Boho Fairy Lights...

$15

Use a set of LED lights to create your own sweet boho fairy lights!... you can use cool or warm lights, coloured lights... different colours of ribbons, laces, fabrics... really whatever floats your boat!...
I chose a warm white indoor string of LED lights... if you want to use these outdoors on your porch or patio be sure to pickup an outdoor string of lights...
I used creams and whites and yellows for my light string...
Cut your ribbons/fabric strips/laces/yarn at various lengths and using a half knot or larks head knots to attach them to the light string...
...here is a larks head knot attached ribbon that gives you two tails!...
Work up and down your light string until you've completely filled the wire with you various fabrics/ribbons/toile/laces/fabric strips...
Cut them at various lengths or cut them all at the same length!... the end look is up to you!...
I also made some yarn tassels to hang off of my light string... I looped yarn around my hand about sixty times...
...remove the yarn loop and take a piece of string and tie the loop together at one end... leave the tails of this knot as you will use these tails to attach your tassel to your light string...
Tie a second piece of yarn around the top third of the loop, smushing the yarn all together and creating a bobble at the top...
Snip open the bottom of the loops and you've released your tassel ends!...
Again you can trim the ends even or unevenly - whatever you like... I went with the uneven look to add to the boho feel of my lighstring
Here is my finished string lit up in my kitchen in front of my chalkboard wall!... :)
LED lights stay cool but like any lit decoration be sure not to leave them unattended for long periods of time.
Here is a shot of a set that I made for a girlfriend that she's hung over her sweet upholstered headboard :)
Feathering My Nest - Lacey Haskell

• Duffy V

What is this for?

• Punkie0001

What is it?

• Sue

From your photo of supplies, I couldn't really tell. What is the length of the lights you bought? Is this a 100 strand?

• Alyce Lenzen

From looking at the box it is a 12 foot long string. You could probably use what ever length you wanted depending on where you wanted to hang it.

• Hi Sue - the amount of lights - I can't remember but really any length or amount of lights will work - its whatever you like! :)

• Elwanna

Wow lol

• Valerie Mitchell Heron

Could the strips get too hot?

• She

@Valerie Mitchell Heron TINY ONES like these don't usually, but never leave burnables on near wires if you aren't near to check. I have the5x bigger outside strings- no cloth &leave them on as nite lite over door frame- never been hot, but..Safety first- burn fr 2-3 hrs & see if hot.

• @Valerie Mitchell Heron LED's do not get hot - and like any string of christmas lights they're not left on for hours on end unattended.

• Michele Shaw

This is a great idea to use up scraps! This would be pretty in a lil girls or teen room. So many possibilities. Thanks!

• Willie Simpson

Looks great... Will now need to figure out what a larks head knot is :-)

• Clou77

I was just thinking of how I'm going to decorate a large deck for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I'd like to use small white lights, along the railings/spindles, as it's going to be a sunset cocktail party. I'd like to go with a "bistro" type feel. You couldn't have posted your awesome idea at a more perfect time! But like Willie, I'm wondering if you could share how to tie a larks head knot. :)

• Lynn Murphy-Picker

Slip knot...

• Derry

Fold the strip in half and put the loop end under the lights' wire so the loop is on the bottom. Take the two ends down over the wire and put thru the loop and tighten.

• Clou77

@Derry Thank you! Sounds easy enough!

• Deb Jackson

I also thank you,,, can't wait to go get a strand of lights and get started...

• Bev LeCloux Delchambre

How many lights did you get on your light set?

• Hi Bev - it varies depending on the length of set of lights - I've done it with a variety of lengths and number of lights :)

• CJ

If I may add my 2 cents for Bev and anyone else who is wondering the same;
      I suggest you determine where and how you want to hang your lights before shopping for them; remember to add in extra length for any swag(s) you might want then you will know how long of a light strand you will need. Or if you are a visual person like me and need to see your plan, you could try taping a piece of string or yarn where you want your light strand, arranging to your liking then measure the string. The lights I've purchased had lengths listed on the package however, they usually include the extra wire to reach the outlet or battery box in that measurement which may not have lights.
    • Luci McMullen

This is beautiful and I have to do that for my room.
  • Porland1624

I love it,did you know were I can buy a bag of scrap to do this

• Meg

You might try the fabric scraps area at a thrift store.

• Doreen

dollar store any where

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Etsy is the best place I’ve found to purchase fabric remnants. I did this using recycled silk sari ribbon remnants I purchased on Etsy. I bought two bags, 4oz. Each and that was more than enough plus nothing says boho than silk star ribbon! You get a really nice selection of random colors and sizes. Total cost was 12.00 for both bags! Very worth it!

• Debbie

How do you hide the electric cord or can you find battery operated string lights

• Paola Hendrikse

Wrap the cord with bias binding or lace and as you wrap incorporate some more of the trimming, this will tie the look together.

• Sue Brushafer

Any suggestions to do this for Christmas?
    • Tilly Katz

I would use soft lights, mix some burgundy with natural cheese cloth,with Berry sprays, cinnamon sticks, and holly. Can't wait to decorate in guest room. Will keep it up throughout the winter season.