Deb K
Deb K
  • Chesapeake, VA
Asked on Dec 1, 2011

We have an unfinished backyard and want to put in a patio.

Frank CHewitt Remodeling Services LLCClay B
+10

We are considering putting a dye in the cement, either light grey or dark grey, and then have a one foot border around the patio. Staining the cement is also an option. Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you!
  • Staining is the way to go. The color additives limit your options and really do not look anywhere near as nice as the staining can provide.

• Clay B

If you do stain, be sure to seal it regularly. Consider a 'non-skid' additive so it's not too slippery when wet.

• 3po3

Agreed. Staining and sealing sounds great.

• Deb K

Can anyone recommend a reputable concrete company?

• Deb, I wish I had someone to personally refer you to. I know lots of great people that cover a wide span of different skills...but staining concrete is not one of them. Did you happen to get to Homerama this past spring or fall? I recall lots of stained concrete at the different homes. Here is a list of landscape pros from the Homearama Planning book. If they don't do the work themselves, they know who does: Kent Basnight of Basnight Land & Lawn: 436-9617; Jeff Miller of Landworks Unlimited: 312-0385; Robert Nye of Renaissance Outdoor Contracting: 548-5055; Dreamscape Designers: 412-1265; Eddie Gosman of Edward Gosman & Associates: 421-2500; Jack Frost Landscapes: 368-4477; Jack & Jane Reynolds of Reynolds Landscaping: 558-2528. I'll send a note to Gary Gilkirk, another Hometalker....he has much more experience and may know someone he can refer you to. Tim

• Frank C

This is a flagstone area my wife and I built together, right now it is 4 years old and hardly any problems with weather affecting the stones without sealing. from start to finish it cost about 1500.00. after we took out the 4 pines that were there.

q we have an unfinished backyard and want to put in a patio we are considering, concrete masonry, outdoor living, patio, pic 1q we have an unfinished backyard and want to put in a patio we are considering, concrete masonry, outdoor living, patio, pic 3
  • Frank C

Pic 2

q we have an unfinished backyard and want to put in a patio we are considering, concrete masonry, outdoor living, patio, Just after we finished
  • Glkirk Builders Inc.

Deb, Call the sales dept at "Titan" concrete and ask them for some names of some contractors that specialize in that type of work. Get 3 bids/proposals. Good luck.

• Deb K

Thank you all for the helpful information. We are new to the area....and also the climate is new to us.....so we are not familiar with different companies, and also what 'works' in this environment. @Frank C, your pation is beautiful! My husband and I did a bluestone patio and we loved it, but do not have the time now for DIY projects. @Hewitt Service, we did go to the Homearama and will look into the different pamphlets we got from there. @ Gilkirk, we will call Titan.... Thanks again, everyone!

• Deb K

Hewitt services, also thank you for all the resources!

• Clay B

I had Mullins Concrete do a stamped/stained patio 5 years ago, came out very good. I'm sure he can help you. Back then a 10 x 20 stamped patio was about $2500, was also recently quoted a larger one 12'x34' at $5000. Also, make sure you plan the size. I always say, figure what you need, then double the size, trust me; or, borrow some patio furniture, and mark out the area, to get a good visual and real feeling of the space.

• That is excellent advice from Clay regarding the size of the patio. You can mark furniture out on the ground to give you an idea.....but you really need something with some vertical height to get a great feel for clearances from the furniture to the edge, for example. Easiest thing to do is pull some kitchen or dining room chairs out there to help you visualize. Like Clay mentioned, you almost always need more than you think you do. I run into this alot with decks. Tim

• Frank C

Deb, Thanks for the compliment. I didn't have the time either. But the long hours of summer helped after I got home from work. To go to work again. LOL.