Sabrina
Sabrina
  • Canada

DIY Garage Floor Tutorial: RockSolid Polycuramine

As you may recall from last week’s garage makeover reveal, hubby Mike, finally got his dream come true—a neat, clean and organized garage space. Although I couldn’t understand his obsession with wanting to finish our garage, I finally “got it” once it was complete!
diy garage floor tutorial rocksolid polycuramine, diy, flooring, garages, how to, painting
One of the biggest improvements to this space was our newly painted floors. Talk about BIG impact! Every time I come home, I seriously feel like I’m driving into a showroom. These floors totally went above and beyond my expectations.
We used RockSolid Polycuramine Garage Floor Coating System which is the ultimate DIY kit for those wanting to tackle this project on their own. In case you’re wondering what Polycuramine is, it’s a special formula created by RockSolid that combines the best benefits of Polyurea, Urethane and Epoxy to create an indestructible, self-leveling, flexible, fast curing, high gloss coating system. Also suppose to be 20x stronger than epoxy paint!
As you can see, our concrete floors were not in the best of shape. They are about 20 years old, full of old stains, rust and dirt. To further add to the mess, the hubby decided to spray paint our peg board that we used in our garage directly on the floor so this RockSolid Coating System really did have a lot of covering up to do.
Concrete Preparation:
To open the pours and clean the concrete, Mike began by mixing the supplied RockSolid Citric Etch Solution with water. He applied the product to the garage floor in small sections scrubbing the solution with a bristle broom. He started cleaning before I had the chance to run out with my camera to take pictures or even witness the process but he said the solution created a sizzling sound. Almost like he can hear it chemically cleaning the floors. To remove the solution, he rinsed the floors with water while still scrubbing.
Paint Application:
The paint comes in this cool soft packaging known as a burst pack that is marked “Side A” and “Side B”. In order to activate the paint, the individual chemicals from Side A need to be rolled into Side B while you have it on a flat surface, sort of like rolling a toothpaste tube. The centre seam then opens up and allows the two sides to mix. Once that happens, you grab the bag and shake it like crazy making sure everything is completely combined. We opened the contents and dumped the paint into a rolling pan (as the boys found this easier to share the paint). However, the instructions do advise you to pour the mixed material directly on floor. If you choose the pouring method, you start about a foot from the back corner wall in 4′-5′ ribbons and continue doing it this way until you reach the end of the garage.
We happened to paint the garage floors during one of the hottest days which does affect the pot life. Normally you have one hour to paint after you combine the two components before it starts hardening. Because of the extreme heat conditions, we had less than that to get paint on the floor.
We began cutting the perimeter of the garage with a paint brush and used the foam roller to apply to the rest of the floor. They suggest using an “M & W” pattern to keep the coats of paint even and uniformed across the surface. We completed small sections at time (4’x4′ strips) and then stopped to apply RockSolid Decorative Chips.
At first, my husband was throwing the chips very scarcely. I sort of went back over what he did and dispensed the chips like I was throwing confetti. They supply you with enough chips to cover the surface and the more evenly spread out, the better it looks.
Last but not least, you should tape off the end of your garage where your garage doors meet the concrete. This paint should not be on the exterior of your garage or exposed to weather conditions. We used duck tape to create the straight edge which worked for the most part but we got some bleeding in some areas once we took it off. They advise to use painters tape but I’m not quite sure it’s heavy duty enough to adhere to concrete floors.
Cure Time:
The recommended cure time is 8-10 hours for foot traffic and 24 hours for vehicle traffic. Due to our high temperature that day, the paint dried pretty quickly for us. To be honest, it almost looked like it was sealed already due it’s high gloss finish. However, we still had plans to seal the floors and waited about two days before we proceeded with the next step.
Clear Top Coat:
This top coat is very easy to work with. Again it only has an hour of pot life so you do have to work quickly with it. Using the burst packaging, you roll Side A towards Side B and shake. We used a rolling pan and brush to apply.
For more details regarding this garage floor tutorial, please visit the original post in the link below.
Sabrina

• Dan Zarnick Jr

My garage is 20 years old with a sealer then paint on top of that. The paint is mostly all gone due to the sealer underneath it. Will it stay on my floor or wear away like the paint did?
    • Sabrina

You would have to do some serious prep work if you wanted the epoxy to stick to the floor. You may have to find a product to remove the sealer first.
  • Louise Butler

can this method be used inside yo house, on wooden floor?
  • Leslie Martz Rouquette

What other colors does the kit, come in ?

• Kate Skovira

I have a settlement crack in the floor. I assume it needs to be fixed not sure how to do that.
    • Dfm
      27 minutes ago

There are tubes of concrete colored sealant available, in tubes to use with a caulking gun.

• Qat8480985

Awesome job!