Pat
Pat
  • Alpharetta, GA
Asked on Feb 20, 2013

Any creative uses for dishwasher racks?

Sandra O'SheaIVY STYLESShirts
+15

I recently replaced my dishwasher and saved the upper rack and the bottom rolling rack. I figured there must be something creative that could be done with them to keep them out of the landfill. ANy Ideas?
  • 3po3

If you have a workbench in your garage, it seems like these could make really handy rolling shelves under the bench, if you mount some hardware on the bench.

• Z

My first thought was to store dishes like cookie sheets, pan lids, TW lids and such in a base cabinet or pantry floor.

• Jeanette S

One thing you could put your wrapping paper and gift bags in them and roll them under a bed in the guest room. Or use them for storage in the bottom of the closet for everything from kid's shoes (which they seem to never put up) to balls, bats,etc. The way they are made to hold glasses on the top rack, I would think they could even be useful in the pantry. When our refrigerator conked out, I kept the produce bins and use them in my pantry! They are wonderful!

• Nora

Hmmm. I envision it hanging from my laundry room ceiling so I can hang clothes on hangers from it to air dry when the sun's not up to the task. Maybe wrap the sides/edges with a decorative fabric, border or vine to make its past-life purpose less conspicuous. Now I envision my husband shaking his head and saying, "You're so strange." ;)

• Lilli H

I kind of like Nora's suggestion. I have an extra counter top dish drainer i was hating to get rid of. I might give this a shot.

• Lilli H

Another idea. Paint it a cool color and line it to use as a rolling planter with Sphagnum moss on top.

• Z

If you cut off the prongs you could line the bottom with a piece of wood or even cardboard, to store linens under the bed or pretty much anything anywhere. You'd want to spray the areas you cut off with Rust Oleum Paint though.

• Gail Salminen

@Pat - if you have a garden shed, you could use it to organize your pots and tool etc. Would be interested in seeing what you end up doing with them. Thanks for putting our brains to work - lots of creative input provided :)

• Brian Karth

I would use them to protect my seedlings until they are a mature height from bunnies.Just lay the cage over your area of plants and you have instant protection.

• Gail Salminen

@Brian Karth - great idea - I may have to find me some of these, bunnies are a problem around here. Thanks for the idea.

• Linnya

I used my old silverware basket to make a carrier for all the stuff I take to the deck when we eat outside, silverware, napkins, salt and pepper, etc.

• NANCY B

I use mine for my garden shoes, gloves, with room for a box of sun block, hat, sweat bands, etc Slide it under a table by back door..

• Beadcarver

My sister-in-law used an old rack to hang thread over her sewing machine. She simply hung it and put the spools and bobbins on the pegs.

• Shirts

I use one as an under the bed drawer

• IVY STYLES

good idea Beadcarver

• Sandra O'Shea

I enjoy my crafts and I happen to have a lot of picture frames for framing. So I lined up all my frames on the racks by size. It keeps them nice and compact and easy to get to. I use the silverware section to put my paintbrushes in that sits on a shelf in my craft room.

• IVY STYLES

Love those ideas Sandra O'Shea.

• Sandra O'Shea

Thank you, Ivy Styles.