How to Paint Faux Trim on Closet Doors

$35

Do you have any of these closet doors in your house? You know, the sort of flimsy sliding kind? Well I do. And they happen to be in our master bedroom. I couldn't handle looking at these ugly things anymore, so I decided to paint the sliding closet doors with a faux trim effect. Here's what I did:
painted sliding closet doors faux trim effect, closet, painting
First step was to wash down the doors to remove any residue or dust. I didn't need to sand since these doors aren't wood, but if you have wooden closet doors you would want to use a medium and then fine grit sandpaper to prep the surface for paint (like these 3M Advanced Abrasives). To wash down the doors I just used some basic soap and water. If they had been glossy or had some other finish, a de-glosser might have been necessary. Then I needed to measure out where I wanted the rectangular boxes to go.
To see how I measured out and created my boxes with painter's tape, click through to see the full tutorial. And I even have a video too!

• Painter's tape  (hardware store)
  • Paint  (Benjamin Moore)
The Sweetest Digs

• Lucy Pinero

i have mirrored doors want to dress them up tell me what to do????

• Diannerigsby1234

Thanks 1st of all, my question, my front Door, backside of Front Door any idea's, it's Snow White, had indented edging like Panes, I really love the Grey Color Paint, w/White! Thanks very much. Dianne~~

• Tricia

I have 3 mirrored sliding glass doors on my closet, can you paint these to look like that women did, if so what kind of paint do you use? Do you have to seal it so it won't peel?

• Meran Ni Cuill

There are spray paints that work on any surface. I forget the brand but google it.

Etching paste is awesome! You might be able to find patterns printed and laser cut on adhesive paper, pull out the design, then cover thickly and evenly with the etching creme. (it can age so look at the use by date) You'll want the doors to be flat. and work outside in a shaded area or a garage with the door open. You'll be using water to wash off the creme. The mirror will still be there around the pattern, and you'll get a lovely double image of the pattern, making it seem more complicated than it really is.

It's some work but the finished work is quite nice!

• Lillian Welch

This inspires me. I think I will do this with my mirrored closet doors. solid back ground, color coordinated painted trim and then a pretty stensil in the center of each door. I have mirrored closet doors and I hate them, this just might be my answer. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Tracy Mccann

U can buy,like a glass frosting contact paper.just type it in on eBay.....loads of different patterns 2 choose from hope this is of help 2 sum1