Book of Spells

This book is so easy and inexpensive to make it's crazy!
With a glue gun and a little imagination nothing can stop you.
book of spells, crafts, halloween decorations
Supplies that I used:
Book
Tissue paper
Burlap
Feathers
Rope
Foam sheets
Jute
White glue
Acrylic paint (black, brown, white and gold)
Seashell
Sticks
Maple seed
Glass Gem
Plastic bug
Hot glue
Red Candle
Glitter nail polish
Tools:
Paintbrush
Glue gun
Imagination
Matches
Step 1
Preparing the book
Wad up several sections of the book. Leave some wadded up, others straighten back out.
Rip out several sections of 10 pages all together.
Tear pieces of pages and glue them so that they stick out of the book in several locations.
Tie something, I used a piece of jute, around the book and paint on a very thick layer of white glue. be sure to paint the pages that are sticking out, too.
Allow to completely dry and remove the jute. If you can open the book you haven't painted on enough glue, paint on more glue.
Step 2
Let's get started!
You need to do the Tissue Treatment over the outside of the book. While that is drying, read Step 3 and put your shoes on.
http://hotglueinmycoffee.com/tissue-treatment/
Step 3
Embellishing the book
Go on, let your creative juices flow and worry about cleaning up the mess later! I have listed the things that I used to spookify my book. I'd love to see your book and hear what you used on yours, the options are limitless! :)
A - Pieces of burlap that I tore apart and hot glued ON TOP OF the first layer of tissue
B - Glass gem I painted the back with glittery nail polish and hot glued to the book. (or a pupil for or an eye would be cool) I then added tissue around the edges to make it look like it belonged there. For added fun, I painted white glue over the top of it and then scraped part of it off with my fingernail after it dried. It looks really creepy that way, just sayin.
C - Jute that I wrapped around the fluer de lis clasp to make it look more interesting.
D - Foam sheets covered in tissue paper for the clasp
E - Crumpled up tissue paper I covered over for depth.
F - More foam sheets for leather binding, just hot glue them in place and tissue over them!
G - I painted the inside of the gaps black for mystery and intrigue
H - Hot glue that I painted after it cooled off with glitter nail polish, "magic oozing out of the pages" is what I was going for.
I - Glue strings, get as messy as you want and LEAVE THE STRINGS! You're welcome.
J - A hangman's noose made of jute because not all spells are nice ones.
K - Yep, a seashell...
L - Sticks out of my yard, from a pine tree if you really need to know
M - A feather... a really cool feather!
N - 1/2 a bug painted black and glued inside a gap in the pages to look like he's crawling out.
O - A dead flower from my yard, I dipped it in white glue to make it stronger and so it wouldn't shed. The bonus was that it made it look really creepy!
P - Red wax dripped out of a few gaps in the pages. Yes, I could have used red paint but I really like the texture of the red wax.
Q - That's a helicopter thingy from a Maple tree. I took a walk in my yard and you should too! In your yard... not mine.
R - That's a moss covered stick, hard to see here but pretty cool in person!
S - I painted some of the edges of those sticking out pages black and some with a tiny bit of glitter nail polish. Can we really over do this project? I think not.
T - More rope (jute) because I wanted to and at that point no one in their right mind could stop me even with a silver bullet and a crucifix.
U - I slopped some paint on the end of the pages and then dragged it out to give the pages an old, tattered look. -insert evil laugh right here-
Cool, huh? :D
Another angle...
Oh yeah... you get the idea...
soooo.... what are you waiting for??? Get up and go make one already! :) Here's the link to this tutorial and more, check it out:

To see more: http://www.hotglueinmycoffee.com