Jim G
Jim G
  • Suffolk, VA
Asked on Feb 24, 2013

When to spray Weed Killer going into Spring?

Jim GDouglas Hunt3po3

I've bought my Weed killer (Bayer for me proves very good). I ASSUME, cause I have NO CLUE, when is the best time to spray the weed killer before or near spring? Thanks.
  • 3po3

I suggest calling a good nursery in your area, or your local cooperative extension office. They can probably give you the best local advice, as they know the climate and your local recent conditions.

That type of weed control applies to weeds that are actively growing, Jim. The thing to apply in early spring (when the forsythia are in bloom is a good indicator) is a pre-emergent, which, as the name suggests, will help prevent weed seeds from germinating.

• Jim G

Steve: thanks. I'm trying to get time in-fact to run over to the nursery, figured they might be able to tell me more also. Morning Doug. good to hear from you. OK, pre-emergent. I'll get out and get that this week in prep.