Kristine(Teeny Ideas)
Kristine(Teeny Ideas)
  • River Edge, NJ

DIY Chevron Coffee Table Makeover

We got the coffee table at a garage sale for $20 and loved it. I had been toying with the idea of replacing the glass top with a wood top for a while. I love rustic wood tables and I thought the iron base would look great with wood top.
diy chevron coffee table makeover, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, woodworking projects
Since I have been crushing on chevron for ages, we decided to do a chevron pattern for the wood top. I am so excited to have found a place to use it.
One benefit of the chevron pattern was all the cuts were done at the same 45 degree angle. Once all the tedious cutting was done, he began fitting the pieces together. He used the plumb line as a guide to keep all the pieces uniform
He started in the middle and worked his way to the outside. Once he had all the pieces placed, he started gluing them to the board with wood glue. The chevron pattern turned out awesome! The only problem was that the extra wood glue seeped through the seems on the top of the table
I applied the fist coat of Rustoleum Weathered Gray but the stain didn’t penetrate the wood where the wood glue was present. It looked pretty bad.
I went to the store and got a small can of Minwax gel stain in Weathered Oak. Gel stain is good for all types of surfaces. I hoped it would even out the wood tones.
The table dried, and it looked okay. It was weathered and uneven not the total look I was going for but I really like it. I probably should have stained the boards before they were glued down. We probably also should have used less wood glue. Now we know for next time.

Kristine(Teeny Ideas)

• Steve Forster

Is it too late to belt sand it or scrape it down to remove the excess glue and paint so you can get down to the wood? You’ve done so much work not to make it look how you want with just a bit more effort.

• Studiob

Where is the photo?

• Nana Crist

Why are the finished corners square? The original top is rounded.