Vintage Jar Lanterns...

$10

Using tulle, battery powered LED lights and some mason jars you can create the cutest little lanterns!.. these would be fun for holiday decorating or a glamping trip! :)
vintage jar lanterns, crafts, lighting, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
For this I used some of my glass top vintage jars, some tulle from a roll or toile and some halloween battery powered LED lights!
I found the lights at the dollar store in the halloween section... the little bats and spiders just plucked right off the covered light ends!... these were only $1.50 per set!
Using strips of tulle about 5-6" in length I attache the tulle to the light string using a larks head knot which gave me two tails for every one I attached!...
I filled the wire with tulle and then had to prepare the battery housing so that you wouldn't see it inside of the jar...
...also be sure to put the batteries in and test your lights to make sure that they are working! ;)
I wrapped the battery housing in some folded tulle and then used another piece of toile around it, tying a knot, to hold the wrapped tulle in place...
I then placed the lights into my jar, battery end last so that I could position the battery pack in the middle with the switch up, making the lights easy to turn on and off...
Bam!... battery pack nestled in the centre...
Of course I had to do a little fussing to get the lights spaced around the jar just how I liked them...
Then it was on with the top!...
And there you have it!... vintage jar lanterns!... you can get larger sets for larger jars and some sets of lights (more expensive ones) even have timers that will turn the lights on or off every couple of hours!...
Like any lit decoration be sure not to leave these unattended for long periods of time. LEDs are much cooler than the old incandescent style lights but you just want to be mindful.
Feathering My Nest - Lacey Haskell

• Jewell Martin

I have some old Ball and Mason jars, but not as old as yours. I'm not familiar with your lids. They seem much taller than today's lids. Do you know if these are available now? And did you paint the lids? I love these fairy lights. Best wishes 😇

• The lids are taller than today's lids - to accommodate the glass top and rubber gasket of the older style jars - they're not painted, they're the original galvanized metal rings. I'm unsure if these taller tops are available new - whenever I find them at vintage sales I scoop them up to have on hand! :)

• Ard7370318

Love how the light is soft and you don't see any cords. Would make a great nightlight but I plan to make some to us outside on our patio and in our pergola. Absolutely love these lights! Thanks for sharing!

• Pamela Mulkey

This is a beautiful, inspired idea, and I absolutely LOVE it! I can’t wait to get the supplies together and make these as a gift for my landlord’s new home, and some for myself!