Upcycle Tin Cans and Old Jeans Into a Handy Caddy

$10

Repurpose some old tin cans, jeans and screwdriver into this useful stylish copper and denim caddy.

Used as a picnic caddy

What you need : 6 Tin Cans Hems of Old Jeans Old wooden handled screwdriver Piece of pallet or other old wood Screws Spray paint

Firstly spray your tin cans. I sprayed mine inside different colours as I love colourful stuff. I sprayed the outside copper to give it a more stylish look.

Prepare your handle by driving your screwdriver into the middle of your piece of wood at the top.

Caddy Handle

You will attach the cans to the handle with your denim hem strips. Make sure you denim hems fit snuggly around your cans. You can use either eyelets or washers, when screwing the cans to the wooden handle using your denim straps.

Screw the straps to the wood

When all six cans are attached your caddy is ready.

My dining room doubles up as my craft room so I use the caddy to neatly store some of my arts and crafts tools whilst keeping them at hand. You could of course use it as a picnic or cutlery caddy. What would you use your for ?

Full details are on my blog. Also if you want to see the brilliant washi tape holder I made out of an old broom handle click here. If you want to see my colourful tin can planter in a pallet holder Click here.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Linda Carter

I would love to know more about your buffet in your dining room that I can just barely see in your tin can pallet tutorial. The colors are beautiful! Do you know the paint colors for your buffet? Thank you!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

@Linda Carter It was a while ago I painted the cabinet. I used a Annie Sloan Black chalk paint for the cabinet exterior and for the interior I just got a lime coloured emulsion paint made up at my local homestore and added tile grout powder to make it a chalk paint. I also used an Annie Sloan dark wax on the outside of the cabinet (after sanding to achieve the distress look). If you look at this post there are a few more photos of my cabinet http://www.pillarboxblue.com/diy-handy-washi-tape-holder/ I hope that is of some help.

• Lisa Manrique

Can you actually lift the caddy with the screw driver handle simply pushed into the piece of wood?

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Yes I've been using it for awhile. I kind of twisted the screw driver in quite deep, it had a small head. You could always glue the screw driver in as well if your are not sure.

• Stephanie

Hi Claire, I realize this post is a couple years old, but I hope you get my message. Your caddy is so unique and I love that you painted the inside of the cans, so fun! I have a question about the lovely pineapple. Do you have a tutorial for it? Its simply gorgeous! Thanks so much and i hope you're enjoying the holidays!

• Stephanie

Oh my gosh, that's so funny! I guess what they say is true about what a coat of paint can do for something!

• Michelle

I think I am going to try this using my colorful foreign beer cans. I hated to punch holes for little planters. Or you could use this idea for contained herbal garden!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Thank you. Instead of punching holes in the tin cans use a cut up soda bottle and pop that inside the cans.

• Dellria M.

Great project I was thinking What could I do with some of the cans from my collection, I try to recycle everything. So thanks for your smart idea I will be doing this project.