From Dump to Divine With Unicorn SPiT

I saved this table from the landfill and I am so glad I did! It's GORGEOUS now! And so easy to do!
Before
First I sanded it down to bare wood with my orbital sander.
Then used Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain to create this! I used four different colours on this piece; purple, green, blue, and teal.
After
So awesome and so easy to use! Unicorn SPiT is a water based, non toxic (yay!) wood stain that you literally can use with your bare hands! And that's what I did! I placed the stain on the table with the syringes sold by Unicorn SPiT and smeared it across the table with my hand, back and forth.
There are awesome step by step tutorials at www.unicornspit.com, where you can also buy the product. This is just one of many techniques that can be used to create awesome effects!
Look at the wood grain pop through!
I finished the table off with 5 coats of Minwax water based polyurethane to get the super glossy finish. The base of the table is traditional Minwax wood stain in Dark Walnut.

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas

• Andrea Weiffenbach Finfrock

I was wondering when you were all done what did you seal it with? I'm getting ready to try something similar with my son's art table.

• Amanda Janke

Did you water down the unicorn spit on this table? or did you use it full strength?

• Gail Mckerrow

You say you finished with water based poly but I understood you have to use an oil based finish as anything water based reactivates the spit. Did you use something in between?

• Tracy Downing

Hi! I used a poly by Minwax and its water based oil modified. I've had very good luck with it.

• Melissa Friesz

what's exact name of it or do u have pic of can
    • Marci Wiesen

I would like to know as well: exact name and a picture of the product because all discussion about how to seal Unicorn Spit ALWAYS warn to not used a water based sealer. This would be awesome to use if this kind of sealer can in fact be used. Tracy, would you share the info ? xo

• Melissa Craig

My kitchen cupboards have been finished with linseed oil. Can I pAint over them?

• Kathleen Browder

I believe you need to put Bonding primer on first...beacause there is oil on them now. If you try and jyst paint..it will peel off.

• Mary Guentner

You can use linseed oil paint

• Kerri Scott Pittiglio

I work with paint and it is extremely difficult if not impossible to get anything to adhere to linseed oil. It's a tough product that's pretty much impossible to remove or cover with something else

• Susann

I've treated several window frames in boiled linseed oil and the most important thing is you have to rub the linseed in thoroughly and let it dry for 24 hours! Not good on a humid day. After it has dried. Should not feel any tackiness.....I've painted these ,using oil based paint . They have turned out well and have not had any issues . 2 years so far.

• Mim9215498

Hi, I cannot get on web site for unicornspit products. I'd like to try this idea but can't find any water base stain to do this so I'd like to order some off the web site, can you help please? Thanks Cathy

• Amanda Payne

What are the names of the colors?

• Lisa Snider

How long is the wait between the wax coats?

• Lili

What brand is your orbital sander?

• Pep6104670

Where do you get the colors? And are they expensive?

• Melissa

I think it is Unicorn Spit Wood Gel Stain. Amazon has them for 8oz. for about $20ea.

• Regina White Lovvorn

if they come in 8 oz size. how much did you use for this coffee table

• Tracy Downing

Very very little. I still am using the same bottles 2 years later and I've done a ton of projects.

• Xoqtox1960

what is unicorn spit exactly? where do u get the designs?
  • Glynes

In the Uk where can I buy Unicorn Spit not over the Internet?
  • Bronwyn Thomas

Is it available in australia and what is the costing if this. Do you have an Australian supplier/ distribution agent
  • Minta B

How did you put the min wax on with a paint brush if you did that wouldn't you see the brush strokes?
    • Jo Ann Spofford

I use unicorn spit. I love it and the results that it produces. You do not see brush strokes when the poly dries.
  • Laura bailey

Is milk paint the same

• Heidifdez

No, milk paint is paint. SPiT is a stain, which is semi-transparent. It can be thinned with water to make it even more transparent.

*** Note: This stain MUST be sealed with polyurethane or it will wipe right off if it gets wet!

Also, if you don't like the way that the stain came out, you can add a little more stain (or water) and it becomes re-workable.

• Laura bailey

Is milk paint the same

• Paula

nooo, Unicorn spit is soft as silk and blends amazing and it's a stain not a paint

• Jessica Ann

I use this stuff all the time and I absolutely am in LOBE with it!!!!

• Stuart

How did you get it so smooth? Did you have to sand and buff?

• Kristin

I am new to the business of repurpose furniture. I will be trying this today and tomorrow. Any tips or tricks you could pass on? Beautiful piece btw.