DIY Brick Backsplash

This is what our kitchen looked like when we moved in 7 years ago. Everything is totally different now. We've painted the cabinets, updated the counters, and added beams, columns, and new light fixtures.
Our most recent project was the back splash. At first we used tin, but it was never quite right. My husband and I decided that brick would be perfect because we have a brick fireplace on the other side of the kitchen. We were right!
My husband gets full credit for this beautiful rustic REAL BRICK backsplash. I helped only a tiny tiny bit.
We ended up ordering the brick on line and it was delivered straight to our door (I explain where on my blog). It was very affordable, too. Then we purchased adhesive, mortar, and sealer. My husband gives a FULL TUTORIAL on my blog, but it basically involves spreading the adhesive, and then sticking the bricks on it. These bricks are thinner than a normal brick, but they are real. Then we used spacers to get the swaggy look.
Lastly, he filled in the mortar, wiped it off with a damp sponge, and then sealed the brick. I chose to add the shelf for decorating fun. It is removable so if I want to switch this up, I can!
What do you think? Would you like brick in your kitchen? For more information, please visit my blog.

The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Redheadcandecorate.com

• Birdz of a Feather
    Birdz of a Feather

How did you attach the shelf to the brick; it looks seamless!
  • Cathy Wolf
    Cathy Wolf

can I borrow your husband? LOL It looks great!
  • Frank feagan
    Frank feagan

i like your project and the results are striking. i'd like to try similar backsplash in our kitchen.

but how do you clean this brick and mortar?
    since it is in a grease-splash/frying pan zone along with steam-from-boiling pots, it would appear the rough texture brick face would readily absorb and retain these typical cooking by-products.
    and the mortar as well would be susceptible to discoloration and staining.
    thanks.