How to Clean Blinds - the Easy Way!

Getting the Spring Fever itch? Get a jump start on your spring cleaning with an easy way to clean those icky blinds.
how to clean blinds the easy way, cleaning tips
This method is for faux wooden blinds. I've updated the blog post for additional tips on other style blinds. Visit: http://www.creativelysouthern.com/2013/02/how-to-clean-blinds.html to see more tips on how to clean REAL WOOD blinds and fabric blinds!
how to clean blinds the easy way, cleaning tips, Try vinegar and water or for really tough stuck on grime bleach and water
Try vinegar and water or for really tough stuck on grime - bleach and water. Dawn dish soap and water works great as well!! I lay these out in the sun to dry. Again, for WOOD blinds, check out the blog post. We go through the whole process. http://www.creativelysouthern.com/2013/02/how-to-clean-blinds.html
how to clean blinds the easy way, cleaning tips, Broken slats can be repaired easily by swapping it out for a perfectly good one on the bottom
Broken slats can be repaired easily by swapping it out for a perfectly good one on the bottom.
how to clean blinds the easy way, cleaning tips, Swap out slats using the same technique used to shorten blinds Pop off the plastic buttons on the bottom of the blinds
Swap out slats using the same technique used to shorten blinds. Pop off the plastic buttons on the bottom of the blinds.
how to clean blinds the easy way, cleaning tips, Remove the pull cords up to the broken slat Replace the slat with one from the bottom
Remove the pull cords up to the broken slat. Replace the slat with one from the bottom.
how to clean blinds the easy way, cleaning tips, Re thread the pull cord through all slats replace plastic buttons on the bottom and presto
Re-thread the pull cord through all slats, replace plastic buttons on the bottom and presto!!
Ellora at Creatively Southern

• Gayle

What's the best way to clean wooden blinds that are too long to fit in the tub?

• Kelly O'Dell Cortes

@Gayle Shower?

• Maria Johnson

@Gayle Power nozzle and foam brush at the Do-it-yourself Car Wash. Hang them from the floor mat hooks.

• Capernius

AMEN Ms. Johnson!! :-) call me lazy or crazy or just a plain ole nut, but that is how I clean ALL my blinds! lol :-)

• Bobbie Littlefield

As I have a home I invested in an inexpensive power washer for outside. One of my best investments for cleaning so many things! Take it outside, power wash it and let it dry on a hot summers day!

• Ethel Edwards

Can you clean faux wood blinds like this?

• Capernius

@Ethel Edwards Yes Ma'am you can. real wood blinds are the only kind that can not be cleaned in this manner.

• Amy

? Good question. No one answered. Probably with some murphys soap? I'm gonna try it. I'll let u know. Lol. (Ur post was Jan. Wonder if u were still waiting for a response? Lol)

• Teresa Saylor Abney

Use a dry swiffer clothe over them while they are hanging, go over each piece. Then use a wet clothe to remove any bug spots etc from them. I do not remove them from the window.

• Jenny

I would be very cautious with the taking down of the plantation shutters. First of all they are very heavy and I think they would warp. I use ammonia in a clean bucket with one of the new micro fabric rags and they comes out clean. I admit I wish I could clean the cords better. I have a husband that does not know how to open and close with the plastic pull:).

• CARLENE

I always lay a sheet on the patio and lay them on the sheet, wet with the hose and take a old dish towel and a bucket with ammonia and water and wash them, rinse them w/ hose and lay them on a dry sheet and hang back up when dry. It is easy. I have to do this with the kitchen blinds as they are too wide for the shower or tub. Been doing this for 20 years. They are aluminum and in great condition.

• Bobbie Littlefield

For the old wooden shutters...do NOT bathe them! A pair of cotton gloves bathed in Murphy's oil cleaner and go to town. Dry them quickly after cleaning so they do not warp. I get X large cotton gloves and wear them over protective rubber gloves so my skin isn't saturated in chemicals. I use them all over the house for cleaning, dusting, etc. Nothing works better than whole hands and fingers! The gloves can be tossed in a wash with the rags and come out clean for reuse. Saves on paper towels and is eco friendly.

• Kelly

To answer the question about cleaning Faux wood blinds like this, in my experience i have had great success and cannot believe I have thought of this sooner!!!!! I am renting right not and after soaking each set of blinds in the bath tub with some warm soapy water and my FAVORITE degreaser I stumbled upon at the Dollar Store. Its called "Awesome" and let me tell you, it is awesome!! Its all natural too!! Has a ton of uses that are listed on the bottle. So I soak my dusty blinds in warm soapy "Awesome" water for about a half hour then drain the dirty water, quick rinse on the blinds then fill up the tub again but this time adding a little bleach to the warm water. Success!!!! Blinds looked like new again! Really makes such a difference in a clean room .

