DIY Corner Bench With Built-In Table

A DIY Corner Bench with a built-in table, which is perfect for a front porch or a deck or patio. The built-in table is the perfect spot to display seasonal decor or to set your coffee mug!
My front porch has been in serious need of a makeover, it was looking pretty sad! I had plants on my front porch that I always forgot to water so they were no longer amongst the living. Here is a pic of my sad front porch:
Now that Fall is officially here, I figured that it's the perfect time to start a makeover for my front porch. My first project for the makeover was a Fall wreath for the front door. You can see that project here. My second project to fancy up my front porch was a wooden sign post, which I'll be posting about soon. I had been wanting some seating on my porch as well as a table to display decorations, so, I decided my third project would be a bench to fit in one of the corners of the porch with a built-in table for displaying decor. Here's what I came up with:
Here are the plans for the corner bench with the built-in table:
Material List:
2 - 2x6 @ 8 ft
7 - 2x4 @ 8 ft
1 - 2x2 @ 6 ft
2 1/2" exterior wood screws
2 1/2" pocket hole screws
Kreg jig
wood glue
Cut List:
2 - 2x4 @ 40" (frame)
2 - 2x4 @ 26 3/4" with one end of each cut at 45 degree angle (frame)
6 - 2x4 @ 12 1/4"
6 - 2x4 @ 26 1/2" (bench seat top)
9 - 2x4 @ 16" (legs)
4 - 2x4 @ 15" (table top)
4 - 2x4 @ 8" (table top)
1 - 2x4 @ 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" (table top)
2 - 2x6 @ 26 1/2" (bench seat top)
2 - 2x6 @ 15 1/4" with one end of each cut at 45 degree angle (table box)
2 - 2x6 @ 13 3/4" with one end of each cut at 45 degree angle (table box)
2 - 2x6 @ 12 1/4" (table box)
4 - 2x2 @ 18" (table top)
First, start off by building the frame for the bench. Please visit my blog to see full plans and details for this build.
Next, cut the legs for the bench. Cut nine 2x4s at 16" each. Using wood glue and exterior wood screws, attach the legs to the inside of the frame (predrill holes to prevent wood from cracking).
Attach legs to inside of frame using 2 1/2" wood screws and wood glue:
Next, build the box for the corner table.
Using wood glue and 2 1/2" pocket hole screws, attach the table box to the boards making up the corner of the frame.
At this point, I sanded the portions of the bench already built and then painted it white using Rustoleum Heirloom White spray paint. (First I sprayed white primer, and then two coats of paint).
While the frame and table box were drying, I cut the boards to make the top of the bench seats and made the table top.
Once I completed the table top, I sanded the two bench tops and the table top and then stained them with Minwax Dark Walnut stain. I then used wood glue and 2 1/2 exterior wood screws to attach the bench tops to the frame (predrill holes first). I attached the table top with wood glue and 2 1/2 exterior wood screws from underneath the table box (drill through the 26 boards at the top of the table frame into the bottom of the table top).
Once the bench top and table top were attached, I filled all holes with wood filler. Once that was dry, I lightly sanded the filled holes on the top of the benches and then touched up the stain. Lastly, I applied 3 coats of exterior polyurethane varnish in satin finish and once dry, I put it in its intended location on my front porch and I am loving it!

Pinspired to DIY

• Judy

How long should the cross pieces be in the seat framework? There should be 6 of them and the 26.5 inch seat parts seem too long.

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi Judy, the cross pieces in the frame should be 12 1/4". I didn't realize I had left those out of the cut list, thanks for catching that! I have edited the post to include those cuts. Thanks!

• Keri Sibert Titus

What color is the house and the trim?

• Jose’

What are your instructions for creating the very top of table using your 2x2’s. I only saw they had to be 18” long? Thanks

• Joanie

This outfit of benches if absolutely beautiful....It fits perfect in your corner.....Totally makes your porch!! I think I'd even like it in my house for a load of plants.

• Tiffany Lazon

I absolutely think it’s completely stunning! What an amazing job. I totally want to do this project for my master bedroom deck! Thank you for the inspiration!