Pine Cone Wreath

Wanted to make a pine cone wreath but I needed a base so I decided to use hose from an old vacuum cleaner. I like shopping in the woods around my home for craft supplies and that is were I got the pine cones.
pine cone wreath, crafts, seasonal holiday decor, wreaths
I cut hose into and hot glued it together to make base large enough.
Need to cut pine cones down, tried garden clippers but they weren't strong enough so I used branch trimmers and they worked great.
I cut and hot glued cones all around, then I trimmed down smaller unopened cones to fill in gaps. I also made a wire hanger for the back using a wire coat hanger and hot glued it to the back.
I used spray paint over entire wreath. Paint was a bright sea foam color but the pine cones soaked the paint up causing color change. It was a nice surprise because I like the new grayish color.
I then spray painted sweet gum balls a bright glossy red but once again the color changed. Hot glued them on and was finished. I may add a bow later.

• Evelyn Monahan

made the pine cone wreath but after awhile the pine cones started falling off even though they were hot glued on what was the problem never had a problem with hot glue before

• Marrianne Rudy

Try E6000 glue instead. While it will take longer to make because you have to leave it to set, they'll stay on in any weather.

• Ed Mockapetris

Beautiful! What would you use if you had no vacuum cleaner hoses to spare?

• Peg34118090
      31 minutes ago

Lowe's and Home Depot sell plastic sump pump discharge hose (24 ft for $12.00 +/-). It's light in weight but should work.

• Virginia Duncan

Did you use a solution to clean and debug insects from pine ones before using them? Others have told me pine cones usually have lot of insects?

• Peg34118090
      28 minutes ago

Put the pine cones in sealed freezer bags overnight to kill any insects. Let them rest for a day or so, take them outside and shake them individually before beginning work on your project.