IKEA Hacked Barnboard Coffee Table Tutorial

Taking risks isn't always an easy thing because sometimes,
it doesn't work out how you had planned. BUT then there are other times it comes out so much better and it is those times that make the creative journey so much more FUN!

This project was such a sore spot for me last week.I bought this coffee table form IKEA a few months ago because I just adored the size and shape. I knew I would alter it in some way but.....we had the hurricane,
then Thanksgiving,then Christmas.I kept sitting in the room, trying to decide WHAT to do.

Then I thought, "this shouldn't be this hard." So one day last week, I decided to just paint it in ASCP in French Linen.Then, BM Kendall Charcoal. Then, BM Revere Pewter. Then, ASCP in French Linen again. Do you ever have those days where you just can't seem to get it right?

So I guess it seemed to my 7 year old that I was just a little frustrated:). He said, "mom, you know it took Thomas Edison over 2,000 trys before he got the light bulb right." Phew, I needed that reality check:).

I decided to let it go for a few days. Until...... the "light bulb" went off,
a barnboard table top!

City Farmhouse

• Lee sully

did you sand the top after applying the white paint?

• 3gi26784770

Impressive! I want to do this with a kitchen table, have been looking for a new one and this is the ticket! Where did you buy the nails from for the top? Awesome job!

• Gail Webster

Great idea! Looks great, I believe that anyone (with imagination) can transform ordinary things we live with everyday into amazing things! I changed a brick fireplace into a comply beachy look (we live in Florida) Everyone loves it! The wood was very dark. I had to hand paint each piece with different colors. The base is one wide piece of wood painted to look like the others.

• Joanie

I love your table and I am a wood lover........great job!!