Waist high garden

+21
I am 70 and would like to build a waist high garden out of wood. I was thinking a plywood bottom and 4 wooden legs. Fill it with soil? or put potted plants in it. What do you think?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 16, 2015
    Before you build something,try repurposing items you may already own for plants.I use old wheel barrels,whiskey barrels,very large planters etc.
  • Wanda sinnema Wanda sinnema on Oct 16, 2015
    I have also seen the large metal water containers used by farmers for raised gardens. variety of sizes, durable, I think they drilled a few holes in the bottom, set them on a raised frame
    • Pat Keadle Gougler Pat Keadle Gougler on Oct 21, 2015
      @Wanda sinnema This is a great idea-and very inexpensive! We have been gardening in old leaky horse tanks for several years now. No squatting down to weed!! They are easy to find also. Just find a small town near you and ask at the local cafe if anyone has an old tank they don't want.
  • Ashley Mann Ashley Mann on Oct 16, 2015
    I think a plywood bottom might rot if filled with soil. If you decide to go with soil, you might try this design instead: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Raised-Bed-Planter/
  • Szud Szud on Oct 16, 2015
    Find an old table with solid legs, nail boards to the sides, Lat some plastic sheeting on the table top, drill a few drain holes in the table top...position it, line the bottom with stones, then fill it up with good top soil. Good luck
    • Kathleenmontgomery Kathleenmontgomery on Oct 17, 2015
      @Szud This is a great idea. Thank you. I don't get the part about nailing boards to the sides. Can you explain a little more? Thank you so much.
  • Andeanna Farnes Andeanna Farnes on Oct 16, 2015
    A friend used two rows of stagger stacked concrete blocks for legs. She used plastic lined repurposed wooden pallet boxes on top to create planting beds. She did this to thwart rabbits. The result was a sturdy 5'x5'? raised gardening area.
  • Corrina Corrina on Oct 17, 2015
    Hmm old hot tub? Been trying to get one for my goldfish to give them more room but had thought of using one for plants that need acidic soil, I have only clay. Save the wood to use as decorative around it and should have an drain hole already to use. Hard part is getting folks to haul it, that's my hold back. Just a thought. Here, there many offered up free.
  • Marlene Murray Marlene Murray on Oct 17, 2015
    We've made several.....unless you use a pressure treated wood, they rot quickly.
  • Dot M Dot M on Oct 17, 2015
    If you can afford to buy the "Earth Boxes" they work great. When I was a bit younger than you are now, I made some wooden standards , for the long tops I used two 2x4`s with a small space between them, painted the standards, then placed the earth boxes on top of the standards. I call it my walk around garden because I can stand up and walk around the boxes caring for the plants. The earth boxes also have a space in the very bottom that you fill with your garden hose for watering the plants. I am now 84 and still using the same standards and boxes every spring/summer with good success. I made each standard long and wide enough to hold either two or one holds three of the boxes. No weeding either this way. I started out with just 3 boxes and each year after I added one more till I had a total of 8 boxes. Good luck.
    Where do I buy "Earth Boxes."? Never heard of them. Will be looking for a picture online. Thank you.
  • Char Meier Char Meier on Oct 17, 2015
    try straw bails pilled up. research straw bail gardening, Lowes has a book on how too. you can make it waist high. you plant right in the bails.
  • Sandra Whittier Sandra Whittier on Oct 17, 2015
    Remember you live in Texas and what you are considering to make, could end up being the home to snakes and spiders below the waist. If you do this find a way to enclose the bottom and sides against critters that could make you breakfast in bed during the winter and spring.
  • LD LD on Oct 17, 2015
    Here is a link to Gardeners Supply, which sells elevated gardens. http://www.gardeners.com/buy/gardening/elevated-garden-beds/
    Never ever had an isue using pressure treated for edibles. Ever.
  • Szud Szud on Oct 17, 2015
    Use 1 x 6 or taller boards to build sides that will contain the soil that you may want to dump into it. Or just use clay flower pots that you sit on the table.
  • Diane Nuckolls Diane Nuckolls on Oct 18, 2015
    fill the bottom with styrofoam peanuts which you can purchase at a mailing facility. this takes less soil and will drain beautiful.. i have done this with big pots and never lost a plant yet.
  • Liliana Wells Liliana Wells on Oct 18, 2015
    also check with Amazon or Ebay for some of these gardening containers. Good luck
  • Anne fenske Anne fenske on Oct 18, 2015
    74 and loving my new garden on painted pallets. Don't use clay pots: even with filler they are too heavy to move and u will; guaranteed. Buy square plastic in color of your choice: make it u. Make sure pots have water hold section or square fancy plates( bargain store or second hand) A few ornaments on pallets that make u smile. Go for it. Fun time. P.S. Tapered plants get blown over in high wind.