How to Paint Faux Trim on Closet Doors

2 materials
$35
Do you have any of these closet doors in your house? You know, the sort of flimsy sliding kind? Well I do. And they happen to be in our master bedroom. I couldn't handle looking at these ugly things anymore, so I decided to paint the sliding closet doors with a faux trim effect. Here's what I did:
First step was to wash down the doors to remove any residue or dust. I didn't need to sand since these doors aren't wood, but if you have wooden closet doors you would want to use a medium and then fine grit sandpaper to prep the surface for paint (like these 3M Advanced Abrasives). To wash down the doors I just used some basic soap and water. If they had been glossy or had some other finish, a de-glosser might have been necessary. Then I needed to measure out where I wanted the rectangular boxes to go.
To see how I measured out and created my boxes with painter's tape, click through to see the full tutorial. And I even have a video too!

• Painter's tape   (hardware store)
  • Paint   (Benjamin Moore)
The Sweetest Digs

Questions on this post

3 of 7 questions

Comments

11 of 93 comments
Next