Little City Garden - Before and Afters

This was my first garden. I took very few "before" pictures beause I didn't know what I was doing for the first few years and I never thought it would amount to anything.
To get started, I just started planting plants I liked and paid attention to what did and did not work. Gradually, with a lot of patience and some heartbreak/big mistakes, it became something I found quite beautiful.
What was once a bare lot in a new city subdivision transformed into a magnet for all sorts of birds and other wildlife. In the end, when I had used up all of the other planting space, I removed the entire front yard (the only full sun area) and filled it in with flowering perennials, vegetables, berries, and dwarf fruit trees.
I think the best way to become a gardener is to just do it and let the garden tell you what will work. I hope you enoy my little city garden.
Year 4: The garden gradually took over the entire long, narrow front yard.
Year 4: I cannot resist flowering perennials. Hidden amongst them are all sorts of vegetables, berries, and a few dwarf fruit trees.
year 3: I put a little pond in a raised bed right by the front door. The soil there was very poor so this was a good alternative.
Year 4: I put my raised beds in the front yard where the sun shines.
Year 3: Impatient for the blue delphiniums to bloom, I made my own with bottles.
Year 4: I leave the pansies in the fall to go to seed and they come back on their own in the spring.
Year 1: I don't have many photos of the side garden at the beginning because I never thought it would amount to anything.
Year 2: Here's the same side garden area two years later. I fell inn love with daisies which loved the clay soil.
Year 2: This is the arbour before I planted the butternut vine.
Year 4: This is the butternut vine area just two years later. The delphiniums got so tall they spilled over in the rain.
Year 2: I started putting my broken tools and mirrors on the fence to create a fun focal point above the orange lilies.
Year 4: The old tools were replaced by some garden art and a pink weigela adds colour when the orange lilies are not in bloom.
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

• Sylvia

so pretty and inspiring! I know that when I try for the first time not to give up. Thanks!

• Adventures In Junking

Oh Melissa! You are such an inspiration! (listen, I'm coming to Southwestern Ontario for a week or so around Thanksgiving - my brother lives in Wallaceburg, but we're doing some toodling around tracing family history (my great great grandparents and great grandparents are from there, and my grandmother was born there). I know the garden will be finished by then, but I would love to meet you face to face if you're around.