Lilli H
Lilli H
  • Fishers, IN
Asked on Feb 21, 2013

Has anyone painted kitchen cabinets with milk paint?

Dalene VLinda WeeksStorywood Designs
+6

I don't know about milk paint, but you'll find a lot of examples here on Hometalk of folks who have done it with chalk paint.

• Ball Family Painting

Benjamin Moore has a nice cabinet paint.I'm sure they are nationwide,Jim,NJ

• Lilli H

I'm particularly intrigued by milk paint as an option. I'd love feedback from an experienced milk paint user to see if its worth trying.

• Gail Salminen

@Lilli H - @Tricia at Little Cottage on the Pond posted on this here. She may be able to help. Here is a link to her post http://www.hometalk.com/462784/chalk-painted-kitchen-cabinets-amp-cottage-kitchen-redo

• Tricia

I used Chalk Paint on my cabinets. You could use milk paint, but know that it is very chippy and unless you use a bonding agent the cabinets will chip more as used.

• Miriam I

@Storywood Designs used it on her butcher block island. She may have some insight: http://www.hometalk.com/622100/butcher-block-island-painted-with-milk-paint

• Storywood Designs

You can use milk paint for cabinets... there are several options and most will involve a bonding agent mixed in with the milk paint. Old Fashioned Milk Paint is a classic milk paint and you do need to apply Extra Bond if using on prefinished surfaces. Miss Mustard Seed also makes a milk paint and again, you'd have to use the bonding agent to make sure it adheres the way you want it to. My favorite choice for cabinets or a milk paint product where you want ease of use and control of the finishes is General Finishes Milk Paint. Their paint is already mixed in liquid form and goes on smooth; can be sprayed, brushed or rolled. It does not require priming and they have some great colors to choose from. They also have a lot of glazes that can be applied to change the color. All water based. It can be sealed with wax or polyacrylic to finish (probably the better choice for cabinets). I hope that helps!! Can't wait to see what you do.

• Linda Weeks

I take it that milk paint and chalk paint are not synonymous? I thought they were the same thing! I'd also like to paint my cabinets with whatever it is that looks so good!

• Dalene V

Chalk paint, milk paint and GF milk paint are 3 different paints. GF is not real milk paint, it is a latex paint.