Wanda K
Wanda K
  • Amherst, MA
Asked on Feb 24, 2013

Eating foliage of my sunflowers and hydrangeas

Gail SalminenDouglas HuntWanda K
+5

Last year and the year before, I had a terrible time in my both my vegetable garden and flower beds. Something was eating small holes in the leaves of my plants. When I turned the leaves over I could see small yellow "eggs" on the leaves. Anyone know what the culprit is, and how to treat it before it happens again this coming up season??? Thanks.
  • 3po3

Do you have any photos? Or can you tell us what specific plants it attacked?

I'll second Steve's question. It's hard to know what the problem might be without more information.

• Lawn Pro

it appears you have spider mites ,spray with a insectacide top and underneath of foliage drench good and follow up in 2 weeks and do again

• Lawn Pro

Forgot to mention you can also use dormant Lil.this will smother the insects

• Wanda K

The plants that it seems to like most is my sunflower foliage, eggplant leaves, and my hydrangea leaves. Nothing touched the tomatoes, peppers, or herbs. I used a homemade pesticide of neem oil, and also tried a soap and cayenne pepper spray . Which helped some, but they always came back.

• Wanda K

What is dormant Lil? Is it organic? I really do not want to kill any of the beneficial insects as well.

Wanda, I think you're on the right track. You might try a commercial insecticidal soap like Safer.

• Gail Salminen

@Wanda K your best bet may be to take a few leaves with the eggs - well seled in a baggie - to your local nursery. They should be able to identify and recomend the appropriat treatment. I had to do this a couple of years ago for an infestation on my creeping virginia. The recommended an ecological spray that worked well, haven't seen them since.