PageFarmChick
PageFarmChick
  • Iuka, MS

Ployblend Grout Renew - An Affordable, Easy Way to Update Grout Color

$6

We built our home in 1985. In 2000 DIY hubby laid ceramic tile directly over cheap vinyl flooring in our two baths, kitchen, dining room and laundry room. We went with a light tile, but for some reason I wanted the grout to be dark. My thinking was that it would hide stains on the grout and help each tile to "stand out". At the time it was a large improvement over the damaged sheet vinyl. Over time, however, the dark brown grout discolored or became "hazy" in places and it just always looked "dirty".
I first became aware of the ability to "paint" grout lines on that wonderful, informative, inspirational tool: Pinterest. After some research I located and purchased Polyblend's Grout Renew in Antique White ( at Home Depot. See for yourself the transformation from "ugly, dirty" grout to a renewed, clean floors!
The Polyblend Grout Renew is a "colorant and sealer" all in one. Each grout line must be painted individually and dries very quickly. The instructions say to use a toothbrush, but I used a medium stiff small stencil brush (or two). My grout was sanded and it "ate" the brushes. You must take care to wipe the product off of any surface that you do not want colored before it dries. I did do a second coat on each of my grout lines for coverage. I painted a section, wiped off any excess, moved on to another section and then backed up to the previous section with a second coat, wiping off excess and then moved forward, until the job was completed. A very tedious process, but well worth it! I used a little over 1/2 bottle of grout renew on two baths. Cost per bottle is approximately $12.00!
These pictures were from a guest bathroom. I've already completed the master bath. The baths had 6x6 tile. Now I move on to the 12x12 tile in the kitchen, dining room and laundry room.
sealer, color,
Update (Nov 2015): We continue to LOVE our updated tile in the two bathrooms. Since posting in 2013, the only issue I have had was where water sat on an area for an extended time and it was obvious that the water penetrated the colorant as it bubbled and rubbed off. This area is where I stand and do my makeup and hair daily. I feel certain that the hairspray I use acted as a sealant and I did not get it cleaned well enough. I have since cleaned and repainted that small area and you can tell no difference from the rest of the floor. Looks Great! I have just completed my dining room (took me a while) and am moving on to my kitchen along with some other renovations in those areas.
Before :(
Before :(
Tedious, but oh! so worth it!
Tedious, but oh! so worth it!
After!
After!
PageFarmChick

• Butch2491

How do you apply a small bead with this bottle?

• Karen Williams

Apply with a toothbrush or paint/sponge brush of whatever size/width you need.

• PageFarmChick

I applied with a small, short bristle stencil brush. The grout tends to 'eat' the bristle away after a while, so have more than one on hand. I paint a line or two, cleaning up the excess that overflows onto the tile with a damp finger or rag. Move on to another small area, then go back and give the first area a second coat. Some areas may require a third coat after it dries. And it dries fast.

• Bun4672989

Did you have to sand down each tile's old grout? And how bad is the smell?

• Deborah Hamilton

I just did my whole condo - this stuff works great! No smell. I started out using a paint brush but then switched to a paint sponge. I didn't sand or do any prep at all. I did my kitchen, dining room, breakfast room, living room and two bathrooms and still have part of the 8'oz bottle left. My floors look amazing!

• PageFarmChick

Definitely no sanding. The grout must be clean -- clean or scrub with a tooth brush or even a rag making sure to remove any buildup of food or other cleaning product. The product has little to no odor.

• Angela johnson

I've read many comments, and haven't come across as to what you used. What is the product?

• Agnes

Is it a paint?

• Crista

I have two small decorative tiles that are hideous on my backsplash. I planned on using this to spruce up the grout, any chance you think it might stick to the tile? Of course I'd sand the tile and prime it first. I just don't want to purchase a big can of expensive tile paint if I don't have to!

• Sherry Bechtel

Hello, I'm a messy painter. I know I would get the paint on the tile. Does It come off the tile easily?

• Roger Pekkanen

You can use goof off it gets paint off of anything. Just use s rag and pour a little on the rag and rub it right off.

• Valorie Risteau Paolera

If you use flat exterior latex paint, you can be sloppy. It wipes right off the tile and actually seals the grout. I have a friend who had a large tiled family room, she used a sponge mop, then washed floor after she finished. We used a paint brush, on br floor, and I just wiped it off tiles as I went along.

• Vicki

Frog tape! Tape the edges first before you paint!

• Maria Polo

you can paint the grout with exterior paint? how long does that last? do you have to seal it afterwards?

• Vicki

I painted my grout with porch and floor paint.

, I used frog tape painted a length of grout and removed the tape before the paint could dry Was easy and looks great The latex paint doesn t allow anything to stain the grout now Time consuming but SO WORTH THE EFFORT
    • PageFarmChick

The PolyBlend Grout Renew comes in about a 6 to 8 oz bottle. If you are painted grout between glazed tile, the paint will wipe off the tile easily. I probably would not recommend using between un-glazed tile unless you are super duper detailed. I did not use painters tape.

• Jackie Byrd

How long did it take to do the 2 bathrooms? LOVE the results!

• Diane

I did not get any results of the grout color. Would like to know what paint to use for the grout. I am very interested in it.

• Vicki

But some frog tape, buy a good brand of "porch & floor paint" and remove the tape before the paint dries to leave a nice clean painted edges. Have fun! You'll love the finished product

, Before, After
    • Valorie Risteau Paolera

Easier then one might think. Exterior latex paint, your colour choices are extensive. Just paint the grout, wipe any excess off the tiles. Exterior paint stands up to all types of weather, so water, etc. On your floors is no problem. It does seal the grout. I sold tile for years, hated commercial tile cleaners, just hot water, vinigar, and a deck mop. We have never had a problem. My husband hated being asked to remove and replace grout,but a friend of ours did the paint on her huge family room floor, used a sponge mop, and washed the paint off her tiles. Looks great even today, 10 years later. Just make sure it's latex paint.

• Bonnie Foltz

Can I paint my tile and my grout?
  • Sherry Bernstein

Seems like two different things going on here! From the pictures of this project - was flat, exterior latex paint used, or was it Grout Renewal from Home Depot?
  • Bonnie Buddemeyer

What kind of paint?
  • Hope Alcaraz

Where did you get the grout paint?What was the brand? Do you seal the grout after painting it in? please email me at hopealcaraz@me.com. Thank you.
    • I did mine with RENEW from home depot. You paint it on with a toothbrush. Then I sealed it with a sealer in small bottle that you just squeeze out. I can't remember the name of it. But, it looks like new. It is time consuming. Better that cutting out old grout and redoing
    • Dbd33685409

Is a toothbrush better than small art paint brush or foam brush?

• PageFarmChick

I used an art brush.

• Bul33347571

If you want to add a second coat of poly blend grout renewal how long do you have to wait before you can apply it again?

• PageFarmChick

The polyblend grout renew dries relatively quickly. I paint a few squares with first coat, then come back and repeat.

• Bul33347571

• Robert Marie

Great tutorial!!

Directions, plus products used, are perfectly noted and described.

• Laura Hodges

Total agree Robert Marie. Very good info. And complete info. So sorry others are not able to read. "few squares" could be clarified little more.