SettingforFour
SettingforFour
  • Canada
Asked on Feb 23, 2013

For those of you who have painted your kitchen backsplash....

PennyKimberly CJoanieshand
+6

For those of you who have painted your kitchen backsplash, did it hold up? Scratch? What type of paint did you use and did you use a roller? Thanks!
  • KMS Woodworks

I thinks this depends a bit more on "what" your backsplash is first. The substrate of most painted surfaces greatly influence the durability. ie: painted drywall will behave much differently than painted tile.

• Storywood Designs

I painted a few accent tiles on my backsplash to cover the garden-themed designs that were there. It's held up great - no scratching or issues with it. Because it was only 10-12 tiles, I was lazy and just used a bonding primer and latex paint that I had on hand.

• SettingforFour

KMS - my backsplash is tile....

• SettingforFour

Thanks @Storywood Designs - good to know!

• KMS Woodworks

Rustoleum make some great "kits" that lots of folks have used for repainting counter tops. They hold up fairly well on those work surfaces. Using a kit like that for a back splash would be even better as a backsplash sees virtually no wear and tear. You could also replace the tile...I have done a few over the years. http://www.networx.com/article/backsplash-designs-by-a-colorado-carpent

• SettingforFour

Thanks @KMS Woodworks for the tips!

• Joanieshand

I have painted tiles.. and it stood the test of time.. I scuffed them, used a good primer and a melamine paint... but know the rustoleum kits do work.. but the smell is awful.. I have done countertops also... they werent as durable but did for awhile when I needed them to.

• Kimberly C

I did a feature on here awhile back about painting my backsplash, check it out, I used eggshell finish and it cleans off just fine but the higher the gloss factor the easier to clean. http://carnationsandcactus.blogspot.com/search/label/Renters%20Decorating%20Tips

• Penny

we put up plywood, installed paintable wall paper that looks like tile, and painted it with Martha Stewart Glossy Paint. It looks as good as the day I did it - 8 years later! Washes right up.