Erica Glasener
Erica Glasener
  • Atlanta, GA
Asked on Dec 1, 2011

Hometalk members in Florida, I need an ID for this plants, friends from Pensacola sent me the photo and I don't

JuliaDONNA JOHazel
+21

recognize the plant. Thanks.
q hometalk members in florida i need an id for this plants friends from pensacola, gardening
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

interesting, did they mention if it blooms?

• 3po3

Can't say I've ever really seen anything like it. Then again, I am a long way from Pensacola.

• Amy T

The photo looks like a

• Amy T

The photo looks like a plant commonly known as "devil's backbone". I hope that helps. I think they are fairly drought tolerant.

• Amy T

• Amy T

The photo looks like a

• Yes, one of the common names is Devil's Backbone but it is in the genus Euphorbia and has a white milky sap.

• Erica Glasener

thanks all, Euphorbia makes sense, would love to know which one.

• Erica Glasener

I need a clarification about a response would like to know the species of Euphorbia

Pedilanthus tithymaloides, Erica, a distant relative of the poinsettia.

• Erica Glasener

Thanks Doug. Do you grow this plant? Can you tell me about it?

I have seen it in local nurseries, Erica, but I haven't grown it. There's a variegated form as well. Wants filtered light or light shade. Should be fine in the pot you have and "bloom" if happy.

• Lillian Santana

@Douglas Hunt Douglas, what is the name of the plant? I am moving back to Mississippi where there actually is shade and would like to try it.

• Erica Glasener

Thanks Douglas!

My pleasure, Erica.

• Elinor C

Erica, I have one that is the Great Grand Daughter of the original plant my mother picked up in a trash pile on a Florida vacation. I have kept it going by cuttings rooting it in water and then planting in a LARGE pot when well rooted. It is very temperature sensitive. I put it outside in the summer but if the temp drops below 50 degrees before I bring it in the leaves will fall off. I water it lightly during the winter in the house and keep it in a bright window. We always referred to it as Devil's Backbone. The sap will burn your eyes so be very careful not to get it on your hands. Mine is varigated and once when I let it get really pot bound it had small reddish blooms under the bends in the stem. The one I have now is about 3 feet tall!!

• Lindy Hall

Quite toxic... per Wikipedia.

• Hazel

I knew it as an old fashioned plant known as Devil's Backbone from the cacti family. It can also grow inside the house.

• Shirley Turner Wishard

That is Rosemary.It h

• Shirley Turner Wishard

It has a great aroma and is wonderful for cooking.

• Hazel

Shirley Turner, That is DEFINITELY not Rosemary!

• DONNA JO

It is Devil's backbone, but the sap is poisonous & depending on your allergies, could cause a bad rash. Definitely do not use in cooking. It turns pink in the summer depending on how much light it gets. I had one in a garbage can that grew over 5 ft tall.

• Julia

Donna & Hazel, you are both correct! This is definitely Devil's Backbone. It has been a long time, but if memory serves me correctly, it is easily propagated. Ladies, do you know?