Hamtil Construction LLC
Hamtil Construction LLC
  • Saint Louis, MO

How We're Making Mom's Remodel Dreams Come True!

This is - but it's one that has been in the works for many, many years. Around Mother's Day 2012, Armstrong Cabinets held a "Gifted Moms" sweepstakes, and asked participants to enter a photo of Mom's ugly kitchen, and why she is deserving to win $10,000 of cabinets. I knew that my Mom was a perfect fit, so we entered, and won the prize!
As a parent myself, I understand how challenging it was for Mom to raise 6 children. Even despite the demands of parenting, she always made time to participate in the community, at church, and in service projects. Giving freely to love and serve others is her story! I knew that this would be a great surprise to win for her, and that she deserved it. She is counted as a blessing in the lives of so many family and friends!
35 years ago, after living in their home for 5 years, my parents installed a new countertop and a stylish Armstrong Solarian floor. That was the last time the kitchen was updated and was long overdue for a remodel! Unfortunately, the longtime plans for my Dad to remodel the house were curtailed in 2007 after his retirement. Encountering health issues and a major injury from a ladder fall caused the project to go on hold indefinitely.

Thankfully, after winning the Armstrong Sweepstakes, the plans were resurrected, and the project is underway! It's a real family affair, with the work being completed by Hamtil Construction, which is operated by myself and my brother David. It has been fun to bring Mom's dreams to life, and she keeps saying "I just can't believe this is my kitchen!"

If you like, check us out on Facebook and Twitter for more updates along the way!
Twitter:
Mom and Dad posing the day the kitchen demo started. Note the bungee cord which holds the oven closed.
Dated and very lived in, a family of 8 spent many evenings eating together in this kitchen.
Exterior demo of the brick to allow for a 3' cantilevered "bump out" of the kitchen.
Temporary shoring holds up the 16' wide section of roof, and the new wall is shown 3' out.
Part of many kitchen remodel projects, the electrical service was upgraded. Most modern kitchens require 8-12 circuits, and this dangerous Federal Pacific panel was upgraded for more space and safety.
The flooring contained asbestos and needed  remediation. A good reason to always test for presence of hazardous materials prior to demo.
The flooring contained asbestos and needed remediation. A good reason to always test for presence of hazardous materials prior to demo.
The first cabinet going up!
The first cabinet going up!
A couple of junior inspectors made an impromptu visit to see the progress.
Mom gives 2 "likes" for her countertop template, as the sink layout is discussed by the team.
February 2013: The "bump out" is complete, and the deck portion is underway. Snow is just beginning to fall in this photo.
Mom's first batch of cupcakes!  This means progress for sure!
Mom's first batch of cupcakes! This means progress for sure!
Almost complete kitchen. Still waiting for tile backsplash, knobs/ pulls, and undercabinet trim.

• Wanda sinnema

so very happy for you.... I still have the solariun sundial floor in orange-yellow and the formica in tangerine.... since I moved in 25 yrs ago-- a project never done- now I'm downsizing...... ENJOY your new kitchen for me too....

• Dayna Barnes

Wow, congrats to both of you. I bet she loves it almost as much as she loves you for doing it :)