• Sonja Potts Johnson

Can you clean the cloth blinds?

• Nancyann

Yes, but do a test in a VERY small area to check whether the color will be affected. I use carpet cleaner in a small spray bottle (previously life was for liquid hairspray). Not scientific about ratio of cleaner to water, sort of one third cleaner-two thirds water. Most importantly I use a clean dust brush over the entire shade, blow dryer on the cellular shades to blow the dust and bugs out of the cells, then I spray a spot or small area. I use a very old real cloth diaper (old t-shirt would do since I'm not sure one could buy cloth diapers anymore) and do the dab blot routine. When I feel the dirtiest areas are handled, I spray the entire shade and wipe it down. You just can't to the bathtub way because unless you can get every metal piece dried quickly, rust ruins the whole thing. Have a great day!

• Sonja Potts Johnson

Oh thank you so much, I would have ruined them in tub. You answered my other question with the blow-dry er

• Jenny

I use the diapers for a press cloth. You can buy the fabric by the yard at a fabric store.

• Sara Bosworth

You can still buy the old fashioned cloth diapers. Gerber brand still has them. WalMart is a good place to get them.

• Nancy Dyer

My blinds are faux and have turned yellow. If I bleach the blinds, what will that do to the cords? any ideas??

• Sara Bosworth

It just whitens the cords as well.

• Lori

Don't use bleach use hydrogen peroxide and dawn dish soap it with baking soda and let soak it will turn your blinds looking fantabulous!!! And the strings white. Peroxide is an awesome cleaner for everything and not harmful.

• Nancy Dyer

Thank you I will try this.

• Dlw1874857

use oxyclean

• Pat4299980

What is the best way to get mould off slated blinds

• Linda Norton Henderson

Bleach

• Gabrielle Falk

Bleach won't get rid of mould. Bleach just 'bleaches' the mould and doesn't kill it at all. Try perhaps vinegar and water, or perhaps some sort of detergent. If you are getting mould on blinds, is the room well ventilated, because mould won't grow where you have sufficient ventilation. If you use bleach on white blinds, you will discolour them. They will turn a yellowish colour.

• Kathy Jones Adams

We just had our home filled w mold due to a flood and not being dried out - peroxide is what kills mold - full strength -- all i have done is read and become an expert now -- if its wood and anyone has allergies i would throw away and start over. As written earlier you also want the source of the mold. In our home it was deadly to my husband. Best wishes.

• Melanie Smith

Check out the hydroponic shop for a product called Virkon. It will kill just about anything, depending on the concentration used. My furbabies got Ringworm(it's a fungus, not a worm as the name implies), had to use it to kill spores in the house so we wouldn't keep getting re-infected. Trust me after over a month of bathing, or giving antifungal medication to 2 mastiffs and a kitten. It works. The hydroponic store will also carry peroxide from 17 to 29% . Just be very careful with this concentration as you can get seriously hurt if not careful(can blind you if gets in eyes or cause chemical burns in open cuts), wear rubber gloves and safety glasses.

• Juliebd

Thx for the info how to clean blinds. Does anyone know how to replace the pull cord? Previous owners pieced together a few different kinds of string. Argh Thx!

• Des6131105

The blinds in the picture look like wood. Can you use this method on wood blinds? If not what do you recommend as the most effective way of cleaning wood blinds?

• They are faux wood actually. I would not recommend using this method on real wood. However, I would try some Murphy's wood soap if it were me. Not sure if anyone here has tried that before. But in any case would just be careful on saturating the wood so it doesn't warp. Hope that helps!! :)

• Sandra K Salisbury

Ellora, thanks for the tips! FYI, in the Italian language, 'Allora' means 'there' or in slang it is 'so there you go' or 'there you have it'. Cool and applicable name, huh?

• Flora Lape

I have always done my shades this way for yrs

• Marie Zarlingo

You can also try running a hair dryer over the blinds to blow the sust iff. If the behind is like a freasy grimy oily type you can try using a hand held steam cleanser. Don't leave the hit stream on plastic vinyl blinds fur long though. It may melt the slats.

• Linda

I've taken the slats out individually and washed them then replaced them but didn't know how to get the cords clean. Assuming you disconnect them at the top - is that difficult - how do you do it?

• Puk8445340

Do you rinse them after a vinegar & water bath? How much is the ratio of vinegar to water?

