How to refinish a melamine cabinet?

Rosie WalshJanet Pizaro

The finish on my kitchen hutch is melamine and it is coming off in small square chunks, can I scrape off this finish to redo or is there a chemical I should use, paint remover etc.?

You do not have to strip the old finish.Before you try to refinish the piece, use a wood filler for laminate finishes.Clean the surface first with soap and water, allow to dry.Use a primer(kilz) is a recommended brand.Again let completely dry and apply melamine paint.Apply a non-yellowing polyurethane coating for melamine.

• Rosie Walsh

I fear that just filling the chipped off pieces will not correct the problem, that the chipping may continue. Hoping you get more responses.

@Rosie Walsh Why would you say that? If the are filled in correctly theres no reason for more chipping once the piece gets refinished properly.

• Rosie Walsh

Janet, wish we could see close-up pics of the damage. My thinking is that the damage could be caused by glue failure beneath the melanine. I don't know if patching the now existing damage will solve this potential problem.

@Rosie Walsh I say give it a try anyway.I researched this and did not find any potential problems.