Our Experience With DIY Ardex Counter Tops

Our Experience with Ardex Concrete Counters
This post by Little Green Notebook on concrete counter tops was the first I had seen of its kind and I was immediately inspired. I knew right then and there that I had to do that! It’s been a little over a year since I originally saw that post and I have finally made over my kitchen counter tops. So today, I am sharing Our Experience with Ardex Concrete Counters.
our experience with diy ardex counter tops, concrete countertops, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design
First, I prepped the work area by covering all surfaces except the floor with plastic drop cloths. Our house has such an open floor plan that I even walled off the kitchen with plastic in an attempt to contain the upcoming dust storm.
I also taped all along the wall and edge of the sink. This worked great for keeping a nice clean edge.
Next, 50 grit sandpaper was used to rough up the surface of the preexisting laminate counter top.
Then, I mixed up water and the concrete powder. The Ardex package calls for 2 parts powder and 1 part water. After trial and error, I concluded that 1.5 parts powder to 1 part water worked best for me.
After that, I applied the toothpaste like concoction to the counters using the trowels, 4″ and 1″ putty knives for the small spaces, and the 12″ knife and 10″ trowel for the larger areas.
I let every coat completely dry (there were four coats total) then I hand sanded the dry concrete using 80 grit and 120 grit sand paper.
Here is what the counters looked like during the first coat.
This process was A LOT of work and made a huge mess.
After that, I used a shop vac to clean up the big grubby mess. This took forever, but I am so glad to rid our floors of little grimy footprints.
Finally, I added several coats of sealer.
I am in love with how these counters turned out! They really are beautiful!
To get the full tutorial and more DIY projects check out Elizabeth Jaon Designs.
Elizabeth Joan Designs

• Christine Moore

cool. i see alot of people using another coat after the sealer-do you think this is necessary? I didnt really want a glossy lacquer look but more soft concrete look, but need it protected from food and us protected the same... so not sure...how has it held up with JUST the 511 impregantor sealer?

• Taffetal

So, did you create a frame around the edge of the counter-tops to contain the cement at the sides? I see that the concrete is adhered to the vertical edges. How did you do that?

• LauraBeth

I wonder if instead of a trowel you could use a long 2x4 so you could smooth it all at once