Ouina
Ouina
  • Edinburg, TX

Patio Furniture Redo

I was finally tired of the faded, stained and generally unattractive patio furniture. We live in deep South Texas and the wind/sun take a toll on outdoor furniture year-round. I sanded with 220 grit sandpaper, followed by a walnut stain, and then three coats of polycrylic finish. My husband loves the new look and I couldn't be happier. It was worth the three days of work. I sanded one day, stained and applied a coat of poly one day, and then other coats of poly the next day (let 2 hours go by and then applied the third coat). This way it didn't seem like a lot of work!
Before... sorry I didn't take before pics of the table but you can see the one chair that I still have to do in the back ground.
Before...
Before...
Finished furniture - there is a bench, 2 chairs and a table. Still one chair to go sadly...

• Ouina

Linda, I posted the steps in my original posting. As to the weathering. The furniture sits on the patio which is covered. They do receive quite a bit of late afternoon sun in the summer. The furniture is about 10 years old and this is the first time I have refinished. I am hoping that applying 3 coats of polyacrylic I won't have to redo for a while. We'll see...!

• Mar9476612

I bought a bed set similar and a chair and now it's been one summer and they look like their rent do I have to do that every summer then to stay in them and put polyurethane like 3 or 4 coats every summer