Pine Cone Wreath

Wanted to make a pine cone wreath but I needed a base so I decided to use hose from an old vacuum cleaner. I like shopping in the woods around my home for craft supplies and that is were I got the pine cones.
pine cone wreath, crafts, seasonal holiday decor, wreaths
I cut hose into and hot glued it together to make base large enough.
Need to cut pine cones down, tried garden clippers but they weren't strong enough so I used branch trimmers and they worked great.
I cut and hot glued cones all around, then I trimmed down smaller unopened cones to fill in gaps. I also made a wire hanger for the back using a wire coat hanger and hot glued it to the back.
I used spray paint over entire wreath. Paint was a bright sea foam color but the pine cones soaked the paint up causing color change. It was a nice surprise because I like the new grayish color.
I then spray painted sweet gum balls a bright glossy red but once again the color changed. Hot glued them on and was finished. I may add a bow later.

• Sandie Lori

This is BEAUTIFUL!! I was wondering how you got it looking so perfectly set. lol...never expected that a vacuum hose was used for the base. BRILLIANT! Love, love, LOVE the color!! But one question? *sweet gumballs*?? When I hear that I think of candy lol...what are those?

• Kathleen Julian Clore

@Sand "seet gumballs" = those pesky gumballs that fall from trees and REEEALY hurt when you step on them barefoot + can make you slip & slide when you have shoes on! LOL, who woulda knew that they'd be good for something so beautiful?

• Sandie Lori

@Kathleen Julian Clore lol...ty! Thought that's what you meant...just never heard them called that :)

• Phyllis McDonald

I still don't understand what they are. Are they pinecones? If not, what kind of tree? I live in Colordo and I'm not sure I've seen "sweet gumballs". Can you buy them somewhere?

• TJ Christie

No no no... sweet-gum balls, not sweet gumballs! They are balls from the sweet-gum tree. Quite the nuisance! http://web.extension.illinois.edu/ccdms/yg/070210.html

• Lynn Reed

I forgive all gumballs now that I see this:)

• Kay p.

They're still a pain in the neck. We have them all over our front yard. Good use of them. Very pretty.

• Phyllis McDonald

I don't understand what "sweet gumballs" are. Are they pinecones? If not, what kind of tree? I live in Colordo and I'm not sure I've seen "sweet gumballs". Can you buy them somewhere? Phyllis McDonald Phyllis McDonaldLoveland, CO·answered Just Now·

• TJ Christie

Phyllis, they are not "sweet gumballs" -- they are "sweet-gum balls" from the sweet-gum tree! http://web.extension.illinois.edu/ccdms/yg/070210.html

• Soc

Phyllis the sweetgum should grow in CO. They are the spiky round balls that fall from the trees. If you can find someone with a tree they will probably give you however many you can pick up. You may be able to google and find someone selling some. Good luck.

• Marlene Bent

What about dried burdock? Would look very similar. Not sure if that grows out there or not.

• Louiseb

It looks red and white to me, not grey and some color other than red. Did you spray ithem again?

• Stacy

An ornamental tree ,Liquidambar styraciflua, commonly called American sweetgum. I have 3 in my yard here in deep East Texas. They produce those bur or gum balls but they are brown in color, not red ( they were spray painted)

• Lynn Murphy-Picker

Sweet gum tree produces the sweet gum balls which are textured similar to a pinecone. Beautiful tree. A lot of people complain about the mess from all the balls that drop off like pinecones. Love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

• Donna

we used to call them cherry bombs as they look like a round bomb with the fuse sticking out

• Nancy

You don't want to step on one with bare feet

• Janis

What is the diameter of the inner hose?

• Helen Gooden

Check Michael's for the rings they had different sizes .

• Diana Dailey

Sorry to be so long in answering, family sickness and email got into the thousands. It's about 2" 4/12" out side counting both hoses. About 30" finished.

• Tina Coyle

Do the pinecones close up in cold weather? I always wanted to make this, but worried that would happen and spoil the look of the wreath if I hung it outside.

• Helen Gooden

I have made several of them. I buy the metal rings at Michael's . wire the pine cones leave excess wire to attach them on the ring. The rings are made out of a wire like a coat hanger. They also had a tree frame. Start with the larger cone then work on each side. I sprayed mine with a clear coat. The cold has never bothered them but if it gets wet.. they will close up. then need to dry and wires need tightened..So if it is diaplayed on a covered porch/door it's fine.

• Winnie

I have three pine trees in my yard, so tons of cones. I've never seen them affected by cold

• Terry Russell

I put mine in oven,they open fully,cool then clear coat!

• Deanie Winter

Pine cones will close back up if they get rained on.

• Tina Coyle

Ahhh, I thought it was the cold that made them close, but with experimenting have found you guys are right, it is the rain that closes them. Now I can put this on my covered porch without worry!

• Mary Law

I lived in the NE...When sprayed with Polyeurathane they won't close with rain. Never heard of cold affecting them

• Annette

Do you have a web site?

• Diana Dailey

Sorry to be so long in answering. Family sickness. And for some reason just not getting notice. No, I have an Etsy store but it polymerclay fairy houses. FairyAbodesByDiana.

• Etta Mae Turley

what are sweet gum balls and where do you get them?

• Deborah Rolman

They are small balls with spines that come from the American sweetgum tree.

• Tommi L. Perkins

You can come to my house and have ALL you want!! Never buy a sweet gum tree!!

• Marcella Smith

Do craft stores carry them?

• Joanie

I will let you have all my gumballs. I WILL let you take all my trees and you can take THEM and the gumballs too. They grow wild in Virginia. Pretty trees with 5 points on the leaves, similiar to a maple. The gumballs fall and they are a real MESS!!!!

• Mary Wise

Sweetgum balls are the bane of my existence!! The first time you step on one barefooted, you'll remember those suckers for the rest of your life! Not quite as bad as sandspurs, but almost!!😅

• VARUSHKA YOLANDA

we called them itchy balls
  • Evelyn Monahan

made the pine cone wreath but after awhile the pine cones started falling off even though they were hot glued on what was the problem never had a problem with hot glue before

• Diana Dailey

I had four to fall off after a few months, glued the back and so far so good. Can't hang outside here, the heat melts the glue, I could wire them on I guess.

• Marrianne Rudy

Try E6000 glue instead. While it will take longer to make because you have to leave it to set, they'll stay on in any weather.
  • Ed Mockapetris

Beautiful! What would you use if you had no vacuum cleaner hoses to spare?
    • Meg

Lowe's and Home Depot sell plastic sump pump discharge hose (24 ft for $12.00 +/-). It's light in weight but should work.

• Jackie Reed

Pool noodles

• Barbara Brunner

You could use the hoses of old CPAP machines. The machines are used for sleep apnea. Maybe one of your friends have one

• Virginia Duncan

Did you use a solution to clean and debug insects from pine ones before using them? Others have told me pine cones usually have lot of insects?
    • Meg

Put the pine cones in sealed freezer bags overnight to kill any insects. Let them rest for a day or so, take them outside and shake them individually before beginning work on your project.

• Jackie Reed

I rinse my pine cones in a bleach water solution. I let them soak for about 10 -15 minutes and then dry them in the sun (or you can dry them in the oven).

• Sharon Reardon

I put them in a low oven @200 degrees for 20-30 minutes. It dries them, debugs them, and opens them up.

• Phyllis Herrin

pine cones have no bugs if in the mountains. get them when they fall off tree during wind

• Ysleta

AWESOME lookin! Sweet gum balls, actual gumballs???