Inexpensive Storage Ideas To Make The Most Of A Kitchen Sink Cabinet

I don't know about you but I think the storage in the cabinet under the kitchen sink is a dysfunctional and frustrating space to organize. The cabinet is a fairly large area with lots of storage potential. But the necessary plumbing needed for the kitchen sink and the dishwasher take up a lot of the cabinet. To further add to the issue the plumbing pipes don't nicely tuck away in the back. Instead the elbow joints and different pipes jut out and make the space awkward and uneven.
To add to my frustration I have a pretty small kitchen sink cabinet. As you can see I don't have a lot to work with. So what I decided to do was get creative and look for inexpensive storage containers to make the most of the space that I do have.
I bought two sets of plastic 2-drawer units. I labeled each drawer. I also found it helpful to take items out of the packaging they came in when they were purchased. For example the dishwasher tablets are now stored in one of the drawers. I love how convenient they are to access.
Another thing I did was take the scouring pads out of the packaging. They are not always needed but they are handy to have nearby. But scouring pads can be messy when they are dry and when they are wet. So I stored the dry ones in pairs in plastic sandwich bags to avoid getting the powder they can leave from getting all over the drawer. I also placed a small plastic storage container at the front to hold the wet ones after they have been used.
Next to the drawer units is just enough space for a tall plastic container to hold all of the cleaning tools that are handy to have near the sink.
On top of the drawer units I placed a plastic rectangular tray style basket. Actually if you look carefully I stacked two on top of each other to make the storage tray more sturdy. This is where I store the cleaners.
This how I am able to make the most use of the storage space that I have under the sink. For those of you who have a much larger kitchen sink cabinet I am bit jealous of the storage potential that you have using these inexpensive ideas.
All of the storage containers were inexpensively bought at Walmart and the dollar store. It was also a quick job to organize everything.
You cannot see it in the photograph but I also store the extra bottles of dish detergent and the dishwasher tablets hidden in the back. Every space in the cabinet is used to its potential without interfering with the necessary plumbing.
For more details and photographs I invite you to visit the blog!

Time With Thea

• Ticia

Is that a crumb catcher beneath that sink? Please tell me how to use it and make it work. I have one but unless I get down on the floor to put it on, it's a problem for me and I can't get down any more. Appreciate your advice. TIA

• Beverly

That is an air vent. A “crumb catcher” is a convenient part of a central vac system. There should be a “tab” or little toggle that sticks out that allows you to turn it on with your foot. You should never have to bend down or use your hands. They are fantastic...quick and easy!

• I need to find something for the bottom of this cabinet to prevent water damage in case pipes leak. Something like a car mat. Any suggestions?

• Elaine Milillo

I bough cheap peel and stick kitchen tile at Home Depot, and they work beautifully!!!

• Mel92767

I love the organization! I'm going have to try this. A suggestion for your gloves, put a small 3M hook on the inside of the door and clip the gloves with a mini binder clip which slips perfectly over the 3M hook.

• Sandi

Thanx for the inspiration!

• MADI

GREAT idea, unfortunately all my plumbing is smack-dab in the middle, it costs valuable, wasted space. TX for sharing.