Rachelle F
Rachelle F
  • Altus, OK

Using Wallpaper as a Removable Statement Art Piece

$50

Design Dilemma- you update one part of your room and then you have to update all of it. It's a serious problem people!! Case in point- my new super awesome patterned wall panels! I was lucky enough to win a roll of wallcovering from 2Modern several months ago. Since then I've thought about how I would use it in our home. I couldn't hang it the traditional way since we are only renting and can't put anything
using wallpaper as a removable statement art piece, bedroom ideas, wall decor
The ones I bought are rated for 9lbs- perfect for the wood moulding I wanted for framing out my wallcovering. It was quick, easy, and non-messy. For this project I first measured out how big I wanted my panels- then figured how much trim I would need and how long they should be. I bought MDF moulding already primed (the cheapest kind I could find!) The super friendly guys at our local hardware store cut them to size for me- angle cuts and all. Yay!!
Then I got started physically measuring out the space on the wall where they would go.
Next step was hanging the wallcovering. I used the Command Strips on the top and bottom corners of each panel of wallcovering. To keep the panels from curling away from the wall I put one Command Strip in the center of each panel on either side. Then trimmed the bottom to my desired length.
Finally the trim. Again I used Command Strips on the edges, started at the top and worked my way down.
As always my helper was nearby- so easy a child can do it! (J/K not really...)
After the trip was hung I was all finished! Some things I learned while doing this project: Make sure the Command Strips are stuck to the wall and not the wallcovering while hanging the trim. Clean any dust from the wood trim before sticking your strips, otherwise they will not hold. Make sure to press firmly down for the full 30 seconds the package recommends to ensure a secure hold.
The panels and trim have been up for over a year now and nothing has come crashing down on our heads in the middle of the night.
Here are some shots of the room all pulled together! (still working on a foorboard obviously...)
Rachelle F

• Christine

Do you think this would work with fabric?

• Bonnie Kean

I'm a pro painter for 44 years. I would think you could do fabric but it would take more strips. She just said the corners and middle. Fabric could "droop" more than wallpaper. You'd just have to do a "test". :) I love what she did here though! Great idea!

• Kelley P Devereaux

Yes!

• Bleach

Love this!

*I bet if you hung a smaller space fabric would work. Something like a headboard could be do-able I bet.

• R Walter

You could stretch fabric on a frame (canvas frames) might have to use a muslin or other material backer, then attach any frame work from the under side with finishing nails, You would be able to make the frame any size you want, use thinner wood the depth of your finishing mill work and it should hang nicely.

• Lee smith

If u can find liquid starch, you dip fabric in it, will adhere to wall, great for apartments where you can't paint and don't want to put nails. Removes easily when u want.

• Christine

Thanks for your responses! I appreciate your input.

• Anne

Do the frame bundles come mitered?

• Amy Rohde

Very creative! How do these strips work to take off? The ones I have must be pulled to release so when they are under wood molding for instance, how do you get them off? Your paper is so perfectly placed and symmetrical! Thanks for sharing!

• Richard Bennett

I believe the strips used are like hook and latch where you press one part into the other. After removing the print you are able to remove the part on the wall. I have my Dyson vacuum charging unit attached to a wall in this manner so it works well.

• Gma

My own expierence — I just used a fairly small one that left a hole when removed -

your deco looks great though!

• Cra21707298

They are the picture hanging command strips, kind of like velcro.

• Amy Rohde

Thank you all! This would have saved me when I put a quilted Christmas gift on the wall one year but took half the wall off when I removed it LOL! I was able to 'save' the wall by just doing a decorative painting technique and trimmed molding to create a panel but that wouldn't have been an option if I was a renter.

• Susan Saxon

Do you think these command strips would work over an existing wall border? I would leave the existing one and adhere the new one over it using command strips. Just curious. I guess I could always test a small area To ensure it doesn’t appear too bulky.

• Kim

I think it would work. But I like your plan to test first.

• Sto29846011

Pattreedrealtor_BE NICE!!!!!!

no need to give an opinion if it adds nothing to the discussion

these folks take time to share their ideas in hopes of someone else learning something!

• Biancasmom1

i love it. I have the same issue and couldn't figure out what to do.

