Cecilia Bramhall
Cecilia Bramhall
  • Pflugerville, TX

Dining Room Table Redo

We had a dining room table and four chairs we received as a wedding gift 33 years ago. Time had taken its toll on the finish and I was close to just getting rid of it. But I decided to try and refinish it. Come see how it turned out.
dining room table redo, painted furniture
I started by sanding the tacky worn finish off the top then stained it with Minwax's Espresso stain. Three coats of semi-gloss poly and it looks brand new!
Next, I mixed up some DIY chalk paint and painted the base.
I lightly distressed the base to bring out the detail. All the painted areas got a coat of clear wax followed by dark wax.
The chairs also got the chalk paint treatment, light distressing, and then clear and dark wax.
I wanted two more chairs but couldn't find any new ones I liked so I went to my favorite consignment store and found two of these for cheaper than the cost of one new chair!
I knew with paint and new fabric, they'd blend nicely with my other chairs. So I cleaned them up, removed the old stained fabric, painted and reupholstered them.
I found this script fabric at Walmart. It came in many different colors but this neutral fit my color scheme perfectly. (Although the red tempted me!)
I have to admit, I'm in love with my dining set again! It turned out far better than I imagined it would and the host chairs are a perfect addition to it!
Come over to my blog The B Farm to find out how it looks all decorated for Fall.

Cecilia Bramhall

• Ken Kennedy

What grit of sandpaper did you use and did you do it by hand or use a sander ? We have a similar table with the same issues . Did you also use the same to prep the painted areas . ( It looks great ! )

• Cecilia Bramhall

ken, the finish was so bad on the top that most came off when I scrubbed it with soap and water. I used 100 grit, followed by 150 for the rest. Oh, by hand. A sander would speed up the process but there wasn't enough for me to break that out. The top was in good condition other than the finish. As for the rest, I used chalk paint so I didn't have to sand it. It sticks really well. However, if you're not comfortable with just painting it on, you can lightly scuff the areas you are going to paint.

• Marilyn Buttenham

I have decided on the same idea, but my table and chairs are from Ikea, and have a vinyl finish, great condition, needing to change from white to brown!!!!???? Any suggestions on what paint to use. My spring project outside!! 😋

• Cecilia Bramhall

I find Chalk paint will stick to just about anything. It might take a couple of coats but I’ve had it stick to an old rotary phone which is slick. Not sure how well it will hold up as I don’t sit on the phone (ha) but I’ve had great luck with chalk paint.