• Marie Shirley

No, when I use Vinegar and water to clean windows I never rinse. Vinegar 1 part to Water 4 parts Water.

• Marguerite leonard

I live in a small apartment and have a large sink or bath tub. Just a shower stall. Any ideas? Mine are kinda bad. I need ideas. Thanks.

• Cheryl

May I suggest a large enough tote? Most of us can use an extra one 😊

• Vko7569287

Use a plastic (clean) garbage can to vertically soak the blinds...works great!

• Jeannie Slack

Spray them with the vinegar or bleach solution. Put a white towel under them on the sill. Then let sit for 30 minutes. Wipe if needed. Rotate the blinds from Down to up and repeat.

• Nancy

Try a wallpaper trough. Works wonderful

• Carol Bowman

Plug the shower stall. The stall should have a few inches for a shallow pool. I use powder Spic and Span for my grimy blinds. I do have a tub. They would soak, sometimes they need a little scrubbing. Then I would take them out and hang them on the clothes line.

• Debra

Buy a $10.00 child's swimming pool and do it outside. You can rinse with hosepipe.

• Nabj

I have laid mine out on the driveway and rinsed them with the hose. I used a broom to scrub a couple of tough spots. That was easier on my back.

• Jo Fraser

hang on clothesline and use soft broom with a bucket of soapy water go over both sides and clean then hose off leave to dry and big inside

• Gayle Macdonald

I would caution everyone about using bleach. The strings are so thin that very little bleach will eat them. The water and vinegar bath should work great. If you have greasy blinds a use Dawn solution.

• Paulette

From us in the frozen north, wait until spring! Seriously, I need to this and don't have a tub big enough. A wallpaper tray sounds great for most of them. I guess the picture window one will wait 'til spring.

• Martha

I use denture tablets in tube or tote

• Millie

I have washed mine in the kitchen sink. It is a little messier and takes more time because you can only do half and then turn it to finish.

• Pauline S. Demers

We have oversized blinds, so come spring and hopefully a hot day, we lay tarps down in the driveway, hose them down wash, wash with a bucket of dawn dish detergent and hot water, rinse, hang them up on the clothes lines and the neighbors fence. They sparkle!

• Bea11277599

Can you do this with wood blinds and what the ratio between the water and vinegar? We rent and can't afford to damage them. Thanks

• Margaret Powell

Water and wood do not mix well. Best to clean them with a cleaner made especially for wood. Murphys Oil Soap is a good product.

• Lmc12115175

What is the best way to clean fabric accordion-style blinds? lmcwhir225@aol.com

• Shawna Bailey

I'd hose them down outside.

• Helen Bajorek

Mine were really dirty as we burn wood. I soaked the with soap in the tub over night. Then soaked them in a little bleach with water for three hours. I rinsed them really good. They look better. I do want to paint them. Paint a flower or something on them. I have five of them in our sun room.

• Therese

do you do this to wood blinds?

• Patricia Pfaff

how do you clean fabric coated blinds with mold or mildew on them.

• Shawna Bailey

I would also soak them in a tub with bleach and water

• I agree with Shawna. I have updated the blog post to include tips for wooden and fabric blinds. If they are mold and mildew, you need something that will kill that off. If the bleach and water doesn't work, then I would most definitely replace them all together.

• Karen N

If they were mine, and I had young children or grandbabies I wouldn't take a chance. I'd throw them away as fast as you can blink, wash the windows and woodwork around them with a bleach and water solution. Then go buy new ones along with a dehumidifier to get rid of the extra moisture that's in your house, which is the likely cause of the mold.

• Teresa Woodle

how do you clean wooden blinds?

• Sandy Kelly

Where do you get extra blinds to replace broken ones? I have several sizes of vertical blinds with ends broken off by my brat cat.

• Shawna Bailey

She took hers from the bottom, and made her blinds the tiniest bit shorter.

• Sandy Kelly

Thank you. Didn't think of that.

• Sandy Kelly

Thank you. Didn't think of that.

• Jennie Rallison

Hi, sandy Kelly, these days, almost everything is available online. You can even look around for extra blinds online. I would like to add here help you out here, if you couldn’t find in your locals, you can look for blinds at http://dirtyblindscleaning.blogspot.hk/2015/10/best-ways-to-take-out-water-stains-from.html. I hope this could help you in finding extra blinds.

, Vertical colored blind, Vertical designer blind, Fabric blind
    • Judy Hogsed

You can usually find used blinds at thrift stores. Measure yours before you go and take a tape measure with you so you'll be sure to get the right size.

