Patty S
Patty S
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI

The Cutest DIY Garden Shed Ever.

$3500
5 Weeks

My hubby and son built a potting shed as a fun project this summer. They did the whole thing from scratch, even made their own trusses. It is a "Salt box" style.
The potting shed my hubby and son built.
They started of course with the floor. It is an 8x12 shed.
First stud wall assembled on the floor.
First stud wall assembled on the floor.
And then assembled the stud walls.
Standing the first stud wall.
Standing the first stud wall.
Continuing to build stud walls going from left to right and finally the front wall.
The back wall now on.
The back wall now on.
Standing the right side wall
Standing the right side wall
Time for the front wall.
Standing the front wall.
Standing the front wall.
They built all of the trusses before even starting the walls and now is time to put them up.
Finally the trusses.
Finally the trusses.
Taking shape.
Taking shape.
Next is to enclose the building with plywood and install the windows.
Installing the windows.
Installing the windows.
Next was the roof sheeting, tarpaper and the roofing shingles.
Roof is on and painted plywood for protection
Siding, trim and window box is done.
Siding, trim and window box is done.
The doors are built and going on.
Double doors for tractor entrance.
Double doors for tractor entrance.
Dutch door done and painted and the two master builders proud of their accomplishment.
Hubby Bob and Son Mike
Hubby Bob and Son Mike
Inside paneled and potting bench all done. Ready for next spring's gardening activities.
My little corner of the world...
My little corner of the world...
Landscaping done by me and loving my little "Doll house" gardening shed.
Finished!
Finished!

• Crave

How much did you spend on this project?

• Ernest

Where did you get the two doors at the end

• Clou77

Will you add electricity? If so, do you have any idea what the cost would be? I love it! You did a great job! I'd love to have one to use as an art studio! Enjoy!

• Judy Holcomb

FYI: Make sure you check city/county building codes before adding electricity-I made the mistake of purchasing a large barn building to use on a part of our property as a sewing/crafting room and found out our city code wouldn't allow us to run electricity from our home (which was approx. 300 yards from the building) - we would have to add a separate pole and meter to be able to have power unless went to solar panels (which would have been a lot higher and more beaurocratic red tape to get approved) - We could have run an underground line to; but another problem was the building would have to be on a permanent foundation (I didn't want to do that in case I wanted to move it later--would also raise property taxes being on perm foundation) - ended up using my dream project as an outdoor storage shed (sigh) - lessons learned the hard way. (I was going to use this as a jumping off point for a Tiny House project but City Codes ruled that out, too) Whatever happened to having freedom to do what you wanted to in your own house or property? Oh, well, I guess that's the price we pay for modern conveniences of living in town.