How to Paint Faux Trim on Closet Doors

423K Views
Do you have any of these closet doors in your house? You know, the sort of flimsy sliding kind? Well I do. And they happen to be in our master bedroom. I couldn't handle looking at these ugly things anymore, so I decided to paint the sliding closet doors with a faux trim effect. Here's what I did:
Time: 1 HoursCost: $35Difficulty: Easy
  • painted sliding closet doors faux trim effect, closet, painting
First step was to wash down the doors to remove any residue or dust. I didn't need to sand since these doors aren't wood, but if you have wooden closet doors you would want to use a medium and then fine grit sandpaper to prep the surface for paint (like these 3M Advanced Abrasives). To wash down the doors I just used some basic soap and water. If they had been glossy or had some other finish, a de-glosser might have been necessary. Then I needed to measure out where I wanted the rectangular boxes to go.
To see how I measured out and created my boxes with painter's tape, click through to see the full tutorial. And I even have a video too!

Suggested materials for this project:

• Painter's tape  (hardware store)
  • Paint  (Benjamin Moore)
TheSweetestDigs