Singer Sewing Machine.

This was my Mums machine. I wanted to try make it happy again. I revamp it in time for her anniversary which was on July 24th. I did manage to finish in time.
Now I don't know what is happening, each time I try to put a caption on the photos it would seem I am posting. I hope I'm not because I wouldn't like to appear as if I don't have much to post. So here I go again, fingers crossed.
Just out of the shed.
Rusty and dirty.
This box has always been in the drawer
It is very rusted
The hinges were okay.
I removed the machine from the stand to be able to clean and sand it. The frame was very wobbly it needed to be tightened and steadied.
I sanded cleaned and sanded some more.
The stand was very rusted and unsteady.
Machine on the floor to get a good look. At i
The wobbly stand after sanding
It cleaned up well after sanding and varnish
I have begun to paint with black metal paint
Varnished and sealed
Beginning to look happy at last.
I used lots of elbow grease and a scourer pad
Pride of place
I was so happy with how it came back to life. I didn't want to change it I just wanted to bring it back to its former glory.
I know my Mum would be looking down on me with a smile. She always got great laughs when I would tell her how many things I wanted to revamp.

13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!

• Ada Garcia

There are two different bases shown on pictures, the frog and the straight legged. Did you repurpose or rebutify both?

, The frog, Straight legs Don t know if it has a name
    • Sandra Crosbie

Hi Ada. Neither of the two bases you are asking about are mine. I don't know where the photos came from, but they are definitely nothing to do with my machine. Sorry I can't answer your question.

• Midalia Rivera

Does the machine actually work?
    • Andy Driemeier

I have one my mother had, bless her heart she is gone, it was her mother's and it was always taken care of, you know even me being a man I can sew up my hunting clothes with the machine because it's speed are generated is in the foot pedal. I can go slow or fast. The best machine ever build this is my opinion. I like the restoration you done to bad it does not work.
  • Jacqi Murphy

What did you use to clean the machine? I have three antique machines but am very nervous about cleaning them and disrupting the decals (although they are all intact). Your machine/cabinet are absolutely stunning! I'm sure your Mother is thrilled!! Thank you:)

• Sandra Crosbie

I just used a normal nylon scouring pad, and a cleaning cream from Cif. It is a household cleaning cream with little gritty bits in it to remove grime from lots of surfaces, like bathroom, kitchen, plastic garden furniture, pvc window frames ect. I decided to use this product because of the condition of the machine. No matter if it scratched it, it was going to look better than the condition it was in.

When I had it all cleaned up I used baby oil on a cloth to shine it and make it look better.

I was very careful cleaning around the decals to try keep them intact.

It is testament to the quality of the workmanship that went into making these machines in the past, that makes them so durable to years of use ,or neglect.

I always loved this machine, I would sit for hours watching my Mum sewing. Until I was old enough to sew by myself.

I was going to try have it repaired so it would "actually" sew again, but I don't want any stranger to " remove the feeling" that my Mum and myself were the last 2 people to use it. So I decided not to have it repaired.

It is in the room I sew in now. I can still feel her presence each time I use the tailor chalk that she used I still have it and use it.

• Vona Giese

So glad you restored it, was afraid to look past the first photo thinking I would find only pieces used for something else

• Lesa D

Amazing! I also have a very old one I’ve been wanting to restore. I don’t know if it will work or not but I still want to restore it mostly for the memories of my Grandma using hers to sew everything when her and my Pap had 17 children at home! The machine is so dirty it almost looks like it was in a fire so I’m hoping it cleans up as well as yours did. I’m anxious to look up the information on my machine as well. Thanks for your post!

• Sandra Crosbie

Hiya Lesa. I found the information about machine by going to the Singer website and putting the number from my machine into the appropriate box. I discovered it was made in 1956. There was only 5000 machines made that year in Singer.

There is a metal tag on the front of the machine. This is the number that gives you the information about your machine. Hopefully this Will help your research. Go give your machine a facelift. You will be so glad you've Happyfied it.