Chalkboard Grainsack Barstool Makeover

I would like to share my trashtastic bar stool makeover. They go with my kitchen island, which was in the house when we moved here. I painted my island last winter, but I wanted to spray paint the bar stools, so they were a bit behind the island in getting finished. But I finally finished them over the summer, and I love the way they turned out!
chalboard grainsack barstool makeover, chalkboard paint, painted furniture
I used chalboard paint on the seats, so I can change out wahtever decoration is on them at will. For now, I went with a grainsack look. I used chalk markers because they are more durable and don't come off unless I get them wet. So people can still sit on them.
I first painted the tops of the barstools with chalkboard paint and let them dry, then I covered them so I could spray paint the rest. I definitely wanted the rungs of the bar stools to remain stainless steel, so I started by covering them using white printer paper and painters tape. That was probably the most difficult part of the entire project.
I chose Rust-Oleum American Accents 2X Ultra Cover spray paint in glossy white. You can't even tell the difference in them and the island with the whites.
Here is a more pulled back view of my kitchen, just n case you are curious! You can read more about my barstool makeover by clicking through to my blog!
Nicki Parrish @ Sweet Parrish Place

• Martha H

Love your stools--you did a great job. One question: where can I find bar stools with stainless steel rungs? Does anyone know?

• Pat C

Nice job with the stools - they look great! I love the pattern of your kitchen floor too!

• Sandy Hartnett

Amazing what paint and a good eye can come up with! Hugs