• Andi Risley

I'm curious how you actually dry them without them getting dirty again. That's been my problem with the drying part. I hung them on my fence and hosed them off, after spraying with cleaner, but they get dirty while drying. I see them on your deck, drying, but don't they just pick up the don't they just pick up the dirt?

• Marsha Milstock

I let them stand upright in the bathtub, to drain off as much as possible. Then I hang them up as is. Can also use an old towel by putting it over the fence first and then put the blind on top of it.

• Wendy Taylor

Can I do this to faux wood blinds that are the color of wood?

• PJ Kelley

How do you clean blinds that are wider than a tub?

• Cindy Ptak

The only method I've ever used is to hang them outdoors and spray them first with a cleaning solution, then gently brush off grime, then spray with water and let them air dry. Time-consuming, to say the least, so I'd someone has a better way, I'm all ears!

• Ray21117702

take them to a diy carwash along with your screens sami jones

• Andi Risley

I'd spray them with something like Simple Green and just let them sit for a while. No need to scrub, then spray with a hose with a good spray attachment. My only problem has been, how to get them dry without them getting dirty again. Outside isn't very clean. 😬

• Klv8023966

I re-hang the blinds and place a towel below to catch any drips.

• Marie Barlow

I do mine in the bath with washing powder then lay on a towel then just put them back up,

• Janine Bartram

The owner of my house laid them on the lawn and use a broom and warm soapy water to wash them, he said it worked great.

• Becky Hand

My thought is to lay them on top of a painters' canvas in the yard to dry. Has anyone tried that?

• Missroselady

I hang them on the hooks hanging from patio where windchimes were. They are perfectly positioned to allow top of blinds to hang.

• Karen N

I lay my blinds on our patio table, minus the umbrella of course. Use a scrub brush and Dawn dish soap in a plastic ice cream bucket to scrub both sides, then hang them over the clothes line making sure the slats are in the closed position and rinse them with the garden hose. Leave hang til dry.

• Andi Risley

• Paula

I hang mine over the porch railing in the sun.

• Lisa Farr

You need to rinse more. Any leftover cleansers will be a dust magnet.

• Tami Stone

I lay them overtop of 2 porch chairs that i put side by side
    • Tami Stone

I've also started changing my horizontal blinds over to vertical blinds. SOOO much easier to keep clean
    • Juli Capo

I lay mine out on old clean towels in the garage, put a box fan to blow on them and they dry pretty fast without spots
    • Nancy Weber

I have read (not personally tried) that dusting your blinds with a clothes dryer sheet (ie. BOUNCE etc) helps keep them dust free for a longer period of time.
    • June Lynn

Alot of good ideas. Thanks for posting. This is one job I really dread!!!
    • Kelly Kellogg

Buy less expensive ones and replace.

• Hot28395343

Hair dryer works well
  • Samaa Essam

But how do you disassemble them in the first place??
    • Doris Schroeder Adamy

Do you mean how are they removed from the window? If they have a decorative valance covering the headrail, it's probably attached with plastic clips, which will slide up and off of the metal headrail. Some are held in place in other ways, so investigate before trying this, so you don't break the clips, which become brittle over time.

When the valance has been removed, you'll need to open the brackets (at the ends) so the blind can be removed. Rotate the slats (so you can see outside) and raise the blinds all the way to the top. Be sure the lift cords are 'locked' to keep the slats from falling down.

To open the brackets, press up on the bottom while pulling the front flap forward. There's usually a little tab that fits into in slot to keep the bracket closed. You'll need to release the tab from the slot so the bracket can be opened. When one bracket is opened, repeat on the other bracket. Flip the front tabs upward as far as you can, and slide the headrail out of the brackets.

When the blinds are clean, slide them back into the brackets and snap the front flap down. Be sure the tabs are securely in the slots. It's a good idea to mark each blind with its location (or number them) to make replacing them easier, in case there are any differences in widths or lengths.

• Jenna

Can you do this with cloth blinds ?
    • Shar

Hysterical!

• Andrea

Do you have any suggestions for cleaning vinyl blinds. I'm ashamed to say it, but my mini blinds look like they're growing hair! (In my defense, I do live in a very dusty house. No matter how much I dust, five minutes later it looks like I haven't!) I know the blinds are relatively cheap to replace but I have a LOT of windows and some are odd sized, so I'd like to try cleaning them first. Thanks!

• Kathy

I take mine down and put them in the bath tub with a de-greaser cleaner added to the tub covering the blinds, drain tub and rinse with the shower, hang on the deck to dry, and they look brand new. I do all the blinds at the same time the water gets grimy but it is only 1 fill and then rinse.

