried that?

• Julia Angleworm

I think the reason for the dryer sheets , is to have a textured scrub cloth, after soaking.

• Janet Howard

Worth a try cause ots the fabric softener in the sheets that's so entering the hunk

• Karen Huff

I would have to agree with Julia Angleworm, point of dryer sheets is to take off debree!

• Joan Kretzschmar

Why not try the liquid and just use the newspaper in tub to rub off debris.

• Esther Shuherk

Will try my bbq racks this way..... Tks for tip

• Vicky

Pretty sure it's the dryer sheets that help to soften the debris so maybe that liquid stuff will work. Post back and let us know!

• Caroline Reznicek

Thanks all of you for your answers. The sheets do give you something to scrub with thats handy and tossable. I have new house with double disgusting ovens. I will try both ways and get back to you.

• Sussieee

I have been saving my "used" dryer sheets for yrs. I put them in any stuck-on pan with dish soap & hot water over nite & in the morning it's a breeze to clean.

• Caroline Reznicek

WOW! Thanks Sussieee...good tip!

• M. M..

I'm concerned about the fumes when you put the racks back in the oven and heat it up. Yes, the racks are rinsed and scrubbed in the tub, but fabric softener leaves such a residue - on everything! Even my hands itch and smell.. does the dryer sheet residue and soap perfume burn off in the first 20 minutes? I think this couldpossibly trigger my migraines, any sort of fume or perfume..

• Lorraine Harry

How to clean the bathroom tiles

• Ela12873471

Why dryer sheets?

• Mary Elizondo

It does work , I tried it on a cooking sheet pan that had burned grease and it came off .

• Janet Busvek

Because they are full of horrible chemicals.

• Roland Deschain

Because they are "softeners".

• Tim

Horrible chemicals? Please...get a life.

• Ac.7290450

I tried this with very dirty oven racks, it still took quite a bit of elbow grease and I still couldn't remove everything,, although my oven racks did look better!

• Vad2336193

Will this work for the grates on top of the stove?

• JoesMom

Use clear ammonia for your stove grates. Put your grates individually in a zip lock bag and pour enough ammonia over it to cover the grate. Let it set over night. The next day take a scrubby sponge and wipe clean. Finish by rinsing in clear hot water. Dry and put back on stove.

• Barrie Templeton

You can put your barbecue grates in the oven, too, and run the clean cycle.

• Natalie Lawson Dorsett

This also works well with baking pans that have baked on gunk.

• Lydiaand6

Do you take the racks back into the kitchen sink and then clean off the gunk? I surely won't want the gunk going doing the bathtub drain?!

• Cristi

You could just do it in a plastic storage tub. That way the bathtub wouldn't have to be cleaned afterward.

• Cat McDonnell

all goes out the same pipes

• Mary Lou Caswell

Good answer😁

• MM

Well then y'all better stop peeing in the shower! Lol

• Carolyn Close Hoyle

I buy the little screen cups that fit in the drain hole. It keeps any hair from going down and clogging things up. Will work for catching the gunk from the racks as well.

• Judy Buckner

Never heard of the screen cups. Where do you get them?

• Tanya Marks

Turn the screen cup upside-down for the tub if you have an attached stopper. Don't have to dirty two "sinks" that way...

• Christy Flanagan

Get the screen cups at WalMart.

• Sue

A large plastic under bed storage bin works beautifully. Do it in the garage. Then you can clean them off in the plastic bin and dump the whole mess out . No messy or scratched bathtub.

• Sherillee Baker

I'd lay an old bath towel in the bottom of the tub first.

• Heidy

She did put towels in the tub first. Thanks for this cleaning hint!

• G_f9331208

If you do not use the scratch preventative towel method & you do not have a refinnished tub but a nice tub & you do get metal marks (scratchmarks but are metal stess marks) you can use BarKeepers Friend or Zud to get them off. Make a paste on the marks, leave on for a few minutes & then rub with a sponge or rag, rinse, & they are gone. This product is the one product that should be in everyone's cleaning closet

• Sue

Did you try doing the same thing without the dryer sheets?

• Teresa

I soak my oven racks in the tub about once a year with a normal amount of laundry soap - I use just hot water and leave them in until the water is cold - they are spotless when removed and wiped.

• Bbunny42

Also, if you have scorched something while cooking it, scrape out as much food as you can, then fill pan with water and a dryer sheet or two and soak overnight. Very little scrubbing is needed to get the pan clean. Whatever is in the dryer sheets to soften your clothes evidently softens a lot of other stuff!

• Lynn Grimes

Have you tried dishwasher soap like Casacad? I even put the racks on top of the stove in the dishwasher. The over racks go in the tub.

• Kay Myers

No, but I'm gonna! I put the mesh filter from my overhead stove fan in the dishwasher all the time.

• Diamondvalleygirl

Can this method be used on the stove top burners?

• Dianna Lynn Belle

I am going to try tonight to see

• Patricia Nevins Randazzo

If you are talking gas stove top burners, I have used the following. Put each burner into a ziplock bag and spray ammonia on them in the bag, both sides. Zip up the bag and let sit overnight and use an SOS pad in the morning to scrub. they will be bright and clean.

• JCBrin

Would this technique work for barbecue grills?

• Mary Lou C

Don't see why not.

• Kathy Allen

Put racks in garbage bag with detergent and vinegar solution. Leave in sunny place for several hours. Remove and rinse .

• Kathy Allen

• Kathy Allen

• Debra White

Yeah it a cast iron grill rack? Think put vinegar in garbage on castiron grip? Would ruin it?

• Arlene

Yup. Did it last summer.

• Eileen

How about the inside of the oven?

• Debra Guski

What about liquid fabric softener?

• Fgj4879865

For fabric softener, I mix one gallon of white vinegar with 26 drops of your favorite essential oil. Shake well and use about 1/4 cup with each load of laundry. It is a great substitute for chemical laden fabric softeners.

• Debra Guski

You don't smell the vinegar at all?

• Marian Gilbert

Woolight works great ! So does Krud cutter

• Julia Angleworm

The FS SHEET with its rough surface is at least90% of the use.not the actual dry fabric softner!

• Mfk

vinegar is good for the fabric softner in the washer - it removes all elements of soap. Add tennis balls to the dryer for less dryer time and fluffy clothes

• Julia Angleworm

We were talking about dryer sheets on oven racks, right?However vinegar does not remove static from your wash, nor does it Sweeten the scent of the laundry also if you continuously use vinegar(an acid on your laundry, you will start getting those tiny holes in your fabric, that spread.

• Alison Osborne

Actually, I think she was asking if you can use liquid fabric softeners (Downey) instead of the fabric softener sheets and in what concentration?

• Amy McDonald

What about cast iron stove top burners?

• Jamee

Amonia works on them too... You can check Pinterest

• Lynn Grimes

Those top black top racks fit in the dishwasher and come out beautiful.

• Arlene

I put the iron grates in the oven when I do a 3 or 5 hr clean. Works great!

• Keeton Logan Janice

self cleaning oven also works great for cast iron skillets cleans all the gunk off the sides and makes them like new. just have to re season them

• Vicki

have a better way to clean those old dirty oven racks.....get a good black garbage bag, put oven racks inside, then pour AMONIA in bag & seal and set aside..waa gunk gone.

• Rhonda Tucker Brommel

I do the same. Works like a charm.

• Rhonda Tucker Brommel

I do the same. Works like a charm.

• Catherine Juhlin

When I was in the US Army when moving from our houses in Europe the stoves always had to be so clean to look like brand new and that's how I cleaned them. I put all of the parts in a large trash bag with ammonia and let it sit over night. Just stand back for the fumes when you open it in the morning, hot water and the gunk is gone.

• Kd715694175

I did that once and it took the shine -finish- off my racks.

• Lynn Grimes

Oven racks..... Soak in the tub of hot water and "dishwasher".

• Tom Cindy Borgard

Mine too, turned my racks dark awful looking. That does not work on all oven racks so watch it.
    • Tom Cindy Borgard

• Tom Cindy Borgard

• Lynn Zubich

Can you soak the racks in a plastic tub?

• Constance Gagne

As long as you have enough towels covering the area you are using in your plastic tub there will be no problem.

• Ellen Meehan

If you mean a tote type tub ..yes you can
    • Kathy Kos

I wouldn't do this again in a plastic form batgrub. The tub is hard to get clean.
      Place racks in a heavy duty garbage bag (contractors black bags) add all cleaning ingredients and hot water to cover racks well when laying down. Secure the bag shut and lay outside in the sun. Heat from the sun helps keep the water warm, loosening the gunk.
    • 13526476

This is how I clean my oven racks, stove grates and BBQ grill. So much easier than finagling oversized racks in the sink or bathtub!
  • Shu4598305

Can I put my racks from my charcoal barbecue grill in a bag with the ammonia also
  • Arlene

I have to admit Andrea, this is definitely the best way I've ever found to clean oven racks. I even clean my outdoor grill racks this way. I let mine soak overnight. In the morning I wipe them clean with the wet dryer sheets. And there's no horrible fumes or discoloraction. They literally look brand new . Thank for sharing with us!
    • Pat Huschle

What does the tub look like after that?

• Arlene

I put an old towel in the bottom first to avoid scratching the tub (mine is fiberglass). It's really not as dirty as you might think. I just clean it with some Dawn a voila!
  • Kathleen Cavano

Does this work on porcelin racks from the bbq
    • Carol Clouser

Take a porcelain racks put them in a heavy duty garbage bag or double two garbage bags put some ammonia in there with Dawn soap tied up leave it in the sun and the next day open it up and spray it off with the hose works wonders
    • Donna Pitcher Fromm

Yes!

• Lynda

is it wise to have all that grease wafer go down the drain ???
    • Carol Clouser

I said the same thing I'm not putting that down my drain.

• Toni

Dawn will dissolve
    • Debby Dale

The dish soap will break down the grease and the old towels will grabs most of the hardened stuff or you can put a screen over drain. This will not hurt your drains.
    • Rashida Erskine

It's not like globs of grease are being flushed down the drain - it's no more than the grease on pots and dishes being washed in the kitchen sink! The bathtub is just a bigger space to accommodate those racks and the same amount of grease would go down the drain as would, if washed in the kitchen sink.
    • Pap8277254

Lord, common sense. Not greasy. She showed us before hand. Negative Nellie's are why people struggle with sharing their thoughts and ideas for others, Nellie's typically have nothing else in lives and choose to tear apart.
    • Sandandshells

I agree with Papenhagen.r - may common sense prevail. I use garbage bags and empty them down the outdoor drain I have. Haven't tried the dryer sheets, but will give that a go next time.

• Dana Mattingly

What about the grills on the top of your stove? Would this work for them? It's a gas stove.
    • Sandra

Look above at Carol’s answer. This will clean those gas burner grill tops.

• Marcy

Great idea. And all of the precautions you took to accommodate leftover residue were excellent and protect tub too. Thanks for the idea

• Cha11310122

Yes I Will try it