Ployblend Grout Renew - An Affordable, Easy Way to Update Grout Color

$6

We built our home in 1985. In 2000 DIY hubby laid ceramic tile directly over cheap vinyl flooring in our two baths, kitchen, dining room and laundry room. We went with a light tile, but for some reason I wanted the grout to be dark. My thinking was that it would hide stains on the grout and help each tile to "stand out". At the time it was a large improvement over the damaged sheet vinyl. Over time, however, the dark brown grout discolored or became "hazy" in places and it just always looked "dirty".
I first became aware of the ability to "paint" grout lines on that wonderful, informative, inspirational tool: Pinterest. After some research I located and purchased Polyblend's Grout Renew in Antique White ( at Home Depot. See for yourself the transformation from "ugly, dirty" grout to a renewed, clean floors!
The Polyblend Grout Renew is a "colorant and sealer" all in one. Each grout line must be painted individually and dries very quickly. The instructions say to use a toothbrush, but I used a medium stiff small stencil brush (or two). My grout was sanded and it "ate" the brushes. You must take care to wipe the product off of any surface that you do not want colored before it dries. I did do a second coat on each of my grout lines for coverage. I painted a section, wiped off any excess, moved on to another section and then backed up to the previous section with a second coat, wiping off excess and then moved forward, until the job was completed. A very tedious process, but well worth it! I used a little over 1/2 bottle of grout renew on two baths. Cost per bottle is approximately $12.00!
These pictures were from a guest bathroom. I've already completed the master bath. The baths had 6x6 tile. Now I move on to the 12x12 tile in the kitchen, dining room and laundry room.
sealer, color,
Update (Nov 2015): We continue to LOVE our updated tile in the two bathrooms. Since posting in 2013, the only issue I have had was where water sat on an area for an extended time and it was obvious that the water penetrated the colorant as it bubbled and rubbed off. This area is where I stand and do my makeup and hair daily. I feel certain that the hairspray I use acted as a sealant and I did not get it cleaned well enough. I have since cleaned and repainted that small area and you can tell no difference from the rest of the floor. Looks Great! I have just completed my dining room (took me a while) and am moving on to my kitchen along with some other renovations in those areas.
Before :(
Tedious, but oh! so worth it!
After!

PageFarmChick

• Hope Alcaraz

Where did you get the grout paint?What was the brand? Do you seal the grout after painting it in? please email me at hopealcaraz@me.com. Thank you.
  • Bul33347571

If you want to add a second coat of poly blend grout renewal how long do you have to wait before you can apply it again?

• Bul33347571

• Pam

Can you email where to get my Products. And could you please send me step by step how to do it . Also some after pics really love yr ideal can’t wait to do my kitchen. Thank you my email is tikathor@me.com I live in Deltona fla my name is Pam again can’t wait to hear from you thanks again

• Juniah

Pam, I did the same thing to my tile and bought it at Lowe's. It's called "refresh" grout paint and is found in the kitchen cabinet sections. I first cleaned the grout, then used an old toothbrush to paint it on. Super easy and great results. I did two coats.

• Laura

Love it. It’s beautiful. We pulled up an ugly carpet years ago . I thought by keeping up with the times was better. Boy, do I miss laying on the floor watching tv playing with the kids. My house doesn’t feel cozy since the carpet removal... I’d rather shampoo my carpets than keep scrubbing my grout.