• Tami Stone

I take mind down & lay'm out flat on the outside porch. Grab my Clorox Clean Up, spray'm down with it, but don't need to smother them. Use a soft bristled broom or I used my car washing brush with a long handle. Brush over side one, flip'm over to do other side. Find something to lay'm across so you can rinse'm off with cold water (I use the hose). Leave'm outside to drip-dry. .... Sounds long, but really takes little time, effort & energy.
    • Andrea

Thanks for your suggestion, Tami. Unfortunately, I don't have a porch. Maybe I could use the driveway since it's paved? Would it be safe to use the Clorox Clean Up on black blinds?
    • Melonnie Johnson

I would not use any clorox product on black blinds. I would put them in a tub or hot water and dawn dishwashing liquid, the original blue one. The blinds may need to soak awhile, but you should be able to lightly brush them and then rinse and hang to air dry. You might even want to dry them with a microfiber cloth so they do not water spot. Especially if your area is known to have hard water.
    • Akt346863

Scrubbing bubbles work great! Spray, then wipe with a damp microfiber towel. Voila!!!
    • Joyce Scott

Scrubbing bubbles and Dawn dish detergent both work great, as above. Even though I always keep it in my arsenal of cleaning products for other uses, I wouldn't think using Clorox Clean Up would be good for used on the cords of the blinds and possibly some of the hardware. Shades do not need to be unassembled before cleaning in the bathtub; you simply lay them in a tub of water after spraying them with whatever cleaner you choose and let them soak until dust and soil can be brushed lightly before rinsing; if you do the blinds about every 6 months, they can just be rinsed, without brushing. I let them soak a few minutes as I am cleaning the windows in each room. The process is really easy and does not require big chucks of time. I also
    • Peggy Robinsn

I used to take mine to the car wash in the back of my pickup

• Susan Holt

Hum..I wonder if you sprayed a light coat of rainx after blinds are cleaned and dryed if that might make dust easy to dust off.

• Susan Holt

Humm, after cleaning and drying blinds,do you think a light spray of rainx or carwax spray might make dust less able to settle on blinds??

• Brenda

Hello Andrea. I have been using Greased Lightning for years and it is much cheaper at Family Dollar than Home Depot. I use my bathtub. Plug in, blinds in tub and spray all over with the GL. Add hot water and let soak 15 minutes. Then I wipe with a old washcloth, drain the tub and shower them down. Take outside wrapped in a few old towels and hang over a clothes line covered porch rail. They will look brand new. :D DO NOT USE on painted metal blinds ever.

• Shirley Packard

I hang mine ovler the clothes line and spray with Dow foaming bathroom cleaner and rub with a soft dusting brush and hose off with water. On anon windy day.

• Viv

As to your problem of excessive dust; get your furnace vents cleaned. It REALLY helps! :)

• I find the bathtub to be the perfect solution. Fill it up about a third of the way. Add your favorite cleaner. Take your blinds down, open and lay them in the water. Swish them back and forth and then let them soak for a while. Make sure the slats are separated from each other. When you think they are clean lift them up and hold until they drain then just hang them back up to finish drying. You can use a clean rag to remove any left over dirt. You can soak several at a time for a quick easy. Job on your blinds.

• Marie Zarlingo

Hello Andrea. I have been a housekeeper for years. I found that blowing the dust off of vinyl blinds with a blow dryer is much easier and faster. You can also use a hair dryer on fabric blinds too.

• Sara cariello

how can you clean the strings holding the slats together and the pull strings

• Lora Taylor Hyatt

My vinyl blinds, I have 2 heavy duty command hooks up high on the long wall of my tub wall. Hang them up spray them down on both sides with Clorox cleanup or Awesome cleaner. Let them sit for a few minutes then spray them down with my hand shower nozzle with very warm water. Let them sit and drip for a little bit then hang them back up to dry.

• Sadiemarie1230

I take the blinds outside on the carport or driveway. A deck. Spray them with bleach. Let it soak a few minutes. Stings and all will be pretty and white again. The sun will dry them. But it's good if you have something to hang them on to dry faster. Take out as many as you want to wash. My friend has a smoking room. Has lots of blinds. The tar comes right off. I even put pine sold on a rag to wipe them. Room smells good.. That is if your wiping them. Keep them dusted with a feather duster.

• Shar

Yes; easy-peasy - no brainer. Can't soak blinds too long with too much bleach … could rot the fabric "strings." Got to be careful that the blinds don't dry with water spots on them.