I Had A Vision For This Old Cable Spool

I can get these cable spools for free from our utility company and every time I saw one of them, I just knew I could make something cool out of it. I just wasn't sure what that would be. So I loaded a couple of them into my truck, stored them in the backyard and waited for the creative juices to start flowing! My husband and I are converting some spare space in our home to a wine room and we needed a
The finished product.
The finished product.
I enlisted my brother to help me with some of the construction, since power tools and I can be a dangerous combination. First, we took some old boards we had laying around and using wood glue, glued them to the top of the spool.
The spool In its original glory
The spool In its original glory
It sat on my patio for about 3 months before I started working on it, so it became even more weathered and rustic looking - that's a good thing - right?!
i had a vision for this old cable spool, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
More glue.
Then using a staple gun, we secured them even more. I wanted the base of the soon to be table to be smaller than the table top, so we cut off about 2 inches around the bottom. You can see the part we cut off laying on the ground.
Next we flipped the whole thing over and cut off the boards to match the size of the original top. I could have made this table without adding the boards on the top because the original top had its own kind of uniqueness, but for my vision, I wanted a uniform surface without all the holes.
Flipped it over again and sanded the edges.
We used a router to round the edges a bit.
Then it was ready for some stain. I used Minwax stain in Red Mahogany.
Then I was stumped, I just couldn't decide what I wanted to use to cover the center part of the spool. I ended up using 3 sheets of ceiling tiles I purchased at Home Depot. I had to cut them down in height to fit and then I glued them in place and added a staple or two for extra holding power.
It was starting to come together.
Then came the stencils. I found a stencil on line with some French love phrases, combined it with a couple other stencils I already had and using creme colored chalk paint placed them in random order on the top.
I added two coats of Minwax Polycrylic to protect the wood from spills and glass rings. This table is going in a wine room after all - :-)
The final reveal.
It fits perfectly between the two leather chairs and it's the right height for sitting back and relaxing with a glass of wine. We are really happy with the way it turned out. Now I have to figure out what to do with the other spool sitting in my back yard.

• Maude LaFountain

I love it !! How did you get the bottle of wine to hold up like that ?....did you attach the wood piece to the table or what ? You guys did an awesome job ?

• Lee

Its an low weighted bottle holder. Just sits on flat surface.

• How about making the other into a higher table it would be gorgeous

• Barb C

Very nice; perfect for those chairs. But I'm dying to know about the faux window? Or is it a closed in archway? Would love some info on that.

• Barb C

Aaah aren't you lucky. It is a gem. No paint overs for that.