DIY Golden Acorns "GATHER" Sign

When my mom had tree trimming done in her yard, I asked her to collect some acorns for me. I had no idea what I wanted to use them for, but I just had to have some. She brought me a bag and I immediately got to work fancying them up with gold Rub 'n Buff so that they would have a new, gilded look!
diy golden acorns gather sign, chalk paint, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
I wasn't exactly sure what to do with my golden acorns so I slept on it for a few days. (Not on the acorns. That would be painful.) After rummaging around in my craft supplies, I came up with a great idea for a fall decor piece. I immediately got to work painting a wooden plaque that I had on hand.
Then I used my cutting machine to make a stencil that reads "GATHER," with the "A" replaced by a squirrel. You know those guys are crazy for acorns.
I applied the vinyl stencil and painted over it in a color different from the base color I'd already painted on the plaque.
After the paint dried, I removed the vinyl letters to reveal the words on the plaque. I then gave the finish a distressed look with wax.
Finally, I glued my acorns to leather cording and attached it to the plaque.
And that's it!
If you're interested in making a sign like this but don't have a cutting machine, check out my blog for ideas on how you can replicate the look without! You'll also find a full supply list and instructions for preserving natural acorns. Thanks for visiting!
Bre @ Average But Inspired

• Sandi

I'll have to wait until next year to give your great idea a try. My mom also gathered acorns for me. (she's 82, no less) I had plans to dry them, per a blog I'd found, but waited too long. I opened the bag they were in and I didn't have worms, I had mold! Icky, fuzzy mold. Next year I will definitely try the oven drying method before I try making them as beautiful as yours!

• Diena Cameron

This is such a darling idea, i just love it. I wish i could get my hands on some acorns around here but they just don't grow here as far as i know. Any chance you are selling some ?? lol