Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

DIY Cardboard Pumpkin Craft

$0

This is one of my favorite original ideas for a craft I've ever had! Last year I was looking at the dollar section of Target and was tempted to buy a cute cardboard pumpkin decoration. I looked at it and thought, "This looks simple enough, I can make this myself!" This craft is even easy enough to do with your kids. So, I put together this photo tutorial to show you how!
diy cardboard pumpkin craft, crafts, halloween decorations, seasonal holiday decor
The first step is to cut up a large piece of cardboard into two inch strips. I used a frozen pizza box-love ALDI grocery store-because it is a light weight, bendable cardboard. This project won't work with thick cardboard.
After you've cut up all your strips of cardboard (approximately 16-20), gather an empty toilet paper roll.
Next, use a hot glue gun to glue the strips of cardboard to the toilet paper roll from the inside of the cylinder on both the top and bottom.
This is what it looks like when you finish gluing strips on. I liked the space between the strips. But, you could keep adding more strips if desired. You could also just cut the strips of cardboard thicker than two inches in the beginning.
The next step was to spray paint. I picked gold metallic and love how it turned out! I was able to spray between the strips of cardboard to get the inside painted as well. I stuffed the middle cylinder left open from the toilet paper roll with leftover cardboard. Then I hot glued in a piece of potpourri for the stem. You could use a large wine cork or paint a spice container cap as other options.
Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed my pumpkin Halloween craft enough to share it. I even created a Pinterest photo tutorial at the bottom, perfect for pinning!
Visit my blog http://www.welcome-to-the-woods.com for tons more fall crafts and decor ideas!
Melissa Woods

• Caren

Love this! I'm going to try it with card stock so I can skip painting.

• Margaret

Such a clever idea to use TP rolls. Thank you for sharing your creativity! An answer to " I'm not using my mason jar rings to make pumpkins dilemma"
    So Cute!