Old Clothes Hamper Makeover

$8.50

I'd had three canvas clothes hampers for at least 8 years. They were pretty hammered and the sides bowed out with so much use. As I was redoing my bedroom and these stayed in there I wanted them to match. New ones could have been $80! So I had the idea to makeover the ones I had. My only cost was the paint. **FREE PATTTERNS AND MORE PHOTOS HERE***
old clothes hamper makeover, bedroom ideas, crafts, organizing, repurposing upcycling
SUPPLIES
FREE PATTERNS AND MORE PHOTOS HERE
Quart of black paint
12 thin wood strips for each one
two sets nuts and bolts for each one
White rope
Labels
Its hard to tell in the photo, but they were grungy after so many years of use. Because the sides bowed out, when the lid was down there were cracks on each side of it. Not very classy looking for my nice new bedroom.
The first thing we did was my husband Roy braced them by screwing in a small piece of wood on the sides. It worked perfect and made them much more sturdy!
I purchased a quart of gloss paint. They had a canvas finish but it took the paint well. I did have to give it three coats.
They had rope handles and were also worn. I had some extra rope lying around and decided to braid it up and make new handles.
For the final touch I used my Silhouette printer to cut out titles for each one. Had I not had the silhouette I'd have made regular labels with nice printing and attached them on the front. .
Here's the full set.
Here some of them are in the bedroom. They matched perfectly and looked classy! Lots more photos are on my site below.

Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• Hap4409557

Does your paint wear onto anything inside the hamper?

• Hi Connie,

You're not missing anything. My posts here have the "general" information with less specifics. If you go to my website post here you'll see more photos and details.

Sad isn't it... that we are in a time where you almost expect people to be rude or mean for no reason. Luckily the Home Talk folks keep an eye on that kind of stuff to help prevent it.

Thanks so much!

• Colleen

I have a couple of these sitting around. Never thought about painting them or anything else. But now.....!

• Cynthia H

I have similar hampers and never thought of doing this!