Down to Earth Holly
Down to Earth Holly
  • Bountiful, UT

This End Up Desk Turned Kitchen Island

If you like to frequent thrift stores and you like to re-purpose furniture then check out this transformation.
this end up desk turn kitchen island, kitchen design, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
In the Richmond, VA area I can find a lot of wood furniture that was popular in the 80's called This End Up. I like it b/c the wood is super easy to paint and distress without sanding. So I keep my out for them.
Can you see how this piece was a desk in the left pic? I turned that thing upside down and added casters to the old top - which is now the bottom.
The drawers had these routed out handles so I covered them with this thin wood threshold for doorways. (cut to size with a miter saw)
Glued and nailed them to the centers of each drawer and stained them the same as the top which is Dark Walnut. Then I screwed in some simple pulls. The drawers fit in the desk either way it was standing - This End Up or that end down. :)
The top is made from pine 2x6's cut in random widths lengthwise and screwed from the top into the wood frame of the desk. Note: if you are using an island for food prep, you will want to use a butcher block or hard wood for sanitary reasons. (IKEA is a great place to purchase butcher block tops)
I installed a simple shelf where a desk chair would have been.
Here is the back side.
And there is the front all finished!
Next time you see a boxy piece of furniture at the thrift store - imagine it Upside Down!
Down to Earth Holly

• Might try this one !! How did you get the drawers to work as they would be upside down in the final piece ?

• 153091

Pat On The Back for this one! Love the look...GREAT JOB!

• Cheri Jensen Peltola

I have this exact desk gathering dust in the closet. What is the exact brand and name of the white paint?