• Susan Saxon

• Arjumand farhana

i am sure it would! Just make sure to check the weight rating before hand.

• Susan

they don't hold much weight - so be sure to compensate by using MORE than you think you'll need.

• Janiel Phillips

I once put a command strip on a wallpaper join. Bad move. The paper tore when I later removed the strip.

• Jeanne Martin

Depending on how much you need to cover using Command velcro strips could get rather pricey!

• Kathy Moriguchi

They will hold the weight if you look at the weight listed on the package. I have a heavy picture frame that I hung on the wall and I used the command strips to hang it about 5 years ago maybe longer and is still hanging has never fallen. Command strips are great to use just check the weight ratio on package to see which one you need.

• Mary M

I live this! I've read it twice and looked at the questions. I'm a little simple on this for some reason. You did not get the wallpaper or use wallpaper glue, correct? The command strips and just get it real smooth?

• Janice

The wall paper is only adhered to the wall by Command adhesive at each corner and I believe she said at the middle of the bottom. The entire wall paper is not glued to the wall other than those 5 places. Same with the trim pieces, that's why she said to insure the rim boards are adhered to the wall not just the wall paper.

• Tjc24543289

From what I read in the article, yes she only used the strips to hold the wallpaper

• Ida Torres

Very classy wall decoration, love it! Since you do not mention what type of material is your wall, I ask if this project can work on a cement wall?

• Carol Armstrong

I have used command strips but after awhile my strips fall. I think the wall has to be very smooth very clean of any grease or grime and give the strip time to adhere before using. I would think paper products when stay on longer than heavier products.

• Janice

If the cement wall is even a little damp I would check with 3M to see if this will hold or if you need a different option. I have had these strips and what they are holding fall off after a couple of years even on regular walls and inside closet doors.

• Gary Harlow

Yes

• Niv26013765

I accidentally cleaned a plastic cover with acetone and it created a cloudy breakdown. Is there anyway to regain clarity?

• Wanda

I would say no. Acetone melts plastic, think artificial nails. Alcohol will clean it with no problems.

• Irene Gronewald

try "goo gone"....or "outlast" by armoral...in auto section, it clears headlights...think it is around 4.00, i got mine at thrift store 2.00..good luck

• Jo-Ann

How many command strips did you put on the mouldings? Didn't they leave a space between the wall and mouldings?

• R Walter

It will leave the depth of the two strips at the application points. Should not be noticeable straight on but will leave a small gap on the side view.

Also, you could make the frame on the floor using an air nailer and wood glue then mount your strips to the frame and attach it to the wall. This will allow you to fill in the gas on the mitered corners with wood putty then sand and paint to make the frame corners appear finished.

• Jo-Ann

Thank you.

• Valerie Humphries

JoAnn, it doesn't appear to be any bigger gap that if it was a actual picture hanging there. I think it is a great idea for renters to dress up their homes!

• Doris Storlien

Didn’t the paper indicat the repeat pattern?? This is an awesome idea, one that I may try over the old paneling, but the pattern didn’t match on one panel.

But having hung wallpaper many times, it is something not everyone would notice. I do like the idea

• Air17086788

Will command strips work on concrete blocks?

• Debra McMenamin

At the moment I have an art piece hanging up on the brick wall (exterior wall of our house) of our screened in porch. It’s been hanging nicely for four weeks. I wasn’t sure if it would work but it has. I’m assuming that it would on concrete. Only time will tell for mine I suppose!

• Mar26826625

You can use a hot glue gun to attach frame to concrete or brick. It holds well. It will “pop” off when you want to move. It won’t leave marks and will pull off the frame.

• Ricky mudd

that question is funniernhell

• Jeanne Martin

I thought you meant to hang bricks! Lol! Doh!

• Acu30598070

How do you get them to stick ? I’ve broken to many hangings because the strips don’t hold ? What’s wrong ?

• I'm suspecting you didn't hold it for the whole 30 seconds.

• Janice

Maybe you didn't read the weight that the Command holds. That makes a huge difference. Another thought was the wall flat of have a slight bumpy surface? The wall surface Needs to be very flat.

