Malia Karlinsky
Malia Karlinsky
  • Seattle, WA

How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies

Send fruit flies on a one way trip with this easy and effective solution using stuff you already have at home.
how to get rid of fruit flies, cleaning tips, how to, pest control
There's no such thing as one fruit fly! Luckily, it's easy to get rid of them in a few fast steps.
Supplies: small glass jar, plastic wrap. apple cider vinegar, a rubber band and a pencil.
First, fill up the jar about 3/4 with the apple cider vinegar. The flies are attracted to that sweet smell.
Second, pull the plastic wrap tightly over the glass.
Secure with a rubber band (you don't want those flies escaping!)
With a pencil, poke about a dozen holes in the plastic wrap. The flies will be drawn to the smell of the vinegar and will wiggle through those little holes. Only to never escape!
Make sure all food and fruit is off the counter and place the glass around the area you saw the flies. Here's a photo (ick!) of the jar on my counter about 10 minutes after I placed it there. Look at all those flies!
Leave the jar there until you are confident all the flies have met their end. I had only seen one fruit fly in my kitchen before I left the vinegar out. I counted nine dead flies in there after a few hours. Super gross but very effective.
Malia Karlinsky

• Nanny G

I tried this also and it did not work for me but what I did was take a piece of banana or a piece of the banana peel put it in a container secure it, our use press and seal so no rubber band is needed, poke holes in the top it works like a charm. But now you have to wait until the banana rocked a little bit before it will work but it works marvelous

• Nanny G

That should be you have to wait until they ‘rot’ a little bit