Mary
Mary
  • Tutorial Team
  • Maple Park, IL

Pretty in Purple - #SPiTChallenge

$5.00

This vase was pretty the way it was. However I knew it could be gorgeous!
pretty in purple spitchallenge, crafts
First I applied a coat of Mod Podge and let it dry over night. It dries clear when dry.
pretty in purple spitchallenge, crafts
Next I gathered my
If you haven't tried it you should!
It's a stain/glaze in one...you can use it on just about everything! It's kind of like finger paints for grown ups!
pretty in purple spitchallenge, crafts
I used two different colors
First color Purple Hill Majesty
First color Purple Hill Majesty
2nd color
2nd color Zia Teal
2nd color Zia Teal
Add color until you reach desired coverage
pretty in purple spitchallenge, crafts
Next I placed a grocery bag over the vase and mushed it...yes I know mushed isn't really a word but no other way to describe it! :)
pretty in purple spitchallenge, crafts
Ta Da!!!
After removing plastic bag
After removing plastic bag
Let dry ... drying time is dependent on temperature.
pretty in purple spitchallenge, crafts
Apply sealer and she is pretty in Purple :)
Inside view
Inside view

www.unicornspit.Com

• Chris Leckington

I love this idea. Where did you pick up the container? I will be on the lookout for one. I hope I find one soon. This project will be saved until I find one. Would be extra cool for Christmas decorating?

• Mary

@Chris Leckington Hi! I grabbed it at a garage sale! It would be really cool for Christmas decorating! You could do it with any old vase :) Have a great day!

• Chris Leckington

Hey Mary where can I get the colored paints you used? Does Michael's carry it? Or is there an online store?

• Mary

Hi Chris...checkout their website.... www.unicornspit.com :)

• Geraldine Chislett

Is it av available in Canada????? It is so appealing, I just want to see what I can do with it, besides rolling around in it....joking...or am I ????

• Denise

What kind of sealer is best? Can you wash it in the dishwasher?

• Mary

Denise I used spray laquere....I haven't ran it through the dishwasher but I habe handwashed with no issue :)

• Vickie

Not done this project but I am pretty sure NO DISHWASHER. The soap is caustic, water tooooo hot. My aunt did that to a purchased vase all the color came off.

• Cds2518122

What is the reason for the ModPodge?

• Mary

Hi! The ModPodge is used for an adherent for the SPiT! :)

• Nancy

I would love to try the Unicorn Spit, but, it is so expensive. Do you know if there is anything comparable to it. Less expensive?

• Mary

Hi Nancy! Here is a brand new thing ... http://eclecticproducts.com/products/unicorn-spit-gel-stain.html" target="_blank">http://eclecticproducts.com/products/unicorn-... They now have 4oz bottles available ... I don't know about any other stain/glaze that is as user friendly, vibrant or easy to work with - I am sorry ... the one thing to keep in mind is that you can dilute SPiT so that you are actually getting double the amount for the price :)

• Moon

For a glass project, I prefer Pebeo glass paint, which is permanent and can be baked on to the project. I accidentally got some on a mug while doing a project, and figured the dishwasher would take it off because I hadn't cured and baked it, but the heat of the dishwasher baked it on and now I have a mug with permanent purple spots. The reason I bring it up is because I would have concerns that a finish applied to the surface that has to be sealed might not hold up if the project you want to apply it to is for use with water, such as putting fresh flowers in a vase. I would be concerned that the mod podge and stain wouldn't hold up to something that would need to be washed from time to time. Pebeo is permanent when it's baked, and apparently even when it isn't. Just my 2 cents. http://en.pebeo.com/Creative-leisure/Painting-on-Glass/Vitrea-160

• Pat Maxey

Hey Mary where did you find the holder that you put the vase in. Beautiful job I liked the way the vains in the paints lined up with paints. M y colors also thanks for sharing this.

• Mary

Hi Pat! I actually purchased the vase as it was :) Thank you for your kind words!

• Reb32418902

So you give us sites to find the products you recommend. When I go to those sites they do not show an opportunity to buy them. Can you tell me how to purchase them?
    • Mary

Hi Rebekah...sorry there have been changes to the company since this project was posted...try this link for a retailer
      You can now also find in amazon.

• Reb32418902

so that site still doesn't show the product you recommend. It's the regular spit glaze product. You also mentioned a product you baked. Plus you said your product was more affordable than the regular spit products. They want $200 for their product. Hardly affordable. Also I want my items to be waterproof so they can be washed ect. I really would like to start doing some of these projects but I cannot afford the product.
    • Sande

I bought an entire set (11 colors) in 4 oz. on Amazon for under $80.00. Literally a few drops go a long way. Plus when diluted with water it will last forever!!

i love this stuff❤️

• Brian R Brislenn

Could I use this technique to tint the inside of a glass jar? Would I still need sealer, or can I let it set at room temp or a warm oven?

• Mary

Hi - I would advise a sealer - it is a water based product so not sure how it would hold up without a sealer and any outside elements ...

• Reb32418902

Yes I will '
  • Donna Blake

Yes I will definitely try this as soon as I go to the store have a vase almost exactly like this and my office objects are purple. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope mine turns out as nice as yours did. Great job!!!