• Linda Creates

I have found out that the ONLY way to get them to work for me without the dreaded crash is to use the strips for twice the weight... at least... that would be required. Plus about double the amount of strips so you have A LOT of surface covered. Then clean and make sure both surfaces are dry, make sure you press and hold and follow the directions. And pray. a lot..

• Nancy Wilson

I have found that these strips are not good on anything but wallboard. I have lost the glass in many a picture, art work has nearly been demolished and my vocabulary has been reduced to four to six letter words. If you live in an apartment or someplace your landlord won't allow traditional hanging implements (screws, nails) then do what one of the other responders said....double up and pray. Hey, I did hang a cloth on my wall and that has been up almost a year! And don't forget to pray....the essential step in hanging anything by any method!

• Donna Dimmery Keese

I’ve not had much luck with the plain strips but great success with the Velcro ones. I used them for big letters on the wall, pictures, plates, etc. just make sure you put both pieces on the back of what you want to stick and then attach. Works great!

• Air17086788

Did you do any prep work to the bricks before applying the command strip?

• Nedra Pennock Porter

What is a foorboard!!

• Merrelljoyce

Footboard?

• Loretta

It goes on the bottom of the bed

• Sam22795143

One of thr planks of your woodfloor

• Phoebe Dollar

I just thought she meant foot board. For the bed.

• Queenbee

Bc u covered the dilemma of the wall situation I'm sure u can figure out something for a foot board. I myself would put a different bedskirt on and put or repurpose a table/bench or something and put it at the foot of the bed instead. Then u still have room to kick ur feet off the bed, if ur tall like me and u have a place to sit while putting shoes or whatever on. U could even put an extra blanket/throw on it. Just an idea. I love thinking outside the box.U could even take a vertical bookshelf and turn it horizontally and then u have a seat and extra storage space...and who doesn't need more storage! Lol

• Csd31807650

?

• Akt346863

Duh, foot board, look at your keyboard folks!!!

• Khalda Shaheen

I am new in NY. Will you please tell me where to get wall paper.? Good idea .

• Debbie Gibbs

Do they make command strips strong enough to hold a mirror on a door?

• Linda Yocham Patrick

Debbie, Dollar General has some very lightweight mirrors. We got one for our grand daughter, and my husband hung it with command strips. Just hang one on the top and bottom and one on each side.

• Solena GV

you can buy stronger command strips that support 20 pounds ,in Homedepot .

• Patricia King-Weatherman

Be very careful! I have had many problems with this product. It will stick very well to painted walls however; it pulled off the paint and primer. This was very good paint and primer. Not cheap stuff. This occurred throughout my house with different brands over a span of time. Also, I thoroughly cleaned a bedroom chest placed the heaviest weight they carry. Followed to the letter their instructions and even waited 48hrs before placing anything on them. They held for a few months. A couple stayed and have never fallen off. But, my problem with this is consistency and reliability. So be careful with something you don't want to break. I had only empty small to medium pocketbooks so nothing broke. But, it should not have fallen!

• Leslie Troxell Martinez

I have plastered walls. I cannot get command hooks to stay because of the bumpy walls. Any suggestions?

• Patricia King-Weatherman

I had the same problem. And although I put it on my painted walls that are smooth it peeled off the paint all the way down to the primer and pulled off most of the primer. Down to the dry wall. Unfortunately, I do not believe that this product is good for that if you are in a rented apartment they allow you so many holes in the wall. Be careful using this product because it will damage the paint on the walls.

One idea is to getLong would strip. Put nails maybe every 14". Should allow you to only have to use for maybe. Paint it the color of your wall or a highlight color and attach what you want to that

• Debbie Paul Child

I had that problem as well. But when I tried wiping that area with alcohol, they stayed on better. If the command strip takes off the paint like it did to Patricia, its most likely wasn't taken off the right way. Ive never had that problem. If you do use nails remember that the studs on walls on the inside walls is 24" on center and outside walls is 16" on center. I hope this helps.

• Cynthia Jordan

I've taken command strips off the wall according to the instructions on the package and I never had a problem either.

• Gail Stafford

You said something about head board. Why not turn them and use as headboard? Good idea yes!!