Kathleen Hibben
Kathleen Hibben
  • Roseville, CA
Asked on Feb 20, 2013

What can I do with the wood from a rotten wine barrel?

ElaineKMS WoodworksKimberly Barney
+1

I was using the wind barrel as a planter but this year it finally fell apart. I have taken the rings off and stacked the wood. Any ideas on how I can reuse all of it?
  • Sand and paint the rings and make an over sized wind chime? Drill some holes in the rings and use small chain to link them together.

• Kimberly Barney

I have seen where the rings are used as sculptural accents in gardens while the curved wood pieces have been used for making stools that are really cute.

• KMS Woodworks

ages ago I saw some of this wood turned into a "chair" it was a lot of work and the wood was not from a planter but a recent barrel. It had a cool patina to it from the wine http://www.winebarrelworkshop.com/product/chairs/wine-barrel-adirondack-chair/

• Elaine

The BEST idea I've ever seen is a sculptural "orb". If I wasn't in a condo with a small balcony, I'd make one of these. Go to "Funky Junk Interiors" and I guarantee you will love what she did!! Her name is Donna, she lives on the west coast of Canada & her blog is terrific. She just posted this idea today!