How to Clean Oven Racks (In the Bathtub)!

My oven was DIRTY and I needed a solution for cleaning the large oven racks. I searched online for ways to do this and decided dryer sheets and dish soap were worth a try since I already had them on hand. Lo and behold, it WORKED!
You simply need dryer sheets, dish soap, and a bathtub large enough to fit your oven racks.
I lined the bathtub with old towels so the racks didn't scratch the surface. I then placed the racks one on top of the other right in the tub.
I filled the tub with hot water (enough to cover the racks), added 1/2 cup dish soap and 6 dryer sheets. I let this sit for about 8 hours. The racks will still appear dirty after this time, but the gunk has been softened.
I grabbed the dryer sheets that had been soaking and wiped the racks clean. The gunk literally comes right off with barely any effort. You can see the difference between the right and left sides. What a simple and inexpensive solution!
Andrea @ Life Love Larson

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 57 questions
  • Kathleen Cavano Kathleen Cavano on Jul 16, 2017
    Does this work on porcelin racks from the bbq
  • Lynda Lynda on Jul 16, 2017
    is it wise to have all that grease wafer go down the drain ???
  • Dana Mattingly Dana Mattingly on Sep 10, 2017
    What about the grills on the top of your stove? Would this work for them? It's a gas stove.

Comments

3 of 439 comments
  • Jeannie.mcquaid Jeannie.mcquaid on Dec 10, 2019

I had a roast pan that had burned on drippings (the roast was great, the pan was not) that I couldn't budge with scouring pad. Soaked it overnight with a couple of dryer sheets and yes, it all came off.

• NancyMaria NancyMaria on Jan 08, 2020

A trick I learned from my brother was to put a squirt of dish machine liquid or powder (like Cascade) into the pan with hot water or warm the pan on the stove top and let sit overnight. Works like a charm for burned on food.

• Merelyn sale Merelyn sale on Jan 09, 2020

Yes, truly worth a try they are so hard to get clean. Thanks for sharing something that